Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Trouble on the terraces

BoltonBoy80

• Members
14 hours ago, Take Hunt Off said:

You need to do a bit of research on the early eighties industrial decline caused by Thatcher & her government rarther than spouting bollocks.

Jobs were created when CNC & CAD came in you fuckwit .It was mass redundancies & factory closures  that Thatcher initiated .That wasnt industrial progress.

:rofl: Fuck me gently. Pot, kettle, black.

Even though we have another thread degenerating into politics, this time from Lever End boot boys and how to polish your Docs to a high shine  to make sure a scouser saw his face just before it connected with his hooter, it’s good to hear most from those that were there at the time

Maggie might be seen as a cunt. If you were there at the time, then you’ll recognise the polarisation and entrenchment of views nowadays regarding politics. She was divisive. Massively. I completely and utterly respect anyone who was a miner, an engineer, a factory worker, etc, at the time, and suffered from her policies. But take a moment to reflect on the NUM, Red Robbo, and their ilk. They were power-crazed with an unstoppable determination to increase wages for the workers (fine by me) but a complete refusal to increase standards in parallel. I give you the rust-buckets that rolled off the production lines at British Leyland. Poor design, yes, but the unions allowed workers to fit the wrong parts badly and woe betide anyone who challenged them. Straight out on strike.

My great uncle worked at Dobson & Barlow. He retired from a thriving company in the ‘60s and was heartbroken to see it destroyed from within. Not from the government but from the shop stewards and the unions

The 70’s was an appalling time politically. Weak governments, strong trade unions, and lots of empire building. Our manufacturing base was destroyed and was never able to recover

I’m no fan of Thatcher as such but she did what was needed based on the situation at the time. There are others who are far more culpable imo

2 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Even though we have another thread degenerating into politics, this time from Lever End boot boys and how to polish your Docs to a high shine  to make sure a scouser saw his face just before it connected with his hooter, it’s good to hear most from those that were there at the time

Maggie might be seen as a cunt. If you were there at the time, then you’ll recognise the polarisation and entrenchment of views nowadays regarding politics. She was divisive. Massively. I completely and utterly respect anyone who was a miner, an engineer, a factory worker, etc, at the time, and suffered from her policies. But take a moment to reflect on the NUM, Red Robbo, and their ilk. They were power-crazed with an unstoppable determination to increase wages for the workers (fine by me) but a complete refusal to increase standards in parallel. I give you the rust-buckets that rolled off the production lines at British Leyland. Poor design, yes, but the unions allowed workers to fit the wrong parts badly and woe betide anyone who challenged them. Straight out on strike.

My great uncle worked at Dobson & Barlow. He retired from a thriving company in the ‘60s and was heartbroken to see it destroyed from within. Not from the government but from the shop stewards and the unions

The 70’s was an appalling time politically. Weak governments, strong trade unions, and lots of empire building. Our manufacturing base was destroyed and was never able to recover

I’m no fan of Thatcher as such but she did what was needed based on the situation at the time. There are others who are far more culpable imo

As an engineer who worked through that period at a variety of large companies I have to say I don’t recognise your observations .It was always a two way street dealing with management & the union.Never been on strike usually got a grumpy compromise that’s how it was .

Red Robbo & all that was very localised in Birmingham .There was an unsavoury battle between the unions themselves , see who could get the better deal .Very disruptive admittedly but not terminal by any means .BL at Leyland only ever had one strike in its history ,l know because it was about job security not pay & my old fella was out for quite a while , futile maybe but it was about jobs.

As for rust buckets well can’t argue with that although Ford weren’t much better.Where you are incorrect is that the union somehow conspired to fit the wrong parts , that was the truly awful management which bears no resemblance at all to modern management technique.When the seventies narrative is trotted out about the big bad unions what is rarely mentioned is the inept & totally clueless management who could cause a fight in an empty room

Germany had unions France had the most militant of the lot by a country mile but they still have manufacturing including indigenous car production .....They had the will to keep it whatever .Thatcher didn’t want it & sold us down the river for financial services .Europe played a big part in this .They were more than happy for us to give it up .Couple of sweeteners included Foreign owned assembly plants (Nissan & Toyota)

• Members
11 hours ago, Offshore said:

Did Thatcher ever go to an away game in Max's van or on a coach from the Albion? Did she fuck!!! So why is the bitch being discussed at length on this thread? 

