Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Corona Football Season

HomerJay

Corona Football Season  

196 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, ErnestTurnip said:

If we don't fancy using computers to simulate the rest of the season imagine how good it would be for Liverpool to only have won the title because the Pools Panel sat.

They gave it to you

They gave it to you

The Pools panel; they gave it to you

13 hours ago, Ratwhite said:

No way on earth this season will be finished. We'll be lucky see a game this side of Christmas 

Correct.  Its tiresome to listen to all these theories of when they can start playing again, no chance in the short/medium term.  And once we get to Nov/Dec, 'flu/virus season is back again. Who's going to risk giving the green light to mass sporting gatherings at the worst time of year to do it?  I'm realistically looking at March, and either way its not happening till a vaccine is widely available. 

No chance this season will finish at league 1 level, the question is will League placing  be agreed on a PPG basis or season voided? For obvious reasons hope season is voided, league 2 must be avoided at all cost, If we stay up fully expect us to be top 6 next season. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

No chance this season will finish at league 1 level, the question is will League placing  be agreed on a PPG basis or season voided? For obvious reasons hope season is voided, league 2 must be avoided at all cost, If we stay up fully expect us to be top 6 next season. 

We will still be in embargo. 

The Points Per Game scenario doesn't work for me. There are a few eamples of this:

Oldham 1992/93

Run in: P10 W5 D3 L2 Pts 18

Position with 10 games left: 22nd (bottom, and three points from safety)

Final position: 19th - stayed up on goal difference (+2 better than Crystal Palace, who lost 3-0 at Arsenal)

Bradford 1999/00

Run in: P10 W3 D1 L6 Pts 10

Position with 10 games left: 18th, two points from safety

Final position: 17th - they stayed up by three points

West Brom 2004/05

Run in: P10 W3 D2 L3 Pts 11

Position with 10 games left: 19th, five points from safety

Final position: 17th - they stayed up by one point

Fulham 2007/08

Run in: P10 W5 D2 L3 Pts 17

Position with 10 games left: 19th - six points from safety

Final position: 17th - stayed up by +3 goal difference over Reading

Wigan 2011/12

Run in: P10 W7 D1 L2 Pts 22

Position with 10 games left: 20th - one point from safety

Final position: 15th- stayed up by seven points

THere are a few more examples, but history has shown teams with poor form can go on an outstanding run and survive

24 minutes ago, Wullie said:

The Points Per Game scenario doesn't work for me. There are a few eamples of this:

Oldham 1992/93

Run in: P10 W5 D3 L2 Pts 18

Position with 10 games left: 22nd (bottom, and three points from safety)

Final position: 19th - stayed up on goal difference (+2 better than Crystal Palace, who lost 3-0 at Arsenal)

Bradford 1999/00

Run in: P10 W3 D1 L6 Pts 10

Position with 10 games left: 18th, two points from safety

Final position: 17th - they stayed up by three points

West Brom 2004/05

Run in: P10 W3 D2 L3 Pts 11

Position with 10 games left: 19th, five points from safety

Final position: 17th - they stayed up by one point

Fulham 2007/08

Run in: P10 W5 D2 L3 Pts 17

Position with 10 games left: 19th - six points from safety

Final position: 17th - stayed up by +3 goal difference over Reading

Wigan 2011/12

Run in: P10 W7 D1 L2 Pts 22

Position with 10 games left: 20th - one point from safety

Final position: 15th- stayed up by seven points

THere are a few more examples, but history has shown teams with poor form can go on an outstanding run and survive

That’s why I’d think it’s possible season is just scrapped, can’t see all clubs agreeing a PPG end to the season. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

11 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Whatever outcome it won’t be fair on some clubs 

they just need to make a fucking decision

regarding the top league if reports that bundesliga are about to do behind closed doors from May our lot will wait to see how that works first 

League 1 and 2 can’t afford to play games or extend contracts. In my opinion our season won’t end, can only be null and void or PPG. 

2 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

League 1 and 2 can’t afford to play games or extend contracts. In my opinion our season won’t end, can only be null and void or PPG. 

I think it will just be "null and void"  -  I also fully expect that we won't escape out punishment, and will have to start any new season with our 12 point deduction still in place.

Mounts is right though, clubs at our level and below, certainly can't afford to be playing games behind closed doors and/or extending contracts. 

