Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Reading play off final

maje

17 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

We had so many injuries going into that game. I remember the feeling after Keith saved the penalty - I just knew we were going to win then. 

Everyone did. Our whole end changed completely. It was amazing.

6 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Yeah it was buzzing under the stands at half time - only time I've known it like that when you're 2-0 down having been completely outplayed!

And to think, some (not loads,but a few) Bolton fans fucked off home as soon as their 2nd went in,

I bet to this day they still won't admit to it though.

You know who you are!

Obviously in hindsight we wouldn't have had it any other way than being 2 down at half time in that one.  But its noticeable how bad we are in the early stages of our Wembley/Cardiff games.  2 nil down after about 20 minutes v Reading, Boro, Stoke; add the Watford one for a bad 1st half score, all against opponents no better than us.  PNE at Cardiff was our only 1st half lead in at least our last 7 such games.  

That De Freitas equaliser is definitely my favourite moment as a Bolton fan. Listen to it with the roadrunner commentary, fantastic. It was a world class goal too. Stubbs picks it up plays it through midfield to Thompson who picks out a defence splitting pass for Fabiano to run through and pick out the bottom corner with a brilliant finish. He’d been slagged off all season then did that. Pure magic. 

2 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

That De Freitas equaliser is definitely my favourite moment as a Bolton fan. Listen to it with the roadrunner commentary, fantastic. It was a world class goal too. Stubbs picks it up plays it through midfield to Thompson who picks out a defence splitting pass for Fabiano to run through and pick out the bottom corner with a brilliant finish. He’d been slagged off all season then did that. Pure magic. 

I remember thinking, at the moment that he struck it, that he should have looked up and squared it to Mixu, cos both of them were advancing on Hislop with the entire Reading defence just gawping on. So glad it found that tiny corner of the goal and ended up being a brilliant finish.

11 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Yeah it was buzzing under the stands at half time - only time I've known it like that when you're 2-0 down having been completely outplayed!

I've never forgotten the actions of the family who sat behind me - they went home at half time, with the dad saying he couldn't face watching us get battered. Always wondered what happened to them.