Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oldham Athletic in Financial Trouble

Freddie Hill

33 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I read somewhere that Wheater turned down a move back to Bolton the other week. He probably wanted more financial security.

I think that was more a case of Wheater trying to engineer a move.

This has been on the cards for a while with Oldham, would be a good local away game next season for us. Can see them going the same way as Bury unfortunately, can't see an owner being attract to buy a club in that area. It's a shithole, Paul Scholes probably could buy the club but he would rather fund Fake United FC.

2 of my best ever away days there.

A 3-2 win courtesy of a last minute Wayne Foster winner and a 4-4 league cup draw that sent us through. Last minute equaliser too. Oghani I think.

Always lively there and freezing.  A good club though. I hope they get sorted.

I remember being in the Chaddy end in the 70’s watching us play Owdum. Citehs home game had either been abandoned or it had been postponed at the last minute and some of their lads turned up at Boundary Park, some bright spark copper decided it would be a good idea to move the City mob from the open end and marched them all the way around the pitch & into the Chaddy end which was half Bolton and half Oldham, Citys lads joined up with Oldham fans and it was absolute bedlam with just a thin blue line of coppers separating the battling fans.Bolton lads more than held their own iirc.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

Too many football teams in the Manchester area, sadly too many folk from towns like Bolton/Oldham/Bury/ Rochdale gravitate and support Man U and Man City even if their parents were Wanderers fans, it is too easy to latch on to the big clubs and desert your home town team, especially when the product on the pitch would turn milk. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Members

Oldham fan at my work says they’ve partly themselves to blame with them not allowing the ground share with the egg chuckers, which would have brought in a bit more revenue but they refused to because it would have ruined the pitch.