Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Football broken beyond repair.

freds dad

• Site Supporter

I've probably watched 3 premier league games this season.

If it wasn't for cricket and NFL I'd cancel Sky Sports.

Even MOTD I'll watch 4/5 times a year tops.

Couldn't give a fuck about a European SuperWankOff. It's always been heading that way, leave them to it. The franchise model of the NFL is in their minds. They'll want every major city in Europe to have a SuperDooperClub.

4 hours ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Only way to stop it is caps. But I think its too far gone. 

I would suggest caps are illegal but awaiting someone to challenge them in the courts. If you don't like EPL don't watch it; it's not compulsory. I like it: some quality games and Champs League seems to have got better recently with some belting games, even in the group stages.

Edited by Mannyroader

• Members
1 hour ago, Mannyroader said:

I would suggest caps are illegal but awaiting someone to challenge them in the courts. If you don't like EPL don't watch it; it's not compulsory. I like it: some quality games and Champs League seems to have got better recently with some belting games, even in the group stages.

Champions League is incredible. Some of the best football you’ll see and incredibly difficult to win

• Site Supporter

I've watched more premier league games this year than for a while. Enjoyed most of them too.

Haven't seen a champs league game since it fooked off. Even then, it wasn't particularly entertaining.

League set up is shit. Get European matches back on a knock out basis.

11 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Champions League is incredible. Some of the best football you’ll see and incredibly difficult to win

Real Madrid have won 4 Champions Leagues in the last 7 years and one Spanish title in that time which suggests it has been easier to win the Champions League than finish above Barcelona

Bolton Wanderers & England, I get bored watching any professional clubs,  really can't be arsed.  I'm not a football fan at all, saying that I love 11 a side sunday league football.  11 lads arguing whos putting the nets up and playing another set of lads full of last night's beer with attitude.  Tremendous. 

• Members
11 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Real Madrid have won 4 Champions Leagues in the last 7 years and one Spanish title in that time which suggests it has been easier to win the Champions League than finish above Barcelona

They are the ultimate Champions league team they had too much firepower for almost anyone to handle over two legs

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I think football might be better if we just fucked off the top 6 to the European Superleague and spread whatever money was left around that bit more equally. 

Or is that just the politics of envy again? 🙂

No

the “big 6/7” are now so sanitised and media-driven that it’s more like a massive dick swinging contest between the main TV soap operas.

You've got hundreds of ex pro’s all yapping drivel for hours on end via telly, radio, internet. All trying to gain the most air time with increasingly wanky opinions and predictions.

There are a million cunts writing blogs or reports that no one reads or cares about.

And in the main, all this dismal dog muck is being lapped up by people who have never stepped foot in a football ground, let alone traipsed around the country/Europe whilst pissing in skips and sitting in the stench of your mates rancid arse.

Cant blame the clubs and players for mopping up, but I’d happily throw fucking Dave from Cambridge in the sea for being a MASSIVE Liverpool/ManU supporter when he could be following Cambridge and doing it the hard way the utter cunt.

When I’m king, people like Dave from Cambridge will be first against the wall. With middle lane hoggers on motorways.

I might write a blog about it.

Edited by Spider

• Members

I personally don’t see teams leaving the prem. 

Look at the variety of winners in the past ten years over the top leagues

City x 4 Chelsea x 3 Leicester x 1 United x 2 Liverpool x 1

PSG x 7 Monaco x 1 Lille x 1 Montpellier x 1

Barcelona 7 Real Madrid x 2 Athletico x 1

Bayern x 8 Dortmund x 2

Juventus x 9 Milan x 1

The other leagues want it because outside of the prem domestic leagues are boring. 

Liverpool, City, Spurs, Chelsea, would all be winning the other leagues, who outside the top one or two in the other leagues  would be winning or competing for the title in the prem.

No wonder they want a super league but it won’t happen. Total non starter. 

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, kent_white said:

You're probably right spider. I have up giving a shit about them years ago. Meanwhile I have mates from Swansea, Barnsley and Stockport having arguments on Facebook each day about who is the bestest (Man U, Man City or Liverpool). 

I don’t give a fuck about them, don’t mistake my opinion for emotion. I used to get annoyed but I’m past it. 😊

Theyre welcome to their over priced, sterile franchises. I’m bringing my lad up right by making him sit in the stadium in his home town, falling in love with being involved, being an active part of its future.

Multiple issues here though. Yes - and god knows we know it - there is the question of the finance needed just to compete at a fairly high level. Plus there's the issue of tv fans being pulled away from local teams to "the big six" (as they define it).

But if it's a question of winning the whole thing or finishing very high in the top division, well is this  a new issue?

Just looked.

In the 1950s 6 different teams won the top flight. 8 in the 60s, 6 in the 70s, 4 in the 80s, 5 in the 90s, 3 in the 00s and 4 in the 10s or whatever the fuck you'd call them. Cheat a bit and you'll get 5 when Liverpool win this year.

So you have to got back to the 70s to find a time when "diversity" was more likely - and that was down to Derby and Forest employing a genius.

If you look at all seasons since WW2 there are only 2 in which one of those "big six" did not finish in the top three - and the last was 1954.

Since the odd season in which Villa won it and Ipswich came 2nd in 1981, Liverpool and/or United finished in the top two right up till 2004. Then it was 2015 until they both missed out again.

So domination of places is nothing new - and however much you might hate them for it, if you were a PL "fan" neutral is it worse now that other teams can enter the fray?

Smaller teams have never thought of winning it - we were tickled pink to make Euro as will Sheffield Utd fans if they do it this year. But worrying about who can win it is surely not the issue - especially now that as many teams as ever (unless you go back to the 60s) can do it.

The worry is how teams below them survive - but the debate about to what extent that is the "big" teams fault is not so clear cut.

Rest assured, the "big six" or whatever you call them can fuck off as far as I'm concerned. All I' saying is that if you simply judge it on who can potentially win the whole thing then the competition is as open as it ever was in my time watching football.

The disparity between the haves and the have nots is greater than it's ever been and is only getting greater.

I read an article recently which suggested the answer might be drastically limiting the number of players a club can register, with the contracts of players who don't make the cut being rendered null and void. It can only work if imposed on a worlwide basis by FIFA but it'd be interesting to see the effects it'd have.

Ps. there was only ever going to be one of two clubs winning the PL this year, and probably for the next few years. The other "big" clubs might be bigger than the rest but they're still also-rans without much of a prayer.

4 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Best in their area but not nearly same level as Premier League top 5 or 6... or probably even 15 or 16.

They’re a mile off but they have a fraction of the money. Ticket money and whatever they get in Europe that’s it really. The tv money is massively adrift of what even the championship clubs get. 

Not saying you are saying this by the way but anyone that thinks rangers and Celtic with the Prem tv money wouldn’t be able to hold their own in the Prem are wrong. 

and for completeness whilst I have very limited interest in the Prem anymore I don’t ever want to see rangers and Celtic in English football. It’s just not right 

just tried a bit of tot up - and maybe wrong in exact figures, but I make it that in the last 10 years of the old style football league 32 different teams played in the top flight. During the last 10 years of the Prem the number is identical.

So while there are undoubtedly financial gaps, it can't be argued that teams aren't getting a chance at the big time. Of course, it  might be that taking that chance screws them...