Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bristol Rovers (H)

Okocha10

All this nonsense about Hill having a " free hit / pass" , he walked into difficult circumstances etc. is all excuses .

Our teams have no  organisation,  don't react to in game changes,  we are so slow, we allow the poorest of teams to dominate play and possession . Every team we play look streets ahead if us . It's embarrassing watching us . 

Hill is out of his depth .  It's also embarrassing listening to him talking to the press. 

He's by far the worst manager we've had at the reebok , macron ,  unibol . 

We all knew this season would be a tough ask however..

I didn’t pay my season ticket money for this “ free hit” to be fucking feet up & toss it off job

simply no improvement in key areas and that has nothing to do with a bleeding transfer embargo 

the lad faal signed an 18month contract he should be easing him in for next season any reason why he wasn’t in the squad

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Morizio said:

Points deduction...

Doesn't that make it a bit easier for Keith?

No one really expecting to stay up, just hoping. Majority just happy to see development and if no success in staying up this season, at least see green shoots for next season.

24 minutes ago, Nottm_Wanderer said:

All this nonsense about Hill having a " free hit / pass" , he walked into difficult circumstances etc. is all excuses .

Our teams have no  organisation,  don't react to in game changes,  we are so slow, we allow the poorest of teams to dominate play and possession . Every team we play look streets ahead if us . It's embarrassing watching us . 

Hill is out of his depth .  It's also embarrassing listening to him talking to the press. 

He's by far the worst manager we've had at the reebok , macron ,  unibol . 

Jimmy Phillips runs him close. 

Just seen the goals on Sky...I've never seen a defender leave a ball going across his 6 yard box, and I've been playing or watching football for 45 years.  Absolutely bizarre, just looks lazy and lacking responsibility to me.  Murphy's header was good, but I look at goals scored from corners every week and wonder why they dont just put a defender on the post, what an easy clearance it would have been.  11 back at corners, nobody on the posts, zonal marking....I'll never understand any of that rubbish.  And great to see a corner taken from the left by a left footer for a change.

10 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Just seen the goals on Sky...I've never seen a defender leave a ball going across his 6 yard box, and I've been playing or watching football for 45 years.  Absolutely bizarre, just looks lazy and lacking responsibility to me.  Murphy's header was good, but I look at goals scored from corners every week and wonder why they dont just put a defender on the post, what an easy clearance it would have been.  11 back at corners, nobody on the posts, zonal marking....I'll never understand any of that rubbish.  And great to see a corner taken from the left by a left footer for a change.

I’ve watched the goal several times and it’s a series of errors by our defenders in the build up. As the low cross passes Edwards he actually holds his hands up like you do when letting a ball run harmlessly out of play. I wonder whether he got a shout from the Bristol Rovers goalscorer to Leave it, it’s a snidey ploy that we used to use to good effect back in my amateur football playing days.

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I’ve watched the goal several times and it’s a series of errors by our defenders in the build up. As the low cross passes Edwards he actually holds his hands up like you do when letting a ball run harmlessly out of play. I wonder whether he got a shout from the Bristol Rovers goalscorer to Leave it, it’s a snidey ploy that we used to use to good effect back in my amateur football playing days.

Fairly sure that would result in an indirect free kick back then. Not sure now. 

To be honest, I don't recall ever seeing a free kick given because a player failed to put a name on a shout to, "Leave it!"

25 minutes ago, MickyD said:

To be honest, I don't recall ever seeing a free kick given because a player failed to put a name on a shout to, "Leave it!"

The Rovers goalscorer could have shouted”keepers” or even “Remis” if the player has been savvy enough to learn the keepers name. When we used to use the ploy we only used it only once or twice during a game, usually at a crucial time like Tuesday nights cross coming in, otherwise the opposition and refs would get wise to it. Obviously we’ll never know that this is what happened to Edwards, but it’s a possibility and would explain him making no attempt to clear - he clearly let the ball run,Instead of making a very routine clearance.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Ungentlemanly conduct so can bring a yellow card as well IIRC. Seen it given once or twice in lower leagues a good few years ago but nobody is daft enough to do it these days, especially in an attacking position. As above, it’s a different kettle of fish if the shout was “keeper’s!”

That game was truly dreadful.

i lost count of how many times we simply gave the ball away.

very few times we strung a number of passes together.

i really can’t see much progress at all.  One week we do ok and the next it’s awful.

looking forward, we surely need to start winning and getting a positive mentality back for both players and fans, so that we can hit league 2 running.  At the moment, we are slipping into the same zone as the relegation from championship.

As already said, surely we should either shut up shop and make it very hard for the other team to score then we don’t / cant lose, or we go all out attack like we did when we scored 100 goals in a season.  I don’t see either.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, marple whites said:

That game was truly dreadful.

i lost count of how many times we simply gave the ball away.

very few times we strung a number of passes together.

i really can’t see much progress at all.  One week we do ok and the next it’s awful.

looking forward, we surely need to start winning and getting a positive mentality back for both players and fans, so that we can hit league 2 running.  At the moment, we are slipping into the same zone as the relegation from championship.

As already said, surely we should either shut up shop and make it very hard for the other team to score then we don’t / cant lose, or we go all out attack like we did when we scored 100 goals in a season.  I don’t see either.

can you imagine the groans from footballing gods on the stands, if we sat back?

1 hour ago, HomerJay said:

can you imagine the groans from footballing gods on the stands, if we sat back?

I think if we did that and began to looke defensively sound, the vast majority would see it as progress and the building blocks needed to talk us forward.

It has to be preferable than being shit both defensively AND offensively.

• The topic was unpinned