Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bristol Rovers (H)

Okocha10

3 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Christ - I didn't notice the defender just leaving that cross last night for their goal.

Then have the brassneck to criticise Matthews. That's just beyond shite

Who was that?

I said earlier, comfortably the worst defending I've ever witnessed at a professional level.Edwards was particularly bad but the whole sequence from everyone involved was diabolical. 

12 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Christ - I didn't notice the defender just leaving that cross last night for their goal.

Who was that?

It looked like Edwards heard a shout from Matthews to me, as there was no reason to leave that cross. 

15 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

It looked like Edwards heard a shout from Matthews to me, as there was no reason to leave that cross. 

Can't see that being the case given Matthews (who make a magnificent save first save, it has to be said) was rooted to the spot. Lost count of how many goals we've conceded in similar circumstances this season.

17 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I'm not so sure, I think he's just completely lost himself and decides not to play the ball because it's in that corridor, but everything about it is bad. 

Poor first header from Nsiala, second ball doesn't get challenged even though Edwards and the LB could both do so, midfielder then commits unnecessarily and gets drifted past, Nsiala fumbles the challenge after that and then Edwards watches the ball go straight across the 6 yard box despite being able to comfortably control it if he needed. Honestly, I'd be embarrassed seeing that in a Sunday league fixture.

For their goal I don’t understand why Lowe stays on the other side of the striker instead of goal side, sorry Jason but that was shite defending, we just cannot even do the basics, we’ve shit players led by shit management team and owners who’ve lost their tongue, we’re not rescuing this situation with the incumbent team, management and owners. 

53 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Who was that?

Just seeing this myself Mick. Shocking.

As others have pointed out, just a terrible sequence of events.

But all game we just weren't aggressive enough, made it too easy for them.

22 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Hamilton, Darcy, Politic and Edward's are young inexperienced players, they need help from the older pro's, the only one I see taking up that mantle is Jason Lowe. 

Luke Murphy does okay, but he's not the type who is going to bring these young ones on. 

Emmanuel and the Dodoo seem to just want to coast through games, two instance in the 2nd half last night were Dodoo just completely bottled a challenge.

Flemming was sound, but wont be our player, big Daz Murphy is doing a sterling job up top. Matthew's will do for now, but he needs to cut out individual errors.

The players collectively need to start hounding the referee more, they just take the decisions, its fucking spineless and shows they don't care. No wonder the refs dont mind giving decisions against us, they know they're going to get an easy ride. 

Yes Chino Kieth has a big job on his hands, but for the last two months he hasn't got the basics right, since the Accy debacle has been found out and doesn't seem to have a clue how to go about it, devoid of tactics and putting square pegs in round holes.

I'm just hoping this Kenyon thing is going to bare something positive for the future, because at the moment I am just moaning through the games, it's becoming a chore!

... anyway on to the tramps, Cov, Mk, Wimbledon etc  ... 😀

Edwards is certainly inexperienced, but he's not young.

6 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

For their goal I don’t understand why Lowe stays on the other side of the striker instead of goal side, sorry Jason but that was shite defending, we just cannot even do the basics, we’ve shit players led by shit management team and owners who’ve lost their tongue, we’re not rescuing this situation with the incumbent team, management and owners. 

In a (slight) defence of Lowe, I think he'd be asking where his centre backs are at that point if he's having to mark their central striker.

4 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

In a (slight) defence of Lowe, I think he'd be asking where his centre backs are at that point if he's having to mark their central striker.

He’d no one else to mark,  as the senior pro he should have been marking the player next to him and screaming at Edwards Away!! No communication, no common sense and no guidance and he’s the captain. Utter shite.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

He’d no one else to mark,  as the senior pro he should have been marking the player next to him and screaming at Edwards Away!! No communication, no common sense and no guidance and he’s the captain. Utter shite.

Not doubting he should have done better, but when it is a cross coming from our left - contested by our full back rather than either centre back - then it's a serious pile of shite if the right back is the one being held at fault.

