Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bristol Rovers (H)

Okocha10

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Can’t blame anyone for fucking night games off given the lack of entertainment on show and the freezer that is the unibol, not a pleasant experience midweek games in winter. 

It's more the lack of transport and Junior's bedtime to be honest.

Just now, bwfcfan5 said:

Can only say how I see it but to me job is too big and too difficult for Hill and he knows it..harsh as that may be it’s what it looks like.

Sadly, I have to agree with that.

We all know he's not got much to work with, injuries have been very unfortunate etc. However, what he should be capable of, at a bare minimum, is being able to set us up so we don't look like conceding every single time the opposition attack. 

I'd forgive him for boring us to death of it meant we could see a plan was in place, even if that plan solely meant he was making us hard to beat. 

Alternatively, I'd forgive him if he set us up to attempt to play attacking carefree football which, in turn, meant we left ourselves exposed at the back.

What I can't forgive is that we're doing neither of these. We can't defend and we can't attack. It's poor and it feels like we're sleepwalking into another relegation whereas we should be building towards starting next season with an identity and a way of playing.

8 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Much is a stretch, they hardly created a chance and we gifted them their goal. 

Yes, we did gift them a goal. We nearly gifted them a few others too.

I don't think they're a good side at all, but they were much better than we were. I certainly wasn't complimenting them.

Hes going to get till next season, we just have to back him till then I suppose saying through gritted teeth haha. Again whats happened to playing from the back the goal kicks have been a massive problem for me as we never win the 2nd ball & we just giving possession away every time 

Jesus that was bad.Was our RB injured ?Bristol without doubt the worst team we have played so far & they should have been at least two up at half time .Give Matthews the credit for that.

The ref missed the Buckley tackle which summed up his incompetance .

LB did well but struggling to find many other plus points .Did Luke Murphy actually make a successful forward pass?

Can understand a few having an off night but crikey we look worse now than we did three months ago.

There's me thinking Hill was a fan of fast, attacking football on the deck. 

Fuck me, even PP would have been surprised at the decision to get centre halves lumping balls up to absolutely nobody during the spells of driving rain.

How we got a point out of that shitshow is beyond me. Playing poorly and still getting points is the mark of champions... isn't it? 🙃

45 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

My word bristol are gash

referee just another clueless fool get them every week 

Buckley no comment 

why doesn’t the scoreboard put extra time up

I was saying that.  Someone explain why we arent allowed to know how long is to go when injury time lasts ages, why does the clock stop at 90?  Re Bristol being gash, I cant disagree, but they were streets ahead of us in every aspect of the game except defending a corner.  

54 minutes ago, Anderson said:

That defending by Edwards for their goal was comfortably the worst sequence of defending I have ever seen in professional football. And I genuinely don't think I'm being hyperbolic when I say that, just dreadful. 

I'm happy to be proved wrong, but I'm not seeing what Edwards brings to the team that is better than Zouma; less athletic, worse in the air, slower.  Unfortunately I'm feeling like he's not going to make it in the league.

22 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Sadly, I have to agree with that.

We all know he's not got much to work with, injuries have been very unfortunate etc. However, what he should be capable of, at a bare minimum, is being able to set us up so we don't look like conceding every single time the opposition attack. 

I'd forgive him for boring us to death of it meant we could see a plan was in place, even if that plan solely meant he was making us hard to beat. 

Alternatively, I'd forgive him if he set us up to attempt to play attacking carefree football which, in turn, meant we left ourselves exposed at the back.

What I can't forgive is that we're doing neither of these. We can't defend and we can't attack. It's poor and it feels like we're sleepwalking into another relegation whereas we should be building towards starting next season with an identity and a way of playing.

Excellent post.

3 months ago I thought we looked capable of stopping up.  Since Accrington we've gone backwards. Rapidly

52 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

10600 on my arse 

looks good compared to other local teams crowds tonight though 

I think this discussion has been done to death, its not size of crowd its tickets shifted (not necessarily sold).  Every club does it, so all the published attendances in tomorrow's papers will be exaggerated, nobody knows the attendances any more except for cup games.

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Have to agree with all the above. On Keith Hill I know he has a raw deal but that was gash and rovers not much better. Give Hill 10 games next season and then make a call. 

Aye

50 minutes ago, Okocha10 said:

Politic was well off the pace today he must of been ill, just didn’t seem as sharp as he has been in previous games. Luke Murphy well... soon as he goes the better, starting become my most hated player. Fleming motm he was solid all through the game shame though he’s not our player!

Agree entirely on Murphy.  Whenever he goes near the ball I can feel myself getting annoyed, because it means we are either going to give the ball away or we are going to do a pointless 12 yard pass, and not forward.  Literally that's all he does, cant tackle, head or drive forward.  Him being a pro footballer is a complete mystery to me, up there with Trotter and Thorpe.

Disagree hugely on MOTM, anyone at that game has to say Lowe was by far our best player, covered every blade of grass, won every challenge, led the team and played well in 2 positions.  

• Moderators

I like Edwards and though he's not a child he's still learning

Why he left that cross, god only knows but Zouma mk2 and our left back could probably both do better as well

Edwards has a proper go at Matthews, so in his mind Matthews should be talking to him

For me, it's on Edwards, you don't want to ever be choosing to let a ball into the six yard box

Anyway, tonight's conundrum

If Emmanuel is injured, why not put brockbank on

Why is ogrady the last chuck of the dice

Whatever it is he does, he makes us better

Is the new Zouma really that much better than our Zouma....I'm not seeing it

1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

I spent the night at Northampton vs scunthorpe. Tell you something if we don’t empty 90% of that squad and get someone in charge who can set a team up properly we are absolutely fucked next season. 

it’s a reality check when you watch Northampton and think fuck me we couldn’t cope with this lot. That’s how bad we are 

Why Northampton Scunthorpe ? 

11 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Agree entirely on Murphy.  Whenever he goes near the ball I can feel myself getting annoyed, because it means we are either going to give the ball away or we are going to do a pointless 12 yard pass, and not forward.  Literally that's all he does, cant tackle, head or drive forward.  Him being a pro footballer is a complete mystery to me, up there with Trotter and Thorpe.

Disagree hugely on MOTM, anyone at that game has to say Lowe was by far our best player, covered every blade of grass, won every challenge, led the team and played well in 2 positions.  

Yeah I agree Lowe did play well, with Murphy what annoys me most is throwing’s, we are piss poor in general at them but with him he turns his back on the ball & he walks away. What fucking midfielder does that & doesn’t ask for the ball. Just hides away every game 

48 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Much is a stretch, they hardly created a chance and we gifted them their goal. 

Its not that they ever looked 2 divisions above us or anything, its just that if you look at any 10 minute spell in the match, I'd say the only one we 'bossed' was the spell when we scored, they were better in the other 8 (plus entirety of injury time).  They were clearly the better team for the entire 1st half, and for nearly every part of the 2nd half we couldnt get any real possession, but spent ages defending.  If they didnt create any chances, they had 2 cleared off the line in 1st half when we all expected a goal, and there were other chances in both halves when Matthews was under pressure, their keeper wasnt under pressure once aside from the goal.  We had 2 Murphy headers and a shot from Politic a foot or 2 wide, absolutely nothing else.