Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transgender treatment/therapy

globaldiver

Its provided for people who have genuine issues with their sexuality. Not just anyone who rocks up. 

Given such issues can cause long term mental health issues then I think it's reasonable to do so on a case by case basis. Rather than the very costly long term mental health care that might otherwise be required.

Its a bit like plastic surgery that is provided where there is a mental health benefit - you can't just rock up and get a nose job - but if you are assessed over a long period of time and the medics feel you will benefit then its reasonable for some to have the treatment. 

And I honestly think you can only evaluate on a case by case basis for stuff like this. 

2 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Its provided for people who have genuine issues with their sexuality. Not just anyone who rocks up. 

Given such issues can cause long term mental health issues then I think it's reasonable to do so on a case by case basis. Rather than the very costly long term mental health care that might otherwise be required.

Its a bit like plastic surgery that is provided where there is a mental health benefit - you can't just rock up and get a nose job - but if you are assessed over a long period of time and the medics feel you will benefit then its reasonable for some to have the treatment. 

And I honestly think you can only evaluate on a case by case basis for stuff like this. 

Yup spot on.

It's not like folk walk in to the GP and say "I feel like a lass doc, please can I book in to have me knob lopped off?"

These things are done over a period years

1 hour ago, frank_spencer said:

Yup spot on.

It's not like folk walk in to the GP and say "I feel like a lass doc, please can I book in to have me knob lopped off?"

These things are done over a period years

See while I agree with most of fan5’s post.

I really do believe a percentage of folk rock up demanding it, just as you describe. 

21 minutes ago, tomski said:

I really do believe a percentage of folk rock up demanding it, just as you describe. 

And quite rightly they'd be told the process takes time.

We know a fella who has just had his tits chopped off and is now waiting for the appointment to build him a cock from his fanny. The whole process has taken years

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Yes.

May well save money long term.

Patients aren't given treatment at the drop of a hat either. Have to jump through hoops to start.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Yes.

May well save money long term.

Patients aren't given treatment at the drop of a hat either. Have to jump through hoops to start.

Must be hard for a bloke in high heels to jump through a hoop. 

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, tomski said:

You can't even book a vasectomy without it requiring a councelling session to make sure you're making the decision for the right reasons so I very much doubt any GP would accept, "I fancy being a wench!" from his patient without having significantly more of a chat than it takes prior to having your tubes done.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, frank_spencer said:

And quite rightly they'd be told the process takes time.

We know a fella who has just had his tits chopped off and is now waiting for the appointment to build him a cock from his fanny. The whole process has taken years

I know a lass who's become a lad.

It's cost the NHS a huge, fucking HUGE amount of money.

Personally, I don't think the taxpayer should foot the bill. They won't pay for me a hair implant, or fancy new chompers or a bigger nob, no matter how much I beg and claim it's ruining my life.

You're born a lass, you either stay that way or pay for it yourself.

I've no problem or moral objection to anyone wanting to have a swap, live and let live, I don't care and all power to you etc.

But I ain't paying. It's bullshit.

9 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

It's for people who are experiencing gender disphoria (although in reality I think it's sex disphoria) rather than issues with their sexuality.

There are increasing ethical concerns regarding best practice, particularly relating to the treatment of young people, but there's no doubt that for many surgery can help to reduce symptoms. It's a very complex issue.

Edited by Lt. Aldo Raine

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Perhaps once changed, they become less likely to suffer from mental health issues, and become more productive in their life without the burden weighing them down.

Similar refusal could be made to couples wanting ivf.

I get that; I’d like to see an analysis.

I wonder if any was ever done?

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Perhaps once changed, they become less likely to suffer from mental health issues, and become more productive in their life without the burden weighing them down.

Similar refusal could be made to couples wanting ivf.

Some do, some don't. There's a growing de-trans community, many of whom feel they were let down by health professionals and who, as best I can tell, receive little support. It's a very difficult thing to gauge and balance.

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Some do, some don't. There's a growing de-trans community, many of whom feel they were let down by health professionals and who, as best I can tell, receive little support. It's a very difficult thing to gauge and balance.

No such thing as a perfect system. Only so far you can go.

I have a family member who went through the whole process and it was a considerable time from start to finish. Not sure how much criticism can be levelled at health professionals, as ultimately it's a personal decision, and only the individual can truly judge what's right for them.

24 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

I get that; I’d like to see an analysis.

I wonder if any was ever done?

I'd hazard a guess it was. See there's these chaps called NICE, it's the kind of their 'thing.' They tend to get a bit of a stick, even from people who hate any kind of public spending, when they don't sign something off on a whim.