Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oldham Athletic in Financial Trouble

Freddie Hill

Noticing their attendances in last 10 years or so, when did they become so poorly supported?  Like just slightly above what Bury and Rochdale would get at the same level?  In the 70s, 80s and 90s their crowds were generally on a par with what us, Preston,  Blackburn, Burnley, Blackpool would get in similar circumstances, now they just look like another very small club.  

Hope they survive, if only for our local derby next season (hope Morecambe and Macc stop up too).  Wheater really picks his clubs, he'll probably end up at Macc next season.

Any local round here who hasn’t latched on to one of the Manc clubs is a yonner. Strange breed. Entirely harmless but seem to hate us more than any of the other local North West clubs for some reason.

Know a couple of lads who work at the club. They blame it entirely on SKY, the Prem, etc. Kids now don’t want to go to a freezing shithole with their Dad, rather sit and watch the Prem on TV and parade around in red or blue kits 

The game’s gone. Oldham isn’t big enough or have the right demographic to support a league club is their thinking. The only money they get that they can work with is through the gate basically. Good junior setup but any decent kid looks to get scouted and get out asap 

28 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Any local round here who hasn’t latched on to one of the Manc clubs is a yonner. Strange breed. Entirely harmless but seem to hate us more than any of the other local North West clubs for some reason.

Know a couple of lads who work at the club. They blame it entirely on SKY, the Prem, etc. Kids now don’t want to go to a freezing shithole with their Dad, rather sit and watch the Prem on TV and parade around in red or blue kits 

The game’s gone. Oldham isn’t big enough or have the right demographic to support a league club is their thinking. The only money they get that they can work with is through the gate basically. Good junior setup but any decent kid looks to get scouted and get out asap 

I may be reading this wrong but surely we applaud those who haven’t chose rags or massives. 

Edited by tomski

2 hours ago, tomski said:

I may be reading this wrong but surely we applaud those who haven’t chose rags or massives. 

Of course we do. And that’s the problem these blokes face. They try to get their kids interested in the local club that they work for and the young un’s aren’t bothered. They don’t want to go to Boundary Park on a Saturday but will happily sit in front of SKY at teatime and watch a Manc club on TV and then wear their colours on the local 4G pitch. Sad

10 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Of course we do. And that’s the problem these blokes face. They try to get their kids interested in the local club that they work for and the young un’s aren’t bothered. They don’t want to go to Boundary Park on a Saturday but will happily sit in front of SKY at teatime and watch a Manc club on TV and then wear their colours on the local 4G pitch. Sad

I hear you 

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, Francis Fogarty said:

I scored a goal on that plastic pitch at Oldham when they used to rent it out.

I've also scored at Deepdale when they had it too. Two league pitches played on, two goals.

100% record. Beat that Lewandowski.

Can’t beat you for goals but played on Deepdale before the 2-2 Green, Stubbs game in 93? For BWSA. 1 or 2 lads on here played in that I believe

3 hours ago, Francis Fogarty said:

I scored a goal on that plastic pitch at Oldham when they used to rent it out.

I've also scored at Deepdale when they had it too. Two league pitches played on, two goals.

100% record. Beat that Lewandowski.

I also played on the Deepdale and Boundary Park plastic and scored at Oldham, possibly the best goal scored at Boundary Park that season.  Early 90s I think, played for a Civil Service team.  So glad Bolton never went down the plastic pitch route that was rumoured at one point in mid 80s, it was like concrete to play on, not like the modern versions.

• Site Supporter
On 31/01/2020 at 15:06, Rudy’s Message said:

Oldham fan at my work says they’ve partly themselves to blame with them not allowing the ground share with the egg chuckers, which would have brought in a bit more revenue but they refused to because it would have ruined the pitch. 

A big housing estate would have a similar effect.