Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A new football calendar?

Marc505

The current situation probably gives football its best ever chance to reorganise its calendar and it's number of competitions, if it wanted to. 

I just saw Rooney suggesting that with 2022 WC being at Christmas the current season could be finished later this year then for a couple of years start the next 2 seasons in Jan/Feb and end them Oct/Nov.

I'm in two minds with this. I actually like going to and watching on telly football through winter, it feels traditional and "right". But maybe we're at a point where clubs lower down the ladder can do without winter postponements, and maybe more would come through the doors in a summer season. I can't imagine there being much appetite for leagues in places like Spain, France, Italy etc wanting to play games in high summer, though.

What are other people's thoughts on it, anyone else fancy the prospect of Blackpool away in July rather than December?

• Site Supporter

In exactly the same way as the threat that junior football was to become a summer sport, where does that leave cricket? Summer already has too much going on without football elbowing its way in as well. Imagine not being able to book a holiday until you know what the fixtures are going to be.

Keep it as it is. Summer is for cricket, winter is for football & rugby (union, of course).

Plus what would happen with the Euros & World Cups? I predict that Qatar will the first, and last tournament held during the winter months.

Just now, jeep said:

Keep it as it is. Summer is for cricket, winter is for football & rugby (union, of course).

Plus what would happen with the Euros & World Cups? I predict that Qatar will the first, and last tournament held during the winter months.

It'd probably be an MLS style thing where you break mid season for an international tournament then come back after.

I'm in the keep it as it is camp for the most part, but something radical needs to be done to deal with the loose ends of this season and beginning of next. 

51 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Imagine not being able to book a holiday until you know what the fixtures are going to be.

No different to now for those of us who have to book during the school holidays as it tends to coincide with the start of the season. Usually miss one or two home games at that point. 

27 minutes ago, Breightmet Boy said:

It will cause divorces, the missus wanting to go to a BBQ and weddings in summer, us Port Vale away.  It wont work, especially with the lads who have season tickets for Lancashire CC as well as us.  

I’d have thought clashing with rugby league would have a far bigger effect than Lancs (though I dare say quite a few play cricket or go down to their local club on a Saturday). 

4 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Depending on how long this china crisis goes on for. How about each team plays each other once, a 23 game season.

11/12 home/away. And the games could be all played on a Saturday and would probably fit in the FA cup as well but with no replays.

Yes sounds good.

We can just play 22 games though and cancel Doncaster the day before.

1 hour ago, Mr Grey said:

Depending on how long this china crisis goes on for. How about each team plays each other once, a 23 game season.

11/12 home/away. And the games could be all played on a Saturday and would probably fit in the FA cup as well but with no replays.

I like this idea as a one off, a lot of the games would have a cup match quality to them. Many clubs probably budget for  having money from 19 or 23 home games though.

1 hour ago, Mr Grey said:

Best thing I’ve heard you come out with😀

4 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

And Sky and BT will want their usual fix, greed will take over as usual.

Speaking of greed, just read about some 24 team club world cup in China in summer 2021?

The fuck is actually going on how are they meant to get this played even if there was no coronavirus.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

I think it's a decent idea.

I know there would be a reduction in revenue, but that's happening now. Perhaps a voluntary contribution on top of the normal ticket price?

At least this way this season can finish at some point and avoid the stress and antagonism that could otherwise occur. And court cases!

2 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Speaking of greed, just read about some 24 team club world cup in China in summer 2021?

The fuck is actually going on how are they meant to get this played even if there was no coronavirus.

Think the European clubs were talking about boycotting it