Because of me old bean. The Falklands were mentioned in this thread and I mentioned that, purely by coincidence I'd seen some Falklands war footage on a Thatcher documentary that very night.

Got the commies a little bit roused. Fuck em. Better dead than red.

Edited by bolty58

Guest Nordkurve
On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 21:56, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Didn't (still do) Germany have far easier access to coal making it cheaper to extract?

Did we go down the route of North sea oil?

I also understand MT was one of the first leaders to talk about environmental effects of fossil fuels.

I agree that we have not got enough manufacturing in this country, though globalisation generally doesn't help.

Must come back to an extent surely. Pity Horwich loco works couldn't be converted to make wind turbine blades etc! :)

Germany has shit loads of open cast mining still going strong. The other point that people forget is how hard it was back then to export. We didn't have the Euro-tunnel and nowhere near as many Cargo aircraft zipping around the globe. Germany is well placed in Europe with that respect. The Rail links from the Ruhrpott area (Steel/coal etc) spread in all directions. Same for the Auto industry. All still transported around Europe by Rail. Back in the 80s/90s a Train full of BMWs from Dingolfing or Audis from Ingolstadt could be half way across Europe before Cars built in the Uk have even got on a Ship.

Guest Nordkurve

It's a thread about Trouble at the games, not football. I don't know how it ended up here, but if it makes you happy I knocked a Rozzers Helmet off in the Burnden Paddock about thirty years ago when we played Stoke. He was being a cunt so he deserved it.

53 minutes ago, Nordkurve said:

It's a thread about Trouble at the games, not football. I don't know how it ended up here, but if it makes you happy I knocked a Rozzers Helmet off in the Burnden Paddock about thirty years ago when we played Stoke. He was being a cunt so he deserved it.

Good lad. Think I remember that game. Got a bit tasty iirc.

14 minutes ago, gonzo said:

It’s in the stoke city book. Big D taking centre stage in his long leather trench coat

I was a young lad in the front room of the Cattle Market and just remember seeing a barstool keep flying from one end of the pub to the other.

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Nordkurve said:

When was the Stoke home game where our win (I think Julian Darby scored to win 1-0) leapfrogged us over Port Vale and into the automatic promotion slot alongside Stoke. That game got a bit pally walking up Manny Road because Stoke wanted to lose so PV would stay down?

10 minutes ago, MickyD said:

When was the Stoke home game where our win (I think Julian Darby scored to win 1-0) leapfrogged us over Port Vale and into the automatic promotion slot alongside Stoke. That game got a bit pally walking up Manny Road because Stoke wanted to lose so PV would stay down?

@gonzo hates it when it gets all pally 

• Site Supporter
50 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

@gonzo hates it when it gets all pally 

What other games do we remember being pally? A few at the beginning of last season when every club was glad to see the massive numbers of fans supporting a team of teenagers who were going to give them a +5GD.

Any more real pals ones?

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, MickyD said:

What other games do we remember being pally? A few at the beginning of last season when every club was glad to see the massive numbers of fans supporting a team of teenagers who were going to give them a +5GD.

Any more real pals ones?

Pompey to a certain extent. 

2 hours ago, MickyD said:

Will always remember it as I took my Dad to it. It was his last ever game. Sat in the Manny Road stand as close to the seat as possible that he sat in all the way through the 50’s when he had a ST in there. He was in the Burnden Paddock that day Bratfut ripped the seats out of the Burnden Stand and threw them down near to where he stood on the paddock and he vowed to never go to a game again. So glad I got to go to that Stoke game. Lot of Stokies in the Manny Road stand shaking our hands at the end of the game. Weird. I hated the fuckers with a passion

15 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Will always remember it as I took my Dad to it. It was his last ever game. Sat in the Manny Road stand as close to the seat as possible that he sat in all the way through the 50’s when he had a ST in there. He was in the Burnden Paddock that day Bratfut ripped the seats out of the Burnden Stand and threw them down near to where he stood on the paddock and he vowed to never go to a game again. So glad I got to go to that Stoke game. Lot of Stokies in the Manny Road stand shaking our hands at the end of the game. Weird. I hated the fuckers with a passion

I got lobbed out of that game at half time Couldn’t hold my ale at an early age! 

Last game of season at Chelsea , when we got relegated  under Colin Todd they were quite friendly unlike our previous visits when they were after our blood.Only because they hated Everton our relegation rivals that year with a passion.

Scummy fckrs though (both of them)