Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A new football calendar?

Marc505

16 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

If that's how it pans out we would be out of the embargo before the transfer window for the first season in League 2

I think if clubs get in to huge financial difficulties in these circumstances the league would have no choice but to allow them in and out of administration without points deductions or allow phoenix clubs to just take the place of the originals. None of this is anyone in football's fault. 

6 hours ago, Farrelli said:

We may not survive one year and no income.

I think the thing in our favour, and other clubs too, is that everyone realises unique measures may have to be taken.  So if every player has to take a 50% pay cut, so be it, something we couldnt get away with under normal circumstances.  What are they going to do, sign for another club currently?  And there will probably be interest free, or nearly free, loans to be had for businesses generally to keep them going.  The embargo has done us a huge favour in stopping us signing players on bigger salaries or longer term deals eg Bridcutt, Ched Evans.  There will be teams regretting some of the contracts they gave out in January.

4 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I think the thing in our favour, and other clubs too, is that everyone realises unique measures may have to be taken.  So if every player has to take a 50% pay cut, so be it, something we couldnt get away with under normal circumstances.  What are they going to do, sign for another club currently?  And there will probably be interest free, or nearly free, loans to be had for businesses generally to keep them going.  The embargo has done us a huge favour in stopping us signing players on bigger salaries or longer term deals eg Bridcutt, Ched Evans.  There will be teams regretting some of the contracts they gave out in January.

Yes I think you may be right, we don’t have many contracted after June either.  First thing to go in our favour for yonks! 

Just think if we didn't have most of our income from season tickets.  If this had happened in the 70s or 80s, every club would have budgeted for thousands of fans paying on the gate another 5 or 6 times.  Instead the clubs have the TV money (not much for us admittedly) and the season ticket money still coming in to a degree.  It would have been virtually zero income a few decades ago. 

I understand the sentiment of why people think we'd get a full house after potentially months of no game to go to, but we got what 9k on the first game back after very nearly not existing.

There'll always be an excuse. "I know there's been no football for months, that hundreds of thousands have been affected by a killer bug, that we were made to stay at home for weeks, that the world has changed. But Keith Hill is still in charge, so I'm out."

If we wait 6-12 months for league football, then have to spend 3 months finishing off that complete abortion of a season, then it ain’t going to get anyone’s juices flowing 

Fingers crossed its a fresh slate, if it is, however they do it, I think it’s a decent turnout (League 1 or 2) 

Edited by birch-chorley

Just heard that the FA have announced that clubs in tiers 9 and 10 ( eg North West Counties ) are to end the 2019/20 seasons immediately - be interesting to see what if any impact this has in turn further up the pyramid . 

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/sport/fa-tells-step-five-and-six-clubs-in-non-league-pyramid-to-end-season-immediately/

21 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

If we wait 6-12 months for league football, then have to spend 3 months finishing off that complete abortion of a season, then it ain’t going to get anyone’s juices flowing 

Fingers crossed its a fresh slate, if it is, however they do it, I think it’s a decent turnout (League 1 or 2) 

Yes it would seem a bit boring for us compared to those that have issues to resolve, but we'd probably play 2 games a week (no cup games) and get it done in about 6 weeks, which wouldn't be too bad and would feel like a pre-season for us, depending on contract situations.  

1 minute ago, Traf said:

I don't think the EFL has enough money to fight all the legal battles they'll face by voiding the season.

Possibly the best decision out of a bad selection available now then is to continue the football league to a conclusion but have no relegation from L2.

BUT how do they get the league back to 92 clubs?

15 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Possibly the best decision out of a bad selection available now then is to continue the football league to a conclusion but have no relegation from L2.

BUT how do they get the league back to 92 clubs?

Invite National League clubs to apply for the vacancy? Like the old re-election.

2 minutes ago, Traf said:

Invite National League clubs to apply for the vacancy? Like the old re-election.

Could be, what were the decisions based on back then? Would Barrow fail at an application stage because of their stadium?

Maybe a play off tournament, but then where do you draw the line?