Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Euro 1996 Memories

Super Bock

Seemed like an unbelievable time to be a football fan in England. Old Wembley bouncing to the Lightning Seeds, cheap continental lager and penalty shootout ecstasy and agony.

I was just turning 7 years old at the time, so I have very limited memories but I did make it to Czechs v Italy in the group stages and France v Netherlands in the Quarters, both at Anfield (thanks Dad).

A lad I worked with at BT had access to tickets for all the matches through a member of his family.

I saw all the England games along with a couple of other matches including the final.

A great experience that will live with me forever.

Which former Bolton player missed a penalty in Englands quarter final?

I know there's this narrative that Euro 96 was the starter for "plastic" football fans etc, but it was the first tournament I was old enough to really invest in. 94 was good but too late at night and no England, 92 and 90 I was 9 and 7.

I loved it and watched everything, but definitely as years passed I recognised that many of the games were a bit sub-par.

Always wondered why many of the grounds were half full too. Would definitely not be like that these days.

That Alan Shearer doc about it a couple of years ago was really good and it showed some camera angles of England's goals I've never seen before or since, one wide angle shot from behind shearer as he scored his second v Holland and the ground erupted gave me goosebumps. Watched that goal hundreds of times but never like that. Can't find the documentary anywhere now.

33 minutes ago, freds dad said:

A lad I worked with at BT had access to tickets for all the matches through a member of his family.

I saw all the England games along with a couple of other matches including the final.

A great experience that will live with me forever.

Which former Bolton player missed a penalty in Englands quarter final?

Hierro?

18 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

I know there's this narrative that Euro 96 was the starter for "plastic" football fans etc, but it was the first tournament I was old enough to really invest in. 94 was good but too late at night and no England, 92 and 90 I was 9 and 7.

I loved it and watched everything, but definitely as years passed I recognised that many of the games were a bit sub-par.

Always wondered why many of the grounds were half full too. Would definitely not be like that these days.

That Alan Shearer doc about it a couple of years ago was really good and it showed some camera angles of England's goals I've never seen before or since, one wide angle shot from behind shearer as he scored his second v Holland and the ground erupted gave me goosebumps. Watched that goal hundreds of times but never like that. Can't find the documentary anywhere now.

There's bits of it on youtube, about 25 mins. Prob more?

6 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

I've seen that, seems to miss the second half off and cuts out some of the match action. Who would do that who.

It's BBC so there may be a chance they'll show it again before this year's Euros. 

Maybe email the BBC to ask if they can stick it on the iPlayer?

26 minutes ago, jeep said:

It's BBC so there may be a chance they'll show it again before this year's Euros. 

Maybe email the BBC to ask if they can stick it on the iPlayer?

I was thinking that earlier, hopefully they will. I've badgered them on Twitter, and shearer himself. No response to this particular licence payer!

• Members

I was 8

I wasn’t old enough for 88, or 90, 92 didn’t happen neither did 94 so 96 was my first tournament.

My first England game was Scotland and I can remember it. Anytime I smell stale piss I think of  the old Wembley 😁

Actually cries when Southgate missed a penalty. 

I told him that when I met him last year he said yeah so did I. Top bloke.

The young Super Bock was a bit unlucky to see Holland at Anfield. The Dutch were expected to top group A

and England finish second and thus meet the frogs at Anfield. However the fantastic 4-1 defeat by England

consigned them up north. In spite of this, there was a BWFC England flag on the Kop that night.

I feel old. I was at the Scotland game at Wembley I'd say it still ranks as one of the best sporting days I've had. The whole atmosphere and feeling around the country was indescribable. I remember an old guy on the tube say it was like 66 all over again. Went to a couple of other non-England games too and it was a shame as noted that stadiums weren't always full. But the atmosphere was still very good.

Watched the semi final in a bar in London and I still remember the completely numb feeling as Gazza was what, an inch from the ball in extra time for the golden goal? The whole place had been rocking but went totally silent for a few seconds after as I think there was a dawning that even though for once we were far superior to the German side that they were going to beat us on penalties again. Not like 90 where we ran a world class German side to an inch of beating them and winning the WC but an average German side were clinging on and going to once again win on pens.

Not sure it beats 90 for me, but comes really, really close. 

I do vaguely recall having a Euro 92 sticker book and I watched a certain amount of USA 94 as it fell during the school holidays, but like a few above Euro 96 was the first tournament where I watched every game religiously.

I was a 9 year old Scotland fan (messrs McGinlay and Walker have a lot to answer for) so remember racing home for the early kick off against the Dutch. I have a very vivid memory of crying my eyes out on the couch when Gascoigne scored the second goal, and a not very enjoyable Monday at school, though admittedly not as bad as the day after Black Sunday a few months earlier.

• Site Supporter

Euro 96 was a fabulous time for me. Didn't do any of the games but as a 22 year old, working full time, loads of beer was supped and our local boozer often had fans from other countries staying in it.

Switzerland, we went round to one of the lads houses - his folks were away, about 20 of us there - not sure the neighbours will have approved of our language on that posh estate.

Scotland - the day of the Manchester bomb. Red hot day, went to York races. In the races for about 20 mins, placed a few bets then off into the city centre for footy and to get bladdered.

Every other game was spent in the Woodlands (my local at the time in Blackburn) Had Spanish, Germanys and Czech's staying in there at various times. The Spain game was particularly boozy. Ended up throwing up down someone's back as I tried to head to the loo. Not the best thing to do at the best of times but he was en-route to a wedding do so had a suit on. Whoops.

Germany was a real heart breaking end to it all. I still expect Gazza to score every time I watch that clip.

1996 was probably the best summer of my life.

• Moderators

was 19, the first tournament I watched down the pub - well, saw some of 94 but not the same without England

England Scotland on my 19th birthday

getting my nose bust in the Beehive when everyone went mental when we beat Spain, blood everywhere, kept on bouncing

3 Lions as well

ace times

I really thought we had our name on the trophy in '96, but to miss out to the Germans in the semi's on pens was gut wrenching, it was equally as bad as Italia '90 when we went out in the same way.

I did a couple of games at OT (Germany, Croatia, Russia and can't remember who else) and i saw the Czech Republic at Anfield.

Great days.

• Site Supporter

I remember the IRA bombing, the devastation in Manchester centre and the tournament still producing great memories.

Used to go for a beer occasionally in the castle on Oldham street when I worked in the city. They had a huge flag which, iirc, was donated to the pub by Czech fans afterwards.

• 10 months later...

Had a bbq and got my degree result the day of the Scotland game (and Manchester bomb).  I had also been to get my season ticket that day.

went to the Holland game - the best England game I ever went to.  Just brilliant.  Got back into Stockport the following morning about 5am.  Sun was coming in and we were in shorts, England tops and waving flags.  Great days.

• 3 months later...