6 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I think it will just be "null and void"  -  I also fully expect that we won't escape out punishment, and will have to start any new season with our 12 point deduction still in place.

Mounts is right though, clubs at our level and below, certainly can't afford to be playing games behind closed doors and/or extending contracts. 

Surely not regarding the points 

only 10 games left 

we’ve served our time so to speak 

4 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Surely not regarding the points 

only 10 games left 

we’ve served our time so to speak 

I'm going off the fact that if the season is "null and void" then in effect it didn't happen - so we'd have to start off with our points deduction. I can't see a way of how we can escape it, I'd be delighted if we do "get away with it" but i suspect that every other club in the division will have something to say about it, so it would probably become a legal issue

32 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I can’t see how they could enforce it as the 12 points were actioned for 2019-20. Unless they specifically say that it’s being re run as that.

13 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I'm going off the fact that if the season is "null and void" then in effect it didn't happen - so we'd have to start off with our points deduction. I can't see a way of how we can escape it, I'd be delighted if we do "get away with it" but i suspect that every other club in the division will have something to say about it, so it would probably become a legal issue

That's how I see it, cant see how we'd be able to put together a successful legal argument to say we've served our -12 punishment if the season we'd been in the process of serving it in is voided.

The embargo timeline etc might be a different and more winnable argument. We could put forward the unprecedented circumstances thing in our favour maybe.

Watch us get an "unprecedented circumstances" ruling that the season is voided so everything stays the same as it was apart from Bolton who no longer have to serve -12... but they are relegated instead.

1 minute ago, Marc505 said:

That's how I see it, cant see how we'd be able to put together a successful legal argument to say we've served our -12 punishment if the season we'd been in the process of serving it in is voided.

The embargo timeline etc might be a different and more winnable argument. We could put forward the unprecedented circumstances thing in our favour maybe.

Watch us get an "unprecedented circumstances" ruling that the season is voided so everything stays the same as it was apart from Bolton who no longer have to serve -12... but they are relegated instead.

Surely FV argument would be the business model was one season of shit not two

5 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Surely FV argument would be the business model was one season of shit not two

Could be, maybe that would help with the embargo or something but I feel like the points would be harder to "sell" to EFL and other clubs especially if they're all still of the opinion that we took the piss in the past and deserve some kind of punishment to reflect that.

I hope not, I hope they turn round and say its all voided and everyone starts again afresh on 0, possibly with another year of having a team missing in L1 instead of Bury rather than shuffling every division to move a team up

Edited by Marc505

1 minute ago, Marc505 said:

Could be, maybe that would help with the embargo or something but I feel like the points would be harder to "sell" to EFL and other clubs especially if they're all still of the opinion that we took the piss in the past. 

I hope not, I hope they turn round and say its all voided and everyone starts again afresh on 0, possibly with another year of having a team missing in L1 instead of Bury rather than shuffling every division to move a team up

It’s a complete head fuck 

and the hierarchy need to make some big decisions and soon 

only thing I’d say if we had to start again on -12 is I’d fancy our chances of staying up if chino sorts his ways out 

3 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

It’s a complete head fuck 

and the hierarchy need to make some big decisions and soon 

only thing I’d say if we had to start again on -12 is I’d fancy our chances of staying up if chino sorts his ways out 

It really is and our situation is possibly the most unique of the lot in the EFL apart from Bury, yet I've barely heard us get mentioned. 

The argument could be we have play most of the season with - 12 points so it has already had an impact.

Player recruitment.

Reduced gates as season a dead rubber.

Commercial hits left right and centre.

So yes be great if we didn't get relegated, and we would have dodges a bullet. However, the 12 point deduction has had an impact on our club regardless so would be unfair to add a further year on.

Doubt other clubs would see it like that, but fuck em!!

1 minute ago, JimmyRiddle said:

The argument could be we have play most of the season with - 12 points so it has already had an impact.

Player recruitment.

Reduced gates as season a dead rubber.

Commercial hits left right and centre.

So yes be great if we didn't get relegated, and we would have dodges a bullet. However, the 12 point deduction has had an impact on our club regardless so would be unfair to add a further year on.

Doubt other clubs would see it like that, but fuck em!!

That’s my point about FV model 

imagine start again on -12

i doubt season ticket sales would be the same people will simply pick & choose