Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Euro 2020 in doubt

Okocha10

10 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

That's precisely what has happened in some places, and may be considered here as part of "social isolating". We'll have to see.

I think we'll start to see drop offs in attendance figures anyhow.

By cancelling everything I mean shutting down work, public transport, all sport, entertainment every non essential activity for 18 months. 

Unless you do that just picking big stuff and cancelling it IMO is just tokenism. People are still flying round from affected regions - that is probably a greater worry IMHO than a football game. 

Cancel stuff when there is good reason - i.e. it is high risk to hold it or the country cannot cope - but I don't see what cancelling the Euros will do in isolation - unless alongside a very long, and very deep set of restrictions - for months and months and months - in effect shutting down economies. 

8 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Air transport is gradually slowing itself down.

If people are told to work from home, and mass events cancelled then transport generally slows.

All six nations matches are now off at the weekend.

Wales v Scotland is still on as it stands I think

45 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Air transport is gradually slowing itself down.

If people are told to work from home, and mass events cancelled then transport generally slows.

All six nations matches are now off at the weekend.

The thing is whilst countries are still in the "contain" phase it makes sense. But once you're in "delay" and the UK example will be there within the week I think - restrictions like that make less sense unless you sustain it and double down on it. I can't imagine us doing that for a year or more - but lets see. 

31 minutes ago, maaarsh said:

Think you can safely change the name of this section to Euro 2021

I'd actually take that over some of the other schemes I've heard considered including reducing it to 20 teams or playing the games later in the year spread over the other international breaks.

A Euros in the wrong year swiftly followed by a Christmas World Cup the following year. Football is off its axis.

1 minute ago, Marc505 said:

I'd actually take that over some of the other schemes I've heard considered including reducing it to 20 teams or playing the games later in the year spread over the other international breaks.

A Euros in the wrong year swiftly followed by a Christmas World Cup the following year. Football is off its axis.

Glad I held off booking trains 

On 14/02/2020 at 13:50, Okocha10 said:

Really surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet by the media, coronavirus will cause havoc with this tournament being in different countries.

On 14/02/2020 at 15:07, bwfcfan5 said:

Nonsense. By then either the virus will be slowed by the warmer weather, be everywhere anyway or have died down.

In any event it will not impact upon the tournament. I'm certain - the only way it impacts would be if a mutation made it far more deadly than it is and then potentially the last thing we'd worry about would be a football tournament. We'd not be engaging in public life at all. 

I'm guessing fanny5 is going to row back on this fantastic prediction

On 13/03/2020 at 04:46, freds dad said:

Glad I was unlucky in my attempts to get tickets.

My mates brother has about £2K worth of tickets, for games all over the place, I'm not sure if he'd actually booked any flights or trains yet.

6 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I'm guessing fanny5 is going to row back on this fantastic prediction

Of course - I misjudged the preparedness and ability of the modern world to take extreme measures. I assumed we'd basically be letting it rip through - but clearly the world has reacted completely differently. I misjudged the way the world would react. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/02/2020 at 02:07, bwfcfan5 said:

Nonsense. By then either the virus will be slowed by the warmer weather, be everywhere anyway or have died down.

In any event it will not impact upon the tournament. I'm certain - the only way it impacts would be if a mutation made it far more deadly than it is and then potentially the last thing we'd worry about would be a football tournament. We'd not be engaging in public life at all. 

Ahem 🙂

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

And said he thought the world would just let it rip through!

Obviously, there's no way we will ever know, but it'd be nice to replay it

I'm inquisitive like that