Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wycombe (H)

Okocha10

3 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

Bob on.

Emmanuel had to be replaced but why not use the right back he had on the bench and who's going to be here next season? Taking Lowe out of the middle and leaving Luke Murphy in there on his own, surrendered any initiative we had.

If you mean Brockbank then I'm not sure he's really a right back. He's played all his youth career at centre half, though he's never going to be big enough to play centre half professionally. Any issue with Brockbank will not be personal, Brockbank's old man and Hill mixed in the same circles when I lived up that way. 

3 minutes ago, RoadRunnerFan said:

If you mean Brockbank then I'm not sure he's really a right back. He's played all his youth career at centre half, though he's never going to be big enough to play centre half professionally. Any issue with Brockbank will not be personal, Brockbank's old man and Hill mixed in the same circles when I lived up that way. 

Brockbank will be most likely be another who’ll follow Hill around, definitely not a full back but might make it non league centre half. 

Been some depressing afternoons and evenings at the Unibol in the last few seasons but that was one of the very worst. 1st half wasn't bad, some decent passing and movement, couple of good efforts from Hamilton, and going in 0-0 would have set 2nd half up in a much different way.

Second half, they hadn't threatened, we were just starting to look promising then shot ourselves in the foot again. That was in the 62nd minute, over 30 from the end, our clueless, shapeless, half arsed efforts from then on at getting back into were a disgrace. Not a single chance created or any concerning moments for their keeper or defence, despite them playing into the teeth of the wind. Far too many of those who'd looked decent first half completely disappeared, there was zero width,  zero quality, zero attempts. Absolutely mind numbing dross. 

Edited by ianofcleveleys

55 minutes ago, RoadRunnerFan said:

He's played all his League 1 career at full back up to now hasn't he?

It was madness to put Lowe back there and change our shape so we had less bodies in the centre of midfield.

Jason Lowe?

Limited ability, but no shirker. He's absolutely nowhere near the top of our on-field problems. No nonsense, nice and steady. He's very aware of what he can and can't do. If we could afford him, I'd have no issues with him being the leader of an otherwise fairly young team next season.

Brockbank
Edwards
Zouma
Bunney
Senior
Graham
Faal all need to given some game time in the comng months to prepare them for next season, but just 1 or 2 at a time, let's not throw them all in at once.

Had a moment of weakness near the end and started feeling slightly sorry for Hill in that the bulk of those he's been allowed to bring in on day one or in this window were available for a reason, not catching at other clubs in same division or nowhere near in the one above. Few of them the sorts he'd want to bring in with a free hand and a budget. Can understand, in those circumstances, why some of the likes of O'Grady, Bunney and Buckley were brought in, knew what they offered and trustworthy squad fillers. Unlucky with some of the injuries, especially Crawford, too much chopping and changing at the back, loss of creativity. 

Then I gave my head a wobble and reminded myself of how Hill spouts so much shite in the media, absolves himself of any responsibility one minute then defends his players the next, and appears incapable of drilling and organizing a team to get through even half a game without gifting opponents a goal  

1 minute ago, Duck Egg said:

It was madness to put Lowe back there and change our shape so we had less bodies in the centre of midfield.

Agreed, an absolutely menkul decision that only  pub team manager would make, oh hang on a minute.

As an aside, the East Stand roof leaks even when it's not raining ffs.

8 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

He's played all his League 1 career at full back up to now hasn't he?

Yes correct, about five games and maybe two last season. But youth cente halves always get let in at fullback first.

He's never going to be a professional centre half. I'm not the tallest bloke in the world and I have an inch or two on his old man. Harry is a shade taller than me. 

He's played all his youth career at centre half and if he's going to learn fullback on the job, it would be better if he did it on loan. 

Edited by RoadRunnerFan

6 minutes ago, Traf said:

Jason Lowe?

Limited ability, but no shirker. He's absolutely nowhere near the top of our on-field problems. No nonsense, nice and steady. He's very aware of what he can and can't do. If we could afford him, I'd have no issues with him being the leader of an otherwise fairly young team next season.

Brockbank
Edwards
Zouma
Bunney
Senior
Graham
Faal all need to given some game time in the comng months to prepare them for next season, but just 1 or 2 at a time, let's not throw them all in at once.

Voice of reason. Bravo sir. 

7 minutes ago, RoadRunnerFan said:

Voice of reason. Bravo sir. 

I've calmed down somewhat. I was fuming on the drive home. The M66 was treacherous and I was severely wondering why I keep going.

But, despite all protestations, we all know I'll still be there next season. 

1 minute ago, Traf said:

I've calmed down somewhat. I was fuming on the drive home. The M66 was treacherous and I was severely wondering why I keep going.

But, despite all protestations, we all know I'll still be there next season. 

Good stuff I'll be there too. Lowe is the least of our worries, we'll be lucky if we still have him next year.

Cool heads required in the stands almost as much as the dugouts next year and for the remainder of this. 

COYFWM!

5 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Brocky might be too small for central defence, but like someone said t'other week - Cannavaro was only about 3ft 6.

A can of fuckin' lager would do a better job than most of our centre halves this season.

How many games did Cannavaro play in League 1/2?

I like Harry and his family, his gran was friends with my mum. He's never going to be a football league centre half as long as I have a hole in my arse. 

1 minute ago, RoadRunnerFan said:

Different game mate. See their centre forward today? How many lads you see like that in World Cup/Champions League/Serie A? 

That's the level we are at now. 

So Cannavaro couldn't have marked that lardy fat lump? Aye awreet.

Seriously though, if Brockys good enough for central def then he's tall enough - doubt he'll make it in that position myself like. 

Cannavaro would have let him win the header then pinched his pocket afterwards. But the best are the best.

It's like saying Zach Clough aint much different size wise than Messi. It's true but still a false comparison.

I'd love it for Harry B to make it as a pro, but he's only going to make it as a full back/defensive mid as at a big stretch and a loan would be the best option. And to get back to my main point, I'm sure his non selection at the moment is not personal for the reasons given above. 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, RoadRunnerFan said:

Cannavaro would have let him win the header then pinched his pocket afterwards. But the best are the best.

That just reminded me of Kevin Francis at Burnden when we just backed off & let him win all the headers & swept up the knock ons... After the previous problems he'd caused us we finally made him look like the stump he actually was.