Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Euro 2020 in doubt

Okocha10

Nonsense. By then either the virus will be slowed by the warmer weather, be everywhere anyway or have died down.

In any event it will not impact upon the tournament. I'm certain - the only way it impacts would be if a mutation made it far more deadly than it is and then potentially the last thing we'd worry about would be a football tournament. We'd not be engaging in public life at all. 

• Site Supporter

I can see the six Nations not finishing properly now that Italy is suffering.

Cases in Switzerland, Austria, and Croatia now.

It must be a major concern, particularly if European countries go through a similar event as China, with a rapid increase then gradual tail off over the period of a few months.

• Site Supporter
21 hours ago, Widnes Two Hats said:

Oh bollocks, going to the England game in Austria in June, hotel booked and non refundable. We'll be fucked if our flights get cancelled

Does it not depend upon whether the fco dictate no travel to a particular area, in which case atol etc kick in? Assuming you have protection that is!

6 minutes ago, deane koontz said:

At least the people who bought tickets for this can now spend their refund on tinned food and cordial 👍

Be smart price gear after the losses for the hotels and transport are absorbed.

Sickener 

10 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

If they're talking of a 12 week period for the thing to grow and drop off again, it gets very close to the tournament.

Must be a genuine risk of it going.

If I was a betting man I would put money on it not going ahead as planned 

• Members
8 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Hahaha.

We all hope it goes ahead, especially for you, just can't see it being cleared up all over Europe in time.

Italy had a big increase in numbers again today.

I’ll be gutted but I’ll be gutted as a fan. There’s just a buzz in this country when a football tournament is on, even more so in this country.

• Members
1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Wonder if they could just delay it for a year?

I don’t know, I know they’ll always have contingencies but how could they have ones for this. 
It’s a lot of money and planning to cancel , but what’s more important?

Its 18 months till a vaccine can be deployed at a scale worldwide. If you cancel this then every large scale event, all football, all sport, all concerts, festivals etc will also need cancelling in that same period. Because this is a virus very similar to the common cold. It isn't going away. I say we get on with stuff and take sensible and proportionate precautions and steps to prevent health systems from becoming overwhelmed. Cancelling stuff makes no sense unless EVERYTHING is cancelled IMHO.