Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Officially down

radcliffe white

• Members
22 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Was looking last night. Win games in hand, beat teams near us and you never know.

Need to start getting points away from home though urgently.

Winning our home games are essential, draws and now not much good at home 

My optimistic view is that we will finish above Southend, and on similar points to Tranmere. To do this, based on current form we need to get 24 points from 54, not far off from what we've recently done (22 points from last 54), so only a slight improvement needed, and fairly realistic. 7 wins 3 draws and 8 defeats is about as good as we can realistically expect in my opinion.

However, the reality is that we also need one of Accy, Rochdale, MK Dons and Wimbledon to have a particularly shit run of results to enable us to finish above them too. 

Not losing against Accy, MK Dons and Wimbledon over the 14 days from 22nd Feb to 7 March is our last chance saloon, and may not even be good enough. Will be interesting to see if KH prioritises these matches, and the tactics he uses in them.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, peelyfeet said:

My optimistic view is that we will finish above Southend, and on similar points to Tranmere. To do this, based on current form we need to get 24 points from 54, not far off from what we've recently done (22 points from last 54), so only a slight improvement needed, and fairly realistic. 7 wins 3 draws and 8 defeats is about as good as we can realistically expect in my opinion.

However, the reality is that we also need one of Accy, Rochdale, MK Dons and Wimbledon to have a particularly shit run of results to enable us to finish above them too. 

Not losing against Accy, MK Dons and Wimbledon over the 14 days from 22nd Feb to 7 March is our last chance saloon, and may not even be good enough. Will be interesting to see if KH prioritises these matches, and the tactics he uses in them.

I'd say winning at least 2, or probably all 3 is pretty vital to our chances of going from very remote to slight

1 minute ago, Biggish Dave said:

I'd say winning at least 2, or probably all 3 is pretty vital to our chances of going from very remote to slight

Probably right - the away matches against Blackpool, Shrewsbury and Southend are also key matches and good opportunities to get some points. 

I think the 12 point deduction and games in hand makes the table look like we are further away from safety than our comparative form suggests. 

It's likely that one of the bottom 8 teams will have a worse run of form than they have had so far - if we can have a decent run of 4 or 5 matches in the same period we will be in with a shout. 

It's a big ask but possible if we get it right, in the right games - Rotherham securing promotion before we have to play them might help too.  

Give it up, we're down and planning for next season.

17pts adrift of safety, means we have to match the others and win 6 games more than them. Most teams will win at least twice before the season ends, so we need a minimum of 8 wins from 18 games after previously winning just 5 of 26.

Not impossible, but highly unlikely, If I was a betting man...

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, Traf said:

Give it up, we're down and planning for next season.

17pts adrift of safety, means we have to match the others and win 6 games more than them. Most teams will win at least twice before the season ends, so we need a minimum of 8 wins from 18 games after previously winning just 5 of 26.

Not impossible, but highly unlikely, If I was a betting man...

You are a betting man!

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

For those who still believe we can stay up 

give it up

A difference between genuine belief and hope! :)

My biggest concern is no semblance of real development. Players, teams, ideas change constantly.

Next year concerns me a bit as it appears we'll just be Rochdale old boys. Outdated and stale.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

In reality, we were down the minute that twat Bassini delayed the take over so it all rumbled on into the season. Even completing 2 weeks earlier would have given us a far better chance of staying up 

The theory is quite right, but I'm not convinced Keith would have got the points anyhow.