Just now, Leyther_Matt said:

Not doubting he should have done better, but when it is a cross coming from our left - contested by our full back rather than either centre back - then it's a serious pile of shite if the right back is the one being held at fault.

They all share the blame, none of them did there job, it seems ingrained in our club, we need a new Bruce to sweep the club clean, sadly it ain’t happening. 

• Site Supporter

I'm with Mounts Kipper on Hill, he gets this this year as a freebie, but we'd better be up there and looking like contenders after 10 games in League 2 or he can fuck off.

If his style around the club is like his interviews, he's not the guy. He just comes across as tinpot.

Hopefully there's a long term plan but it's hard to see what that is when we've gone from decent, flowing football to yet another bunch of Lump It And Hope merchants. That's what really baffles me. It was enjoyable for a while.

None of us know what happens behind the scenes, but he gets until October, as we're already down and that's not all his fault.

Agree he should be given more time but all the same we need to see some cohesive teamwork & tactics before this season ends.Against Pompey we were pretty decent even though we lost the game it was progress of sorts.

Ok there may have been fitness & illness issues last night & you cant factor out bad refereeing as illustrated last night(again) however there should be some improvement shown in the next match or the critics will be in the majority which is understandable given our failure to display a coordinated team effort .

Dont know if its just me but although Murphy (D) is our leading GS we seem to play more decent football when he doesnt play .Not advocating dropping him but we need to stop lumping it up every single time & taking the easy option.Hope Hill can sort this out but the clock is ticking.

Regardless of who is in charge I am sick to fucking death of seeing that football fly through the air 

almost over night we have gone from a team who was at least trying to play football to one that’s incapable of making a progressive 5 yard pass 

yes some players have gone back and others have come in but the nucleus of that squad have been with Hill since he walked through the door and for some reason only figured out but the onion knower every single one of them have gone backwards. 

i thought it couldn’t get any lower with a lumped ball not working against the Barnsley’s of this world under PP. it’s now not working against a team like that last night 

this league is absolute dog shit yet we’re making the majority of teams in it look decent. I’ve given up trying to work it out 

Right about getting in refs ear. Bridcutt did when he was here but getting walked all over now snd weak refs easily conned like last night or the one who let Shrewsbury kick and push us all over field need challenging. No nowty fuckers in that side just as no creativity in centre. 

1 hour ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Dont know if its just me but although Murphy (D) is our leading GS we seem to play more decent football when he doesnt play .Not advocating dropping him but we need to stop lumping it up every single time & taking the easy option.Hope Hill can sort this out but the clock is ticking.

It's a bit of a weird one on that front as I think he actually plays far better with the ball played in to his feet, but we just seem to naturally gravitate to pumping it forward when he's on the pitch, even when the likes of Dodoo/Politic/Darcy are playing just behind him and are all more than capable.

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

It's a bit of a weird one on that front as I think he actually plays far better with the ball played in to his feet, but we just seem to naturally gravitate to pumping it forward when he's on the pitch, even when the likes of Dodoo/Politic/Darcy are playing just behind him and are all more than capable.

I think it comes from having lowe and Murphy. Neither really capable of taking it off the defenders and getting play going.

In the end I reckon defenders just find it "safer" to lump it.

The second half against Portsmouth was as good as it's been for a while. Controlled the game largely.

Then Keith goes back to the usual.

We played some great stuff at times against Pompey, with Darcy flitting around finding pockets of space to make a lot of things happen. Dodo not being 100% was obviously an issue  but Darcy out there wasn't  the answer to it. Even then, when he decided to bring Dodo on he did it at Emmanuels expense and stuck him down the middle, where the game was already congested. Emmanuel and Dodo have done well and been productive down the right most weeks, we created nothing at all down that side 2nd half. 

While he might have wanted to bring Murphy back in it surely didn't need Hill to depart so much from what had worked well v Pompey, and at times v Shrewsbury, both far better sides than those cloggers last night.