Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Trouble on the terraces

BoltonBoy80

Not been on the site for a while. I was a Heywood boy attended from mid 70's, with my grandad from Radcliffe, and some Radcliffe / Little Lever family,  but got serious back in late 70's early 80's going home and away, Embankment, MRN; before moving around the world with my new job. Used to attend with Rochdale whites, meet in the White Lion and travel by mini van with a jovial west country driver. F* me, I could tell you some tales........All for another day though.........

6 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

The jovial West Country driver wasn't from Brieghtmet and known as Wurzel was he?

If so I've been in a van to Cambridge with that lot, top day out.

Could well have been, but I couldn't possibly comment............

• Members

One of missus' best mates was from Calne and married a Bolton lad who lived across the street from Leverhulme Park athletics stadium.

Stayed down there a couple of times and had some cracking sessions with the Bolton lad and his wifes brother.

Only one drawback with the brother - a DMB. Refused to drink tea at his place as all he had was DMB mugs. Has a nice ring to it that. "DMB mugs".

Enjoyed some of the pubs around Marlborough and Wootton Bassett. Big horse racing area so met some right characters around there.

Once went in the van to Barnsley away. Over the tops and down towards the dark side, we stopped at a country pub. A warm welcome awaited, but one of our lot, a lad whose name began wiith C from Horwich, grabbed a 'hot' potato from the fire. Sadly for him it was one of those new fangled 'looks almost like coal' bits of coal from the gas fire. Stuck to his hand like shit to yer shoe. I often wonder how he's doing all these years later..................

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/04/2020 at 14:20, dusan nikolic said:

Battle for the Falklands by Max Hastkngs is a good unbiased view.

Arrived today - looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the recommendation 👍

• 1 month later...
On 13/05/2020 at 16:05, dusan nikolic said:

Nice one , look forward to hearing your review.

Finished it last night. I really enjoyed it. Was good that it told the story of how it got to the stage that the Argies invaded the Falklands. 

War certainly wasn't glorified. 

Our press were as useless then as they are now....

Thanks for the recommendation. I've purchased Hastings's Vietnam book on the back of this one 👍

4 hours ago, jeep said:

Finished it last night. I really enjoyed it. Was good that it told the story of how it got to the stage that the Argies invaded the Falklands. 

Thanks for the recommendation. I've purchased Hastings's Vietnam book on the back of this one 👍

Thanks for taking the time to reply glad you enjoyed it , Hastings is certainly well researched in all of his books that I have read.

Let me know about the Vietnam book , I will give it a go if it's any good.

Edited by dusan nikolic

4 hours ago, dusan nikolic said:

Thanks for taking the time to reply glad you enjoyed it , Hastings is certainly well researched in all of his books that I have read.

Let me know about the Vietnam book , I will give it a go if it's any good.

Will do, but will probably be a while before I start it. The reviews for it are excellant.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

Whilst I thought the Hastings book was good and well worth reading.It was so packed with detail it was hard work to keep going. Very intense.

I know what you mean. I was close to start documenting who was who. To be fair he was easier to read than Antony Beevor, who is also a highly recommended war historian. His Stalingrad book had me tied in knots!!

• Members
17 hours ago, jeep said:

Coincidental. Been watching the Thatcher Documentary on BBC2 this week. What a woman.

Episode 3 "Enemies'. South Georgia and Falklands footage.

Edited by bolty58

3 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Coincidental. Been watching the Thatcher Documentary on BBC2 this week. What a woman.

Episode 3 "Enemies'. South Georgia and Falklands footage.

Coincidental. Been listening to her autobiography on audiobook. I'm still not on the same page as her with quite a lot. But then I wasn't around at the same time. What is clear is that she had cast iron principles and stuck to them. And that she did what she did because she genuinely believed it was in the best interests of everyone in the country on balance. I find it very difficult to take issue with someone when that's the case. Even when I disagree.

Also very interesting to hear her take on the lead up to the 'rejoice' statement on the sinking of the Belgrano. Put a whole different perspective on it for me. 

1 hour ago, kent_white said:

Coincidental. Been listening to her autobiography on audiobook. I'm still not on the same page as her with quite a lot. But then I wasn't around at the same time. What is clear is that she had cast iron principles and stuck to them. And that she did what she did because she genuinely believed it was in the best interests of everyone in the country on balance. I find it very difficult to take issue with someone when that's the case. Even when I disagree.

Also very interesting to hear her take on the lead up to the 'rejoice' statement on the sinking of the Belgrano. Put a whole different perspective on it for me. 

I hated Thatchers ideas and especially the way she divided society and destroyed the mining industry out of a political grudge. 

But as a leader of principle and belief hard to fault as you say. Ohh for her sort today and I never thought I would say that. 

Thatcher.

Up there with Churchill for me.

The Tory conference went on the day after the bombing.

Stood up to Scargill and won.

Won the Falklands.

One amazingly strong woman leader.

They don’t make them like her these days with all these lefty snowflakes everywhere.