Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Trouble on the terraces

BoltonBoy80

44 minutes ago, Wullie said:

SAS were based down in Chile a month before the bombing raid. My Dad was special forces and was on call for the Falklands (obviously only found out about this later). They were detailed to also scout out the military airport in Buenos Aries, in case it needed to be put out of commission.

The Chilean government were "assisting" and the US were sharing any intelligence they had. Plus not to forget the support from the Canadian, Kiwi and Aussies, to name but a few

There's a historic enmity between Chile and Argentina that will never go away irrespective of the ebb and flow of diplomatic relations. That proved very useful in 82 and has done before and since. It's quite telling that to this day the only flight out of the Falklands to any location other than the UK (RAF Brize Norton) is to Punta Arenas/Santiago in Chile (although I was reading that a flight to Brazil is planned)

The yanks were very useful in many ways - we were given weaponry and our use of the airstrip at Ascension Island was quickly given their blessing. Even the French helped with intelligence on weaponry they'd sold to the Argies.

The SAS and SBS were also a very central part of the repatriation of South Georgia from the Argies, which happened a good while before the landings at San Carlos. That's an interesting story all on its own.

6 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

There's a historic enmity between Chile and Argentina that will never go away irrespective of the ebb and flow of diplomatic relations. That proved very useful in 82 and has done before and since. It's quite telling that to this day the only flight out of the Falklands to any location other than the UK (RAF Brize Norton) is to Punta Arenas/Santiago in Chile (although I was reading that a flight to Brazil is planned)

The yanks were very useful in many ways - we were given weaponry and our use of the airstrip at Ascension Island was quickly given their blessing. Even the French helped with intelligence on weaponry they'd sold to the Argies.

The SAS and SBS were also a very central part of the repatriation of South Georgia from the Argies, which happened a good while before the landings at San Carlos. That's an interesting story all on its own.

It's certainly a very interesting conflict , bizarre even . Didn't a Vulcan have to land in Brazil and the plane and Crew were held captive in a fashion.

4 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

It's certainly a very interesting conflict , bizarre even . Didn't a Vulcan have to land in Brazil and the plane and Crew were held captive in a fashion.

Yep. That was a Vulcan on one of the later missions linked to Black Buck. The plane they landed with was carrying a US Shrike missile which the Brazilians kept. Yanks not very happy about that as they'd given us the missile and we promptly effectively lost one .... along with all its secrets!

8 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Yep. That was a Vulcan on one of the later missions linked to Black Buck. The plane they landed with was carrying a US Shrike missile which the Brazilians kept. Yanks not very happy about that as they'd given us the missile and we promptly effectively lost one .... along with all its secrets!

Have you got/read a book called 'The Falklands War Then And Now'   it's a large book and pretty costly £40+ , but it is full of info and great pics from the conflict , and shows a lot of comparisons from the war till 2009 when the book was published. If you are really interested in this War , the book is a must.

6 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Have you got/read a book called 'The Falklands War Then And Now'   it's a large book and pretty costly £40+ , but it is full of info and great pics from the conflict , and shows a lot of comparisons from the war till 2009 when the book was published. If you are really interested in this War , the book is a must.

Not read that one, no. Sounds very interesting though. I'd be very interested in going to the Falklands and with me living 10 miles from RAF Brize Norton it makes it slightly more feasible than if I was living many miles from Oxfordshire. I doubt it'll ever happen, like!! 

The Falklands has made itself an economic success story so I guess there have been quite a few changes since 82. I've a couple of relatives who've been there since 82 during their service with the Royal Navy. They've a good few tales to tell.

The last visitor I spoke to was a BBC producer from hereabouts. She did a load of moaning about it being a very heavy diet out there - focused mainly on mutton. Wouldn't worry me! 

9 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Not read that one, no. Sounds very interesting though. I'd be very interested in going to the Falklands and with me living 10 miles from RAF Brize Norton it makes it slightly more feasible than if I was living many miles from Oxfordshire. I doubt it'll ever happen, like!! 

The Falklands has made itself an economic success story so I guess there have been quite a few changes since 82. I've a couple of relatives who've been there since 82 during their service with the Royal Navy. They've a good few tales to tell.

