Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Roughest Manc or Scouse Area's You Have Worked In.

leigh white

• Moderators

My first job out of uni was with ICL (now Fujitsu)

They had offices at Wyhenshawe and West Gorton

At Wyhenshawe, local scroats would hide in the bushes around the car park and jump out on staff walking back to their cars carrying laptops, then nick them

One bloke walked to the local shops at lunch and someone grabbed him from behind, stuck a plastic bag on his head, twatted him a bit and took his wallet and phone

The west Gorton office was a 10 storey building with a big fenced car park in the middle of some council estate 

If you worked late you were advised not to park your car by the fence as local kids threw bricks and firebombs over the fence in an attempt to ruin cars

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Winchester White said:

Is it just me that finds this all a bit depressing? Cunts ruling their area and absolutely nothing done by the police? Can you imagine what the poor fuckers who live there have to deal with day in day out? We are supposed to be a civilised country ffs.

No not just you, very depressing and annoying. My tale of Birmingham is paraphrased , the details of dealing with the police and the council over this instance and many others in almost seeking gangsters permission to work so that it doesn’t cause issues  and definitely changing the way you have to work is soul destroying , it’s a minority of times granted but it’s not isolated 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, fatolive said:

No not just you, very depressing and annoying. My tale of Birmingham is paraphrased , the details of dealing with the police and the council over this instance and many others in almost seeking gangsters permission to work so that it doesn’t cause issues  and definitely changing the way you have to work is soul destroying , it’s a minority of times granted but it’s not isolated 

What is really sad is that can't happen without corruption of some sort. This stuff matters much more than our membership if the EU yet we all don't care or realise (me included)

That tale of Fatolive's is depressing and sadly not surprising.  Stall holders on Salford market back in the 80's were routinely advised by the Bobbies that it was easier to pay 'protection' money than make an issue of it.

I've spent the last couple of years working around Longsight, Moss Side, Cheetham Hill etc with no bother up to now.  Harpur Hey seems like the ropiest area to me.

• Members
18 minutes ago, leigh white said:

I laughed when me and Miami were given a job on a dog rough estate in Liverpool, the lad's at work in St Helens waved us goodbye and said we wont be seeing you again with your accents. Had more brews and biscuits that day than anywhere.

You and Miami know each other? You both kept that quiet

12 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

That tale of Fatolive's is depressing and sadly not surprising.  Stall holders on Salford market back in the 80's were routinely advised by the Bobbies that it was easier to pay 'protection' money than make an issue of it.

I've spent the last couple of years working around Longsight, Moss Side, Cheetham Hill etc with no bother up to now.  Harpur Hey seems like the ropiest area to me.

Moston was a bit of a rough area 10 years ago, went past last year and it looks worse than ever.

Did the structural design on the main Greggs bakery in Openshaw, Manchester. There was an official allowance written in the Bill of Quants for protection money during construction.

Aside from drug use, and your routine daytime prostitution, the protection money was never actually required much to everyone's surprise. 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Winchester White said:

What is really sad is that can't happen without corruption of some sort. This stuff matters much more than our membership if the EU yet we all don't care or realise (me included)

In this case, not sure there’s any corruption, think it’s people not upsetting the Apple cart , more hassle than it’s worth sort of scenario. 

more annoying than depressing in the main.