Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The year of the rat - not in suffolk!

bolty58

• Members

Our dog must bring in a mouse vole or shrew once a week, he’s a  Beagle and the woman we got him from said it’s one of their favourite things to do so reward him when he does it. Our Maude nearly faints every time 😁

• Members
21 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Our dog must bring in a mouse vole or shrew once a week, he’s a  Beagle and the woman we got him from said it’s one of their favourite things to do so reward him when he does it. Our Maude nearly faints every time 😁

Haha...my brother used to breed Jack Russells in the Blue Mountains. His alpha male Pirate was the same. Every morning they'd find a line up of kills on the verandah. Snakes, rats, you name it.

Caught up with him eventually as one morning he never came home. Must have taken on something bigger and stronger than himself or a snake bit him. Fearless bugger he was. Sweetest dog you'd ever meet in the home - great with the kids and loved a good petting. Vicious killer out on the nocturnal prowl!

• Members
4 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Haha...my brother used to breed Jack Russells in the Blue Mountains. His alpha male Pirate was the same. Every morning they'd find a line up of kills on the verandah. Snakes, rats, you name it.

Caught up with him eventually as one morning he never came home. Must have taken on something bigger and stronger than himself or a snake bit him. Fearless bugger he was. Sweetest dog you'd ever meet in the home - great with the kids and loved a good petting. Vicious killer out on the nocturnal prowl!

Grandparents had Jacks all their lives I love them, The Mrs wanted a bigger dog so we got a Beagle, he’s barmy though, we take him out in to the fields and he’ll spot something and he’ll chase it, foxes, rabbits, squirrels. Fuck knows what he’ll do if he ever caught one he’s too bloody soft. 

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Grandparents had Jacks all their lives I love them, The Mrs wanted a bigger dog so we got a Beagle, he’s barmy though, we take him out in to the fields and he’ll spot something and he’ll chase it, foxes, rabbits, squirrels. Fuck knows what he’ll do if he ever caught one he’s too bloody soft. 

What's his recall like?

A couple round our way; one has to stay on its lead as it's numb as a piss-stone and won't come back if it fucks off after something.

• Members
7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

What's his recall like?

A couple round our way; one has to stay on its lead as it's numb as a piss-stone and won't come back if it fucks off after something.

He went to training for the first year of his life so that’s like 7 years for him so he’s equivalent to a human doctor 😁

Hes good I have a clicker and he’ll stop dead with one click and come back with 2, only thing that doesn’t stop him is if he sees a fox.  I suppose it’s just bread into him but we rarely see them by the time we go out. 

My mam and dad have a Springer. Got him from a hunting family who had an accidental litter.

He bombs through overgrowth barking at the birds.

He 'caught' a frog in the parents garden over the summer, he freaked the fuck out when it jumped up into his face and he ran to his hiding spot in the bushes and wouldn't come out.

My dog is a lazy bugger just like me so doesn't bother with anything, except the neighbours chickens who she's taken a serious dislike to.

9 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Used to have a jack russell. She was hard as nails. Knackered ligaments early on in life but you'd never know it. Later in life got cataracts but even being 14 and falling down stairs due to poor eye sight she'd get up like nothing had happened 

Then her liver packed up and that was it 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Rudy’s Message said:

He went to training for the first year of his life so that’s like 7 years for him so he’s equivalent to a human doctor 😁

Hes good I have a clicker and he’ll stop dead with one click and come back with 2, only thing that doesn’t stop him is if he sees a fox.  I suppose it’s just bread into him but we rarely see them by the time we go out. 

Human doctor! Quality.

One of mine has a brilliant recall.

One is ok, but has developed a bit of a stubborn streak when he realises we are going home.

One is an ignorant twat that comes back when he wants.

Wife has got them all to come back to a dog whistle, which is great, but it's accompanied with a treat. I don't want every recall request to be based around food though, so tend not to bother.

• Members
36 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Human doctor! Quality.

One of mine has a brilliant recall.

One is ok, but has developed a bit of a stubborn streak when he realises we are going home.

One is an ignorant twat that comes back when he wants.

Wife has got them all to come back to a dog whistle, which is great, but it's accompanied with a treat. I don't want every recall request to be based around food though, so tend not to bother.

He’s great. He only gets rewarded when we come in from a walk and he’s been good. I don’t even need the clicker that much anymore. 
Id like another dog, but a second child has to come first so I’m told 😁

• Members
8 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I'm out everyday in the woods with my Border Collie, almost every Beagle i see tends to  ignore it's  owners commands and just do what the fuck it wants.

Beagles also seem to enjoy barking.....a lot.

There some right shits, but I think they get the reputation of being good from the start and can just do what they want. 
When Buddy was a pup I almost regretted it he was barmy, but I worked hard with him and he’s incredibly obedient now. I suppose you get out what you put in.

• Site Supporter
34 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I'm out everyday in the woods with my Border Collie, almost every Beagle i see tends to  ignore it's  owners commands and just do what the fuck it wants.

Beagles also seem to enjoy barking.....a lot.

Whereabouts do you take yours? Decent sized area?

Always on the lookout for new places, to keep things fresh.

Borsdane Woods,it borders  Aspull/Westhoughton/Hindley and is probably a two and a half mile stretch from top to bottom with plenty of paths/bridges shooting off in other directions - some nice walks,muddy in places at the mo but there's a brook runs down the centre of it - handy for cleaning the dogs off .

The car park is 300m behind the Gerrard Arms in Aspull.. 

I know this view is unpopular on this forum, but I’ve never liked dogs, it’s not helped by the last two weeks having to get bandages changed from being bitten.

Also, the whole when I’m sat having a beer or meal and some mutt starts sniffing round and the ‘oh, they’re super friendly’ they might be, but I didn’t ask for them to come round, so take it away.

If you look after a dog and keep it on a very tight lease in public and pick up its shit (another reason why I’d never have a dog) fair enough. Don’t assume everyone loves your animal, especially us cat folk! 😉

• Members
8 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I know this view is unpopular on this forum, but I’ve never liked dogs, it’s not helped by the last two weeks having to get bandages changed from being bitten.

Also, the whole when I’m sat having a beer or meal and some mutt starts sniffing round and the ‘oh, they’re super friendly’ they might be, but I didn’t ask for them to come round, so take it away.

If you look after a dog and keep it on a very tight lease in public and pick up its shit (another reason why I’d never have a dog) fair enough. Don’t assume everyone loves your animal, especially us cat folk! 😉

I would have put good money on you being a cat person 😁

• Members
7 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I’m not really an animal person, I have to put up with cats in the house. Happily live without domestic animals, just don’t understand those who need a pet to be honest, don’t have the time or the inclination.

My dog is a companion, he’s there’s when I’ve  had a shit day, gets me out of the house, looks after the sprog and Mrs when I’m away. Wouldn’t be the same gaff without him. 

Dogs are better people than some people. 

38 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I’m not really an animal person, I have to put up with cats in the house. Happily live without domestic animals, just don’t understand those who need a pet to be honest, don’t have the time or the inclination.

Good. Wouldn't want s dog to have to put up with you