Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Corona Football Season

HomerJay

Corona Football Season  

196 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Could you do your job with a certain level of PPE being worn?

Would it give you full confidence?

Not just football, but anyone with the virus undertaking vigorous exercise pumps out lots more of it than when at rest. That would increase risk from inhaling it by other participants.

I just can't see how it's feasible at the moment, unless they took everyone away to somewhere like st George's, and isolate/quarantine them for a couple of weeks to ensure they're virus free before starting.

But that's not feasible either.  As pointed out by others, the results arent fair because home advantage is lost, what happens when a player catches it, what happens regarding hotel staff's safety, what happens if certain players refuse to play (and most games will be meaningless anyway so who can blame them).  It just beggars belief that these discussions are being had prior to positive news on the vaccine or cure front. 

1 hour ago, passmosster said:

How does a football match get round the group of 10 rule?

It's a non-starter.

Easy, make it zonal like netball, so certain players are only allowed in certain zones

14 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Easy, make it zonal like netball, so certain players are only allowed in certain zones

Is that not what we’ve been doing all season anyway? We defend 10 m away from the nearest attacking player, back off to maintain that distance at all times and with zero contact allowed ?

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

But that's not feasible either.  As pointed out by others, the results arent fair because home advantage is lost, what happens when a player catches it, what happens regarding hotel staff's safety, what happens if certain players refuse to play (and most games will be meaningless anyway so who can blame them).  It just beggars belief that these discussions are being had prior to positive news on the vaccine or cure front. 

It is feasible, if proper quarantine is followed. Only uninfected players allowed.

It undoubtedly would be very difficult logistically and expensive and wouldn't be an attractive watch.

Certainly not for me.

They do seem keen on doing something though, so who knows.

57 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It is feasible, if proper quarantine is followed. Only uninfected players allowed.

It undoubtedly would be very difficult logistically and expensive and wouldn't be an attractive watch.

Certainly not for me.

They do seem keen on doing something though, so who knows.

It's not just about quarantine, what about all the resources they will be taking away from public services, all the testing that's required, all the PPE that will be taken away from the NHS? I don't think these people have thought this through, and even grimmer is the thought that even if one player caught this virus and died, where would that leave the EFL or EPL, not worth the mither to be honest.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, DomRepWanderer said:

It's not just about quarantine, what about all the resources they will be taking away from public services, all the testing that's required, all the PPE that will be taken away from the NHS? I don't think these people have thought this through, and even grimmer is the thought that even if one player caught this virus and died, where would that leave the EFL or EPL, not worth the mither to be honest.

No doubt, but if they want to spend the money, someone will sell them the products.

Earlier in this thread, it's been stated tests are available to buy privately.

We've also got companies saying they've had no response from the government, and might look to sell PPE to America- if the premier league come calling, it's a no brainer for them.

I hope they don't bother as I think it's distasteful and unnecessary.

But money talks I suppose.

Times reporting that Sky & BT Sport won’t accept no relegation from the PL, as it would mean that pretty much all the remaining PL fixtures are rendered meaningless, certainly not worth them paying £750m for 

That means that they need the EFL on board, or at least the Championship but hard to see how those clubs make ends meat without gate receipts 

Bottom 6 aren't happy with neutral venues as it distorts the league, each team hasn’t played everyone at home etc 

Along with the issues over people getting ill, contracts expiring, some players not wanting to play 

Its a mess, just can’t see anyway through it in the short / medium term 

12 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

It’s ridiculous tbh that it’s not already been canned and season just ended now. 

Showing the massive greed that exists within the game at the highest level . It’s rotten to the core. 

I’m not sure it’s necessarily greed, each party is trying to protect their best interests as anyone else would, it’s just the stakes are much higher. 

1 minute ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I’m not sure it’s necessarily greed, each party is trying to protect their best interests as anyone else would, it’s just the stakes are much higher. 

I see it as greed mate. Times like this the only thing that matters is people’s safety. The only reason they are even thinking about starting it up again is because of the money. That’s it. Apart from Liverpool Who want to complete to win the league there will be nothing in it for any of the other clubs In the Prem but money. 

the decision should be taken out of their hands now I believe. Put an end to this now. They’ve had long enough to draw a line under it. Same in Scotland as well

just ridiculous the ideas that are coming out of the premier league . wearing masks etc  taking players and staff away from their families for weeks on end to get a game of football on  it’s madness 

problem is the governing bodies don’t really hold the power anymore. They are scared shitless of legal challenges left right and centre.

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

They are talking about putting players and staff plus all their families at risk for money. It is almost the definition of greed. 

Although there is an element of self interest too. So we have greed and self interest. The fact the people doing this talk about integrity is probably the icing on the cake. 

6 hours ago, Ani said:

They are talking about putting players and staff plus all their families at risk for money. It is almost the definition of greed. 

Although there is an element of self interest too. So we have greed and self interest. The fact the people doing this talk about integrity is probably the icing on the cake. 

Large parts of the economy are going to have to put people at risk. We can’t furlough until a vaccine is available 

What about primary schools, you can’t social distance 200 4-11 year olds effectively, do you ‘put them at risk’ or leave them off school for potentially 2 years? 

