Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Corona Football Season

HomerJay

Corona Football Season  

196 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 hours ago, Moon boy said:

Don’t think there is any way we can complete this season, so IMO the current positions should stand, forget it move on.

Sadly, can’t see next season starting either,

To get to a point where a crowd could watch safely could be well into next year, no club at our level could afford to sign and pay any players without knowing when games would begin, so include a ‘pre-season’ in the time scale and I reckon we’d be up to this time next year

My feeling, and I hope I'm wrong, is that 2020-21 will be scrapped for every league in England, apart from the Prem.  Even if crowds were allowed in from Jan, which is unlikely, there's only 5 months to complete the season.  Cant be done even without cups (unless about a quarter of teams go to the wall, reducing the fixture list).  It looks like the Prem are going to play a normal/full season Autumn to May (behind closed doors) so there's no leeway for lower divisions to continue a delayed season well into next summer.  Its all or nothing and its clearly not going to be all.

6 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

My feeling, and I hope I'm wrong, is that 2020-21 will be scrapped for every league in England, apart from the Prem.  Even if crowds were allowed in from Jan, which is unlikely, there's only 5 months to complete the season.  Cant be done even without cups (unless about a quarter of teams go to the wall, reducing the fixture list).  It looks like the Prem are going to play a normal/full season Autumn to May (behind closed doors) so there's no leeway for lower divisions to continue a delayed season well into next summer.  Its all or nothing and its clearly not going to be all.

I'm not sure how 90% of the EFL could survive being effectively mothballed until August 2021 though, they're going to have to do something that gets money into the clubs long, long before then.

18 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Could start in January and run half a season, only playing opposing teams home or away 

What was the plan for the World Cup 2022 in Qatar? Thought they had to do some messing about for that anyway 

If we get through the next couple of weeks without another spike and the numbers continue to drop I reckon Britain will be clear of it by the end of September

42 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

I'm not sure how 90% of the EFL could survive being effectively mothballed until August 2021 though, they're going to have to do something that gets money into the clubs long, long before then.

I think clubs would have to put something in place to get money coming in.  Once everyone knows what division they are playing in for "next season", plans can be drawn up to sort out season ticket prices.  For arguments sake they could start selling them from Christmas, and do 12 monthly payments throughout 2021.  At least a proportion of fans would happily start paying every month and others would come on board with each passing month.  At least it would get some income into clubs.  We don't have to start the games before cashflow can re-start.

48 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Could start in January and run half a season, only playing opposing teams home or away 

What was the plan for the World Cup 2022 in Qatar? Thought they had to do some messing about for that anyway 

Assuming we're in Div 2, with a completely new squad to bed in, that scares me a bit.  Anyone in bottom half after 10 games is looking over their shoulder at relegation to the conference.  I'm not sure a club could lose its EFL status on such a truncated fixture list, especially without an even number of home & away games.

World Cup is 21st Nov to 18th Dec 2022...which presumably means an earlier than normal start to the 2022/23 season.  

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I think clubs would have to put something in place to get money coming in.  Once everyone knows what division they are playing in for "next season", plans can be drawn up to sort out season ticket prices.  For arguments sake they could start selling them from Christmas, and do 12 monthly payments throughout 2021.  At least a proportion of fans would happily start paying every month and others would come on board with each passing month.  At least it would get some income into clubs.  We don't have to start the games before cashflow can re-start.

Start in June it seems.

Not saying that won't change over next couple of weeks though 

50 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Ipswich! Aye, cos they were storming their way into the play offs. 

How competitive are the remaining games going to be with 2/3rds of the division having less than a handful of contracted players left?

Exactly, and they go on about the integrity of the league!

If they had integrity for the beautiful game they wouldn't have let us start the season with kids, shithouses....

Edited by JimmyRiddle

21 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Maybe start selling them now to get cash in, but the ST is not for a "season" but for the next 23 games that have fans present. If that's only half of next season the you'd get the first half of the following one.