The last visitor I spoke to was a BBC producer from hereabouts. She did a load of moaning about it being a very heavy diet out there - focused mainly on mutton. Wouldn't worry me! 

If you share anything like a passing interest in the War , that book is a must , check it out on Amazon. Bizarrely my line of work involves concrete products for the building industry and we had to produce 50 Wall copings for Port Stanley Police Station , god knows what the freight cost was ,  2,000kg plus of concrete.

I would also love to go there , around my town there used to be a big company who made all the portacabins used in the falklands after the war , when the British bases were being built . A lot of locals went out there for months and had a few stories to tell. Apparently the Falkland islanders and the Army personnel took some getting used to each other.

1 minute ago, dusan nikolic said:

If you share anything like a passing interest in the War , that book is a must , check it out on Amazon. Bizarrely my line of work involves concrete products for the building industry and we had to produce 50 Wall copings for Port Stanley Police Station , god knows what the freight cost was ,  2,000kg plus of concrete.

I would also love to go there , around my town there used to be a big company who made all the portacabins used in the falklands after the war , when the British bases were being built . A lot of locals went out there for months and had a few stories to tell. Apparently the Falkland islanders and the Army personnel took some getting used to each other.

I think I'm right in saying that until the war the small posting of Marines was pretty much all there was on the Falklands. The military deployment thereafter was of a very different magnitude. What I've read about the Falklanders tells me that they probably did resent the increased military presence in terms of dailyl life but accepted it because of the security it brought. It's not an understatement to say they hate and distrust the Argentines and that colours every other feeling to the outside world.

Port Stanley Police Station... you'd imagine there's not too much need for old bill! I suppose much of their infrastructure comes directly from the UK and the transport costs must be enormous! 

2 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I think I'm right in saying that until the war the small posting of Marines was pretty much all there was on the Falklands. The military deployment thereafter was of a very different magnitude. What I've read about the Falklanders tells me that they probably did resent the increased military presence in terms of dailyl life but accepted it because of the security it brought. It's not an understatement to say they hate and distrust the Argentines and that colours every other feeling to the outside world.

Port Stanley Police Station... you'd imagine there's not too much need for old bill! I suppose much of their infrastructure comes directly from the UK and the transport costs must be enormous! 

I watched a documentary were the locals wanted the Argentine dead throwing in the sea , anywhere bar being layed to rest on the Islands , the British military had to put they're foot down to allow them to be buried on the Islands.  There are some good reconciliation video's between soldiers from both sides on YouTube.

• Members

Hate to bring this (genuinely) rivetting stuff about the Falklands conflict back to the thread title but Good Knee will enjoy this.

Was speaking to you know who yesterday C and he did say he will use me and WWays as a conduit to put you in contact next time he's coming over mate (likely next year). It was Anzac Day yesterday (a sort of second Remembrance Day down here) and he was celebrating in his own inimitable way in his man cave with a carton of Tooheys New - Foo Fighters blasting away in the background.

Mentioned we'd been chatting and he told me about a match where you, him and ML tried to get into the Embankment. Two of you had just got in and Forest fans wielding 'bloody big blades' were charging at you. He says he remembers using a joist over a turnstile and 'swinging my feet and just booting the fuckers to keep them away'. Said you'd remember that one?

Also mentioned the get together with the fairground gyppo's near The Millstone. He reckoned a certain hands in pockets headbutt will also jog your memory :D

Edited by bolty58

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Hate to bring this (genuinely) rivetting stuff about the Falklands conflict back to the thread title but Good Knee will enjoy this.

Was speaking to you know who yesterday C and he did say he will use me and WWays as a conduit to put you in contact next time he's coming over mate (likely next year). It was Anzac Day yesterday (a sort of second Remembrance Day down here) and he was celebrating in his own inimitable way in his man cave with a carton of Tooheys New - Foo Fighters blasting away in the background.

Mentioned we'd been chatting and he told me about a match where you, him and ML tried to get into the Embankment. Two of you had just got in and Forest fans wielding 'bloody big blades' were charging at you. He says he remembers using a joist over a turnstile and 'swinging my feet and just booting the fuckers to keep them away'. Said you'd remember that one?

