Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

TK

Mounts Kipper

Bumped into Tony Kelly tonight, I was with Man U fan and plastic Liverpool fan, said hello and he came sat with us for 1/2 hour, his love for BWFC was inspiring, said BWFC tried sign him twice and he refused then he had 10 minutes speaking to Nat and he signed, great to hear his comments on our fans, loves us big time, by now the  end of the night my mates were nearly signed up wanderers, what a top fella. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Members

Bumped into a few times at away games. Top fella.

Love the story that he liked a drink but couldn’t shake the weight,when playing so switched to drinking Champagne after he heard that’s what jockeys drink 

Tony Kelly was the type of midfielder that English football lacks to a large degree now. Certainly the England side needs someone who plays in that style - great passing and vision using the full width of the pitch. 

A lot was made of how Pirlo controlled the game when England played Italy in the 2014 World Cup and how we needed a similar type. We've developed and become a better side since then - but it's been based on raw pace and ability to beat a man. Both great things. But we still miss that pivotal silky midfielder in the Hoddle/Wilkins style. 

TK wasn't of that standard but could have been better had he been able to tackle his weight. 

Seems like he's a great bloke too... and has Bolton at heart. 

Edited by paulhanley

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

Tony Kelly was the type of midfielder that English football lacks to a large degree now. Certainly the England side needs someone who plays in that style - great passing and vision using the full width of the pitch. 

A lot was made of how Pirlo controlled the game when England played Italy in the 2014 World Cup and how we needed a similar type. We've developed and become a better side since then - but it's been based on raw pace and ability to beat a man. Both great things. But we still miss that pivotal silky midfielder in the Hoddle/Wilkins style. 

TK wasn't of that standard but could have been better had he been able to tackle his weight. 

Seems like he's a great bloke too... and has Bolton at heart. 

Agreed, he's a type of midfielder you hardly see now, he'd be criticised for not being dynamic enough, John Sheridan and Claus Jensen were in that mould.  All pure quality on the ball, priding themselves on not only keeping possession but making things happen not just the 10 yards sideways passing stuff (Luke Murphy etc).  TK a great character and personality and should be remembered as a BW legend on and off the pitch.   

10 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Agreed, he's a type of midfielder you hardly see now, he'd be criticised for not being dynamic enough, John Sheridan and Claus Jensen were in that mould.  All pure quality on the ball, priding themselves on not only keeping possession but making things happen not just the 10 yards sideways passing stuff (Luke Murphy etc).  TK a great character and personality and should be remembered as a BW legend on and off the pitch.   

The bloke he was signed to replace ended up being three-quarters of the way to being that type of player even though that's not how he was when  younger. Steve Thompson. 

Kelly and Sheridan would attempt to get stuck in even if it wasn't their forte. Claus Jensen couldn't tackle a hot dinner - great player though. 

All of the above are way ahead of our current standards. If only we could unearth a top quality player in the same mould for England - I think it'd be a massive piece in Southgate's jigsaw.

7 hours ago, paulhanley said:

The bloke he was signed to replace ended up being three-quarters of the way to being that type of player even though that's not how he was when  younger. Steve Thompson. 

Kelly and Sheridan would attempt to get stuck in even if it wasn't their forte. Claus Jensen couldn't tackle a hot dinner - great player though. 

All of the above are way ahead of our current standards. If only we could unearth a top quality player in the same mould for England - I think it'd be a massive piece in Southgate's jigsaw.

Tomo one of my all time favourites.  Very underrated, cant believe he played much of his career in the bottom 2 divisions before Leicester signed him, he should have been in 2nd tier by the time he was 22.  Yes Kelly and Sheridan won loads of tackles, Jensen just didnt have the strength, it stopped him being a top player, along with a lack of pace and no left foot (coincidentally faults that all 4 of these players had but they arent alone). 

Re England players, Madison, Grealish and Foden are top quality, but they'll probably lose out to the more defensive minded Dier and Henderson.

17 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Tomo one of my all time favourites.  Very underrated, cant believe he played much of his career in the bottom 2 divisions before Leicester signed him, he should have been in 2nd tier by the time he was 22.  Yes Kelly and Sheridan won loads of tackles, Jensen just didnt have the strength, it stopped him being a top player, along with a lack of pace and no left foot (coincidentally faults that all 4 of these players had but they arent alone). 

n.Re England players, Madison, Grealish and Foden are top quality, but they'll probably lose out to the more defensive minded Dier and Henderso

It's not about losing out but all about getting the midfield balance between attacking & holding /defensive type players. If you only play attacking midfield players, you don't protect your defence, you don't win the ball back or stop your opponents from playing & you get beaten. Ask owenbastardcoyle.

& Henderson should be a definite starter for England.

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Re England players, Madison, Grealish and Foden are top quality, but they'll probably lose out to the more defensive minded Dier and Henderson.

I’m not yet convinced by Foden, Grealish I like but he needs to sign for a top 6 club. 

4 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Most naturally talented youngster I’ve come across in 10 years as a coach

I’m not doubting it, want to see it on the pitch week in week out. Still plenty of time but I worry about his physicality and his performance today hasn’t help convince me. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Members
Just now, Mounts Kipper said:

I’m not doubting it, want to see it on the pitch week in week out. Still plenty of time but I worry about his physicality. 

He’ll go into the centre next year and will thrive. Also get the feeling he’ll be called up to the Euros

Kelly was a scapegoat for some fans in his first season under Neal, culminating in him giving some the wa*nker gesture when he scored at Huddersfield. Think it was the cup tie v Emley.

It was Rioch and his side that got the best out of Zico.

2 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

He’ll go into the centre next year and will thrive. Also get the feeling he’ll be called up to the Euros

Hmm you see more of him than me, but from what I’ve seen would worry me as an out and out centre mid, perhaps more a number 10, need to see him a bit more though as I rarely watch the prem these days. 

4 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Kelly was a scapegoat for some fans in his first season under Neal, culminating in him giving some the wa*nker gesture when he scored at Huddersfield. Think it was the cup tie v Emley.

It was Rioch and his side that got the best out of Zico.

It was Rioch who got best out of him, Kelly said he never spoke to Bruce for 20 years after he got rid of him. 

• Members
1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Hmm you see more of him than me, but from what I’ve seen would worry me as an out and out centre mid, perhaps more a number 10, need to see him a bit more though as I rarely watch the prem these days. 

He’ll drop into middle. He’s stronger and tougher than he looks, his range of passing and vision is second to none.

When i first started out I worked with a coach who trained Gerrard as a youth and he said the reason Gerrard was so good is he knew what he was going to do 3 passes before he got it, and before he got the ball he would have looked over both his shoulders at least twice and knew where his teammates will be, you can’t teach that. That’s Foden.