Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Huawei

Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
Just now, Moon boy said:

Common sense prevails, nothing to see here for Doomsayers, some  might say Boris is not as daft as first thought

Nothing to see here is utter nonsense. The approach from the Government is actually better than I had hoped and limiting their rollout of the RAN is welcome news to me personally.

It's good news, a tough call, as we don't really want to piss off either China or the US at the moment, especially as we'll shortly be looking to strike trade deals with both in the near future. A bit of compromise is what was needed, and it looks like that's what's happened. I'm not sure that's the end of it though, as it's a massive deal. Let's see what Trumpton and Jinping have to say about it.......

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Sweep said:

It's good news, a tough call, as we don't really want to piss off either China or the US at the moment, especially as we'll shortly be looking to strike trade deals with both in the near future. A bit of compromise is what was needed, and it looks like that's what's happened. I'm not sure that's the end of it though, as it's a massive deal. Let's see what Trumpton and Jinping have to say about it.......

Hauwei have responded positively according to the BBC.

The same news outlet yesterday said hauwei use a lot of American components (intel etc) which contradicts their statement that the US has banned it's companies from dealing the the Chinese corporation.

4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Hauwei have responded positively according to the BBC.

The same news outlet yesterday said hauwei use a lot of American components (intel etc) which contradicts their statement that the US has banned it's companies from dealing the the Chinese corporation.

Not that I know a vast amount about it, but I thought there was a ban on Intel and Qualcomm supplying to Huawei  -  their products are still using these products, due to backlog orders, but at some point that will run out (unless the ban has been reversed)

I'd have thought, certainly for handsets, losing either Intel or Qualcomm would be a major issue, they can be replaced using their own tech (Kirin 990?)  -  the big issue would be not dealing with Corning I'd have thought, as their technology is way above other offerings out there

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Not that I know a vast amount about it, but I thought there was a ban on Intel and Qualcomm supplying to Huawei  -  their products are still using these products, due to backlog orders, but at some point that will run out (unless the ban has been reversed)

I'd have thought, certainly for handsets, losing either Intel or Qualcomm would be a major issue, they can be replaced using their own tech (Kirin 990?)  -  the big issue would be not dealing with Corning I'd have thought, as their technology is way above other offerings out there

Cheers. That helps explain it a bit better. Frustrating when contradictory comments are made in essentially the same report.

• Site Supporter
45 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Aye but Huawei like Samsung do have a chip manufacturing facility.  Not that they can produce stuff to compare at the moment.

Biggest issue here is the actual network, not UE's. The limit of 35% of the RAN is significantly less than what I expected. 

• Site Supporter

I know absolutely fuck all about this kind of technology.

How is the Chinese spying on us any different than the yanks or the Russians?

If you don’t like it, climb up a lamppost with a bin lid and build your own 5G network.

27 minutes ago, Spider said:

I know absolutely fuck all about this kind of technology.

How is the Chinese spying on us any different than the yanks or the Russians?

If you don’t like it, climb up a lamppost with a bin lid and build your own 5G network.

What kind of bin lid would you need?

1 minute ago, Moon boy said:

What kind of bin lid would you need?

Surely would have to be one of those metal ones you don’t see any more, used for cinders 

The round thick rubber type ones could maybe be used with a lining of foil

Totally discount wheelie bin lid as they are square. BsB proved they don’t work. 

• Site Supporter
Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Fuck them.

Wonder if the US would pay for us to replace all our current infrastructure that is hauwei manufactured?

Aye. The problem came about well over a decade ago when BT was approached by Huawei to install some kit for free. BT loved it because it was free then very cheap and all the other vendors took them to court over literally 1000's and 1000's of copyright breaches.

Didn't matter, Huawei paid out to Ericsson, Nokia, Alcatel, etc without fuss, they had made their way into the UK (and subsequently Europe).  Only a matter of time before they took on the mobile markets across the world.  Again paying millions for copying everything from code to hardware to patents the lot.

They are the largest telecom equipment manufacturer in the world, all based on government money.

8 hours ago, Sweep said:

I don’t think a trade deal with China is on the table anytime soon, not according to Liz Truss anyway 

The American trade deal is the only viable one of any decent size in the short / medium term 

With this news and the tax on American .Com’s that looks further away than it was a month ago 

George Osbourne was talking about it on the today programme the other day...

Former UK chancellor, George Osborne, told the BBC that he thought the government would be wary of provoking the US over the new tax. 

"It will be a very brave British government that walks into a trade war with the United States at the very moment when centrepiece of its economic policy is to strike a trade deal with the United States," he told the Today Programme.

4 hours ago, Morizio said:

Surely would have to be one of those metal ones you don’t see any more, used for cinders 

The round thick rubber type ones could maybe be used with a lining of foil

Totally discount wheelie bin lid as they are square. BsB proved they don’t work. 

Ahh cinders, round top bin lorries, health and safety hadn’t been invented and bin men had to lift the bin to shoulder height to tip the cinders in the bin waggon, wind permitting 

• Site Supporter
15 hours ago, Winchester White said:

Aye. The problem came about well over a decade ago when BT was approached by Huawei to install some kit for free. BT loved it because it was free then very cheap and all the other vendors took them to court over literally 1000's and 1000's of copyright breaches.

Didn't matter, Huawei paid out to Ericsson, Nokia, Alcatel, etc without fuss, they had made their way into the UK (and subsequently Europe).  Only a matter of time before they took on the mobile markets across the world.  Again paying millions for copying everything from code to hardware to patents the lot.

They are the largest telecom equipment manufacturer in the world, all based on government money.

They've got massive form for this. Not just telecom type stuff neither.

They don't play by the rules.

I can understand going down this route initially, however I'd like to see us phase out their stuff and give it increasingly to other legitimate companies. So what if it costs more ultimately.

If china does effectively squeeze out its competitors, then it would be in a position to hike up prices anyhow.

Cunts.