My understanding was that this lockdown was allowing the NHS to ramp up capacity (beds, ventilators etc) while getting past the peak, now it’s about what are the acceptable risks that can keep R below 1. Mass that gatherings, pubs and restaurants won’t be here for a while but 200 people in a stadium with 22 on the field should offer no more risk than a school or nursery being open IMO. It should be down to personal choice for everyone and I assume a large proportion of footballers will be happy to take the risk in order to get paid 

Problem is, it’s not workable down the pyramid so what do you do about promotion or relegation 

If most of the teams in the PL stood up for themselves and quit the league to form a break away that restarted when conditions were better then their results could be expunged and if Watford did the decent thing and stayed put with Liverpool then they could be crowned champions on goal difference/goals scored or however they do it.

Season finished, Watford crowned champions, job done.

For the last 6 weeks I have thought the is not a chance in hell of football again this year. 

I can now see the premier league flying out to somewhere like New Zealand going into quarantine for two weeks. Then all players tested each day and the premier league completed.

Now where does that leave every other team??

The rest ie championship and below will have to scrap the season as they cannot afford to follow and next season all teams will start in the league they started this season.

51 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

For the last 6 weeks I have thought the is not a chance in hell of football again this year. 

I can now see the premier league flying out to somewhere like New Zealand going into quarantine for two weeks. Then all players tested each day and the premier league completed.

Now where does that leave every other team??

The rest ie championship and below will have to scrap the season as they cannot afford to follow and next season all teams will start in the league they started this season.

Its crazy isn't it, I think I remember actually disagreeing with you a couple of weeks ago in that I thought (and kind of wanted) it to finish behind closed doors and you said no chance, but now you can actually picture the daftest solution of all happening with them moving the whole operation to Australia or New Zealand to finish it off.

Absolutely not getting at you in any way, it just shows how bizarre and how desperate PL appears to have got. I've actually changed my mind and want it all canned and find the solution off the pitch however possible because its getting more and more distasteful by the day.

PL had become hard to like before this, even more so now. I can imagine in a couple of years time if this does happen that we'll have moved the Charity Shield there as a thank you, followed by a clamour for a league game there.

2 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

Large parts of the economy are going to have to put people at risk. We can’t furlough until a vaccine is available 

What about primary schools, you can’t social distance 200 4-11 year olds effectively, do you ‘put them at risk’ or leave them off school for potentially 2 years? 

My understanding was that this lockdown was allowing the NHS to ramp up capacity (beds, ventilators etc) while getting past the peak, now it’s about what are the acceptable risks that can keep R below 1. Mass that gatherings, pubs and restaurants won’t be here for a while but 200 people in a stadium with 22 on the field should offer no more risk than a school or nursery being open IMO. It should be down to personal choice for everyone and I assume a large proportion of footballers will be happy to take the risk in order to get paid 

Problem is, it’s not workable down the pyramid so what do you do about promotion or relegation 

So explain how you go about playing professional football without a massive increase in risk ? Just listen to the options. Play the games in Oz ? Players in face masks ? Football is a contact sport unlike schools and other industries. 

Do you really think that a game of football presents the same risk as a school re opening ? If yes why is not workable further down the pyramid ? 

I am not arguing for schools to reopen anyway. Why is it so important for the EPL to re start so soon ? The only honest answer is money. 

We already know there will be rules going forward about keeping a safe distance from each other and some people are struggling with rules now. If you allow football to restart totally ignoring the rules we want people to obey it is a terrible example. 

Edited by Ani

10 hours ago, Escobarp said:

I see it as greed mate. Times like this the only thing that matters is people’s safety. The only reason they are even thinking about starting it up again is because of the money. That’s it. Apart from Liverpool Who want to complete to win the league there will be nothing in it for any of the other clubs In the Prem but money. 

the decision should be taken out of their hands now I believe. Put an end to this now. They’ve had long enough to draw a line under it. Same in Scotland as well

just ridiculous the ideas that are coming out of the premier league . wearing masks etc  taking players and staff away from their families for weeks on end to get a game of football on  it’s madness 

problem is the governing bodies don’t really hold the power anymore. They are scared shitless of legal challenges left right and centre.

9 hours ago, Ani said:

Of course the issue is dominated by money, but isn’t that the case everything when it comes down to it? I don’t even see it as any party actually trying to get more money as such either. Sky want something back for the money they’ve paid this season alone, never mind over the years, while the Premier League need to try and keep Sky happy on behalf of their clubs or there will be clubs going bump all over the shop, more so in the Premier League than lower down where the sums aren’t anywhere near as astronomic. 

I’m not saying I agree with it as the whole shipping off to Oz idea is a farce, albeit one that was guessed on here weeks ago, but likewise they aren’t any different to any other businesses that are trying to find a way of resuming business. 

15 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Of course the issue is dominated by money, but isn’t that the case everything when it comes down to it? I don’t even see it as any party actually trying to get more money as such either. Sky want something back for the money they’ve paid this season alone, never mind over the years, while the Premier League need to try and keep Sky happy on behalf of their clubs or there will be clubs going bump all over the shop, more so in the Premier League than lower down where the sums aren’t anywhere near as astronomic. 

I’m not saying I agree with it as the whole shipping off to Oz idea is a farce, albeit one that was guessed on here weeks ago, but likewise they aren’t any different to any other businesses that are trying to find a way of resuming business. 

But surely the fact that they are looking at Players having to play in unnatural circumstances (masks etc) and the fact they will be knowingly taking resources from the nhs to facilitate this return to business makes them completely different to other businesses. I know of not one other business that is going to resume, or is going out of its way to resume imminently, that will require a permanent attendance from the nhs/ambulance service? Does this in itself not just render this whole exercise unpalatable?

once the nhs confirm they are back to normal levels and can cope is that not when discussions about restarting should take place and not now?