Also mentioned the get together with the fairground gyppo's near The Millstone. He reckoned a certain hands in pockets headbutt will also jog your memory :D

Great stuff would be great to meet up after all these years we were close mates as kids but the mileage sort of comes into play, remember both those incidents it was me who spotted the forest fan with the knife and I was shouting at your kid warning him to back but would he listen?!

10 hours ago, dusan nikolic said:

I watched a documentary were the locals wanted the Argentine dead throwing in the sea , anywhere bar being layed to rest on the Islands , the British military had to put they're foot down to allow them to be buried on the Islands.  There are some good reconciliation video's between soldiers from both sides on YouTube.

They think the Argentines are vermin, there's no getting around it! And it gets passed on from generation to generation. 

I've seen one or two of those reconciliation videos. They were just doing their jobs, no personal animosities. I think Simon Weston metthe pilot who did all the damage to the Sir Galahad.

13 hours ago, paulhanley said:

South Georgia was retook 38 years ago yesterday Paul, with their absolute surrender on the island being completed 38 years ago today.

One local bloke worth checking out is Terence Peck MBE, he escaped when the Argies rounded everyone up in the Falklands prior to our troops invading. He hid for weeks, then was pivotal in guiding our chaps, providing  info of the terrain and logistics knowledge etc.

23 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

South Georgia was retook 38 years ago yesterday Paul, with their absolute surrender on the island being completed 38 years ago today.

One local bloke worth checking out is Terence Peck MBE, he escaped when the Argies rounded everyone up in the Falklands prior to our troops invading. He hid for weeks, then was pivotal in guiding our chaps, providing  info of the terrain and logistics knowledge etc.

Yes I've read about Terry Peck. Sadly he's no longer with us but from memory he was an ex copper. He got out of Stanley and went across country - he was never in the hands of the Argies. But they knew about him and came looking.  At one point he narrowly escaped the Argies when they flew in a helicopter to a remote farmstead he was holed out in up at the top of East Falkland. But he got away from that and walked west to Falkland Sound. I've seen him write about how he crested the brow of a hill to see the distant waters with Royal Navy ships everywhere and troops like ants coming ashore. Dust in the eye moment for him. 

That South Georgia operation is worth reading about all in its own right. There were a few cock ups along the way but it was a moment that let the junta know we were for real.

Edited by paulhanley

5 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Yes I've read about Terry Peck. Sadly he's no longer with us but from memory he was an ex copper. He got out of Stanley and went across country - he was never in the hands of the Argies. But they knew about him and came looking.  At one point he narrowly escaped the Argies when they flew in a helicopter to a remote farmstead he was holed out in up at the top of East Falkland. But he got away from that and walked west to Falkland Sound. I've seen him write about how he crested the brow of a hill to see the distant waters with Royal Navy ships everywhere and troops like ants coming ashore. Dust in the eye moment for him. 

That South Georgia operation is worth reading about all in its own right. There were a few cock ups along the way but it was a moment that let the junta know we were for real.

Aye, read all about the Operation Paraquet mate, our chaps called it Paraquat, after the industrial weed killer,haha.

That Falklands twitter account is a great read with great pics too. An islander contributes with his diary from the time, some fascinating stuff on it. Pics on it of Terry Peck meeting up with an Argentinian conscript and they became firm friends

1 hour ago, miamiwhite said:

Aye, read all about the Operation Paraquet mate, our chaps called it Paraquat, after the industrial weed killer,haha.

That Falklands twitter account is a great read with great pics too. An islander contributes with his diary from the time, some fascinating stuff on it. Pics on it of Terry Peck meeting up with an Argentinian conscript and they became firm friends

Was it South Georgia were 1 of the Wessex helicopters crash landed trying to take off ? , and s.a.s all ended up having to cram into the remaining 1Wessex , making it Dangerously overloaded.

Edited by dusan nikolic

1 hour ago, miamiwhite said:

This is an absolute belter for learning about South Georgia. Funny too. From a man who was there.