Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Corona Football Season

HomerJay

Corona Football Season  

196 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The only teams with anything to gain from playing on are...

Wycombe, Oxford, Pompey, Fleetwood, Peterborough, Sunderland, Donny Rovers, Ipswich, Tranmere and possibly Gillingham at a push.

That's 10. And four of those would at least be open to the idea of sacking it off and taking the playoff spot.

It's over.

52 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

It simply needs a 51/49 majority in favour of an outcome and  Then it’s done. Is my understanding. 

The language used suggests to me they're setting out their preference but have no power to enforce it - "In the event a divisional decision is made to curtail the 2019/20 season, the EFL board is recommending the League adopts the original framework with the amendments as identified...", "The Board considers that the majority required to curtail the 2019/20 season should be 51%."

I suppose that's the reason we're in the position we're in. It needs someone to grab the bull by the horns and make a decision, but no one has the authority to do it. Hopefully common sense prevails.

Wasn't the Peterborough owner moaning about their game with us being on back in March?

Had they played it, their PPG would be higher than the others around them. Now it looks like they'll miss out. Ain't that sweet glorious karma

5 minutes ago, jmjhb said:

Wasn't the Peterborough owner moaning about their game with us being on back in March?

Had they played it, their PPG would be higher than the others around them. Now it looks like they'll miss out. Ain't that sweet glorious karma

If it was us I’d be fucking fuming, he’s a bolshy fucker anyhow, if he’s wealthy enough I’d expect this going to court. 

13 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

The language used suggests to me they're setting out their preference but have no power to enforce it - "In the event a divisional decision is made to curtail the 2019/20 season, the EFL board is recommending the League adopts the original framework with the amendments as identified...", "The Board considers that the majority required to curtail the 2019/20 season should be 51%."

I suppose that's the reason we're in the position we're in. It needs someone to grab the bull by the horns and make a decision, but no one has the authority to do it. Hopefully common sense prevails.

You see I read that differently and think that is pretty clear that it’s 51/49 and the framework that’s been outlined will be adhered to in the event of a majority being gained for an option. 

Don’t forget every club plays in the league which the EFL league own by definition. Each club is a shareholder in the league. It’s no different than an extraordinary general meeting being called at a company. I’m waiting or the outcome of one such meeting currently for work reasons. And it’s similar with the shareholders all in dispute but it can’t go on so it’s going to a vote on the various options this afternoon. 

Have to say I disagree completely.

Wanting the game called off in March is perfectly reasonable.

However, then wanting to carry on playing when the number of cases and deaths are far worse than they were in mid-March and then throwing your toys out the pram and threatening legal action because the statistics go against you? Jog on Darragh

That fucker's always threatening court, he wanted to take the EFL to court because he had to play a Wanderers team that weren't kids

Edited by jmjhb

7 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

You see I read that differently and think that is pretty clear that it’s 51/49 and the framework that’s been outlined will be adhered to in the event of a majority being gained for an option. 

Don’t forget every club plays in the league which the EFL league own by definition. Each club is a shareholder in the league. It’s no different than an extraordinary general meeting being called at a company. I’m waiting or the outcome of one such meeting currently for work reasons. And it’s similar with the shareholders all in dispute but it can’t go on so it’s going to a vote on the various options this afternoon. 

That would all be fair enough, but I just think that if the EFL had the power to enforce what they wish to happen the language would've been stronger i.e. "will" rather than "recommend" and "should".

Just now, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

That would all be fair enough, but I just think that if the EFL had the power to enforce what they wish to happen the language would've been stronger i.e. "will" rather than "recommend" and "should".

Are they not just being clever? If it gets through they can demonstrate that they didn’t railroad anybody and it was a fair and balanced process. 

bit like when big companies “consult with the unions” before doing exactly as they intended in the first place 😂😂

5 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Are they not just being clever? If it gets through they can demonstrate that they didn’t railroad anybody and it was a fair and balanced process. 

bit like when big companies “consult with the unions” before doing exactly as they intended in the first place 😂😂

Quite possibly.

Anyway, I'm quite enjoying the fact that we've sat back and watch as the rest of the league fight each other. Especially after all the moralising that went on earlier in the season.

1 minute ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Quite possibly.

Anyway, I'm quite enjoying the fact that we've sat back and watch as the rest of the league fight each other. Especially after all the moralising that went on earlier in the season.

Yep it’s just a crying shame Doncaster aren’t being fucked royally by this. That would have been the icing on the cake for me 

39 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

But once the vote has gone for curtailment then any decision to abandon relegation would also go to a vote? Why would anyone but the bottom three go for it?

Or we say there's a four-way playoff for relegation (like when we went down in 87), winner stays up. But that ain't happening. 

The 12 point deduction was set for a 46 match season, which has since been reduced to 44. If is applies in full (and it does) after 34 games then we are over-penalised.

However since we would be relegated anyway it is a moot point.

Playing a kids XI in remaining games would escape relegation only if 3 more clubs go to the wall before the play-offs are completed.

• Moderators

As i understand it there are two options on the table

Both of which relegate us

Fine, crack on

But Wycombe going from 8th to 3rd on PPG will piss off 7th downwards

10 hours ago, passmosster said:

What happens if 3 clubs go belly up before the new season starts?

Entirely possible

The season ends when the play-off final is held (unless it is abandoned earlier). Clubs which have ceased to exist are demoted first. If they simply go into administration they will face a 12 point penalty next season.

9 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

What do folk think about an unweighted ppg?

At first it seemed fair, but is there an argument that it should be tweaked to account for who you've played/got to play.

Or does that introduce another level of complexity, that clubs will argue over.

Whichever one sends Tranmere down is fairest.