Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Advance Train Tickets

Leyther_Matt

I know train tickets are essentially a pain in the arse in this country to begin with, but has anyone heard of services not having any Advance tickets at all on sale?

Looking at booking trains from Piccadilly to Euston for the London v Leigh RL game in April. Advance tickets went on sale today but are only showing for a handful of trains on that route for that day, and even fewer if travelling from Wigan/Warrington instead.

Having sent a tweet to Avanti, they said "It will all depend on the retail team's allocation. They may decide not to allocate Advance tickets for a number of reasons. Advance tickets are allocated, largely to manage demand and passenger pressure on other services. I see that there is no allocation on the earlier services on a Sunday, this will to encourage people to travel later if they can." Surely that's bullshit given how few services actually have Advance fares available and instead they've just not got round to putting them on sale yet, with left hand and right hand working independently.

Given how often I've booked trains over the years for away days and the like, I've literally never heard of there being zero Advance tickets, especially on a Sunday so wondered if anyone had heard anything similar.

• Site Supporter

We had similar last year on the way back from Millwall - I think it was Citeh who had been at West Ham which was the cause of it.

We booked to come back via Stafford on the Liverpool train, only about a 15 minute wait but worth it to save quite a few quid

8 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

We had similar last year on the way back from Millwall - I think it was Citeh who had been at West Ham which was the cause of it.

We booked to come back via Stafford on the Liverpool train, only about a 15 minute wait but worth it to save quite a few quid

Not even any games scheduled for the Sunday yet and the Marathon isn’t until the following week. Will just hold out hope that they’re going to drip them through over the next few days. Clear as mud. 

30 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I know train tickets are essentially a pain in the arse in this country to begin with, but has anyone heard of services not having any Advance tickets at all on sale?

Looking at booking trains from Piccadilly to Euston for the London v Leigh RL game in April. Advance tickets went on sale today but are only showing for a handful of trains on that route for that day, and even fewer if travelling from Wigan/Warrington instead.

Having sent a tweet to Avanti, they said "It will all depend on the retail team's allocation. They may decide not to allocate Advance tickets for a number of reasons. Advance tickets are allocated, largely to manage demand and passenger pressure on other services. I see that there is no allocation on the earlier services on a Sunday, this will to encourage people to travel later if they can." Surely that's bullshit given how few services actually have Advance fares available and instead they've just not got round to putting them on sale yet, with left hand and right hand working independently.

Given how often I've booked trains over the years for away days and the like, I've literally never heard of there being zero Advance tickets, especially on a Sunday so wondered if anyone had heard anything similar.

I'd imagine you're even more frustrated considering their original reply was that they'd be on sale today.

Advance tickets for all the other trains that day went on sale somewhere between half 9 and 11pm tonight. Work that one out. £60 return starting price on a Sunday morning to London sounds a bit steep to me, but at least I've been able to do it as a group ticket so got it down to £48 each which isn't too bad, all told. Can relax now. And feel a little smug in trusting my gut feeling to ignore the official advice.

1 hour ago, zurichwhite said:

Is there still a fast train like Virgin comfort standard nowadays between Manc and Euston? Thanks

I don’t know that anything has changed, apart from the name