Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Hitchhikers.

leigh white

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

I saw one towards the slip road junction at chequerbent a while back. Had a sign that just said north. I wanted to pick him up , Our Maude said no.

Then complains when we can’t get a babysitter.

Some people. 

You cunt, I only wanted dropping off at Blackrod.

• Members

5 of us thumbed it to Ewood Park one year. A Warbies van picked us up as we'd just passed Egerton. Lad was called Ramjam or similar - top bloke with a broad northern accent. I would have been in my teens trying to survive on apprentices wages. 

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, boltondiver said:

Got from London to Skye c1985

Top effort that.

Used to thumb a lift back occasionally, from uni, for a home game at burnden.

An old chap once picked me up, then came off the m6 and went through roach bridge. I'd never been that way before and shit myself at first in case he had an axe or some such.

In the end he virtually dropped me at the door, and was a really nice fella. :)

I used to hitch a bit when I was a lad. Have also picked up a few over the years. The last one was in the Lakes when me and the Mrs stopped to pick this lass up. Dressed up to nines. Peeing it down. Was obviously in a flap and asked if we could drop her at a hotel somewhere further down the road. We set off and within 5 minutes the place was there. I said 'That'll be a fiver please' as a joke and she started getting her purse out! I had to tell her I was only kidding.

Picked up a couple of lads at Oxford services one Friday night They’d set off from London on the Wednesday and we’re trying to get to Liverpool for a party that night. They looked fucked. Fell asleep as soon as I set off. Turned out they were carpenters building sets in the west end. Dropped them at Knutsford services about 8pm. 

• Site Supporter

Hitched it to Watford many years ago with another poster off here (RUR2R).

Bought a Harrington Jacket from that there London as they hadn't started selling them up north yet.

RUR2R bought some Levi's sta prest but, silly fucker, left them on a bus after the game.

I asked Nat if we could join the team on the train as we had 'lost' our tickets. He politely declined but wished us all the best.

Bunked it back & jumped the barriers at Piccadilly.

18 hours ago, leigh white said:

You never see any Trade Plate geezers holding up anymore.

I often have trade plates during the day - i don't use them to try and scrounge lifts though.

I seem to remember in the 80's/90's i'd often see lads carrying trade plates at the slip road entry to a motorway, it was done in the hope that other people in the motor trade would give them a lift.

2 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I often have trade plates during the day - i don't use them to try and scrounge lifts though.

I seem to remember in the 80's/90's i'd often see lads carrying trade plates at the slip road entry to a motorway, it was done in the hope that other people in the motor trade would give them a lift.

Probably see loads now.

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

The lorry deliverers were known as trampers.

Their weekly work often involved having a list of vehicles all wanting to be delivered from A to B. Problem was, every A was different as was every B. The skill in their job was to get to the next pick-up as cheaply as possible and to try and get to it before night so they have somewhere free to sleep