Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The forgotten years of BWFC: 1980-83

paulhanley

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, miamiwhite said:

The attendance for the 82/83 season was the biggest ever tax fiddle at Burnden.

They brought at least 10k down,  the Paddock was rammed, same with the Manny Road and most stands were reasonably well filled like my Armani thong.

Eugh, I can’t unread that last sentence. 

9 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

The attendances for the 3 Newcastle matches

1980/81 w 4-0   att 11,835

1981/82  w1-0  att 6,429

1982/83 w3-1  att 17,738

I reckon of that 17,738 in 82/3 at least 50% were Geordies if not a bit more! 

Just now, paulhanley said:

I reckon of that 17,738 in 82/3 at least 50% were Geordies if not a bit more! 

Home section on the Embankment that they were given held 9k at the time and that was rammed pack mate, they had loads in every section of the ground too.

brawls throughout in the Paddock and Manny Road north, was bedlam but magic 😂💪

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

The attendance for the 82/83 season was the biggest ever tax fiddle at Burnden.

They brought at least 10k down,  the Paddock was rammed, same with the Manny Road and most stands were reasonably well filled like my Armani thong.

You've shit yourself? 😂

What were the Sheffield Wednesday crowds at Burnden, they brought 6,000 plus midweek in 80/81 then apparantly another big following in 81/82.I didn't go to that one. In 82/83 they brought about 1,500 - 2,000 in a meaningless end of season match for them.

In those 3 seasons the only other clubs I remember getting the big half of the Embankment were Forest for an FA Cup tie in 80/81 and Blackburn for a Xmas match. It's the only time ive been impressed with a Blackburn following there was a good 4,000 of them.I thought Forest's following was shite.They were European Champions and brought less than Blackburn let alone Wednesday

• Site Supporter

80/81 was 2nd game of the season, they'd played Newcastle at home on the opening day & the Geordies ran riot. We stopped in Sheffield for a couple of pints on the way home from Notts County & had a good crack with a few barcodes... As an aside Jimmy Nail got nicked & sent down for his part in that day's shenanigans. 

30 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

What were the Sheffield Wednesday crowds at Burnden, they brought 6,000 plus midweek in 80/81 then apparantly another big following in 81/82.I didn't go to that one. In 82/83 they brought about 1,500 - 2,000 in a meaningless end of season match for them.

In those 3 seasons the only other clubs I remember getting the big half of the Embankment were Forest for an FA Cup tie in 80/81 and Blackburn for a Xmas match. It's the only time ive been impressed with a Blackburn following there was a good 4,000 of them.I thought Forest's following was shite.They were European Champions and brought less than Blackburn let alone Wednesday

Attendances against Sheffield Wednesday

1980/81 D 0-0  att 15,926

1981/82  W 3-1 att 13,656

1982/83  L 0-2 att 6,408

Edited by dusan nikolic

3 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

1982/83  L 0-2 att 6,408

Thanks for that. I make it 35,990 v Sheff Weds and 36,002 v Newcastle. The Geordies have it. Realistically there were probably a good 7,000 Wednesday on for that midweek match in 1980

8 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

1982/83  L 0-2 att 6,408

I'm surprised that the 82/83 crowd was so low. I seem to remember them bringing a fair few to that, the weekend before they met Brighton in the cup semi final.  Ian Bailey who we'd previously had on loan that season broke his leg iirc

On 03/04/2020 at 20:57, leigh white said:

During our good run from Nov till the end of Jan in 82/83 we played a very decent Leicester side off the park winning 3-1, a side with Lineker, Lynex and Alan Smith who went on to gain promotion.

Looking at the results after that 1-4 v Shrewsbury, I cant believe we got relegated.  Nov, Dec, Jan was more like promotion form.  4 points in 4 games in Feb. 1st half of March 1 win out of 2. Then we nosedived, 5 consecutive defeats including that 5-0 at Carlisle.  I went to that on the coach, I've got a photo I took on my camera of us singing John McGovern's Super White Army, no exaggeration it lasted 20 minutes and we were at least 3-0 down.  There was no anti-McGovern feeling at all.  Another thing about that season was matches on consecutive days - beat Carlisle Boxing Day then the next day Leeds away, drew 1-1, one of the 1st away games I did, I vividly recall Whatmore's equaliser near the away end.  We only took about 500 and it was all pay on the day, standing.  15k on.  Then 30th April, a great 0-0 at Leicester, followed by home 0-0 v Grimsby the next day (why?).

11 hours ago, Benny The Ball said:

I was at Uni 1980-83 and had to pick my games , best London following I can recall in that era was an FA cup match at Crystal Palace when we had maybe 800 on 

One thing that sticks in my mind with that game was the banter - we were put ,  as they did at Palace in those days , in a corner quadrant on the open terracing separated by fencing from the Palace fans .

When we started singing , there was a lot of Saarf London accents shouting randomly over the fence  "You Waat " ... " You Waat" 

As the game went on it evolved into Bolton fans mimicking the Palace fans and shouting back "you what" and  throwing the odd "Eh" in every time the Palace fans sang 

Am sure that afternoons banter  led to the origin of that  famous terrace classic of the 80s " You what You What You What You What You What  Eh " 

That's a great memory.  I used to watch a lot of lower division football from 81 to  84 and "you what you what you what you what you what Eh" was chanted at virtually every game.  Great innocent times.  Another one I remember was "Oh you all talk funny, all talk funny, all talk funny over there" whenever we played Southerners.

27 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

The kick - Off  was 11.30 am Paul , bizarre time.

Blackburn at home New Years Day 83 was either 11 or 11.30 KO, I was absolutely hammered from NY Eve (being as old as 16) but wild horses wouldnt keep me away from that.  Rovers fans had the "home" bit of Embankment, about 3,500.  Cracking atmosphere, Tony Henry scored a superb free kick to win game 1-0, we went mental. 

7 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Looking at the results after that 1-4 v Shrewsbury, I cant believe we got relegated.  Nov, Dec, Jan was more like promotion form.  4 points in 4 games in Feb. 1st half of March 1 win out of 2. Then we nosedived, 5 consecutive defeats including that 5-0 at Carlisle.  I went to that on the coach, I've got a photo I took on my camera of us singing John McGovern's Super White Army, no exaggeration it lasted 20 minutes and we were at least 3-0 down.  There was no anti-McGovern feeling at all.  Another thing about that season was matches on consecutive days - beat Carlisle Boxing Day then the next day Leeds away, drew 1-1, one of the 1st away games I did, I vividly recall Whatmore's equaliser near the away end.  We only took about 500 and it was all pay on the day, standing.  15k on.  Then 30th April, a great 0-0 at Leicester, followed by home 0-0 v Grimsby the next day (why?).

It was one of those seasons were the gap between mid table and the bottom 3 was tiny. A huge amount of teams were in danger until very late. Needless to say it was us who ended up being the fall guys. If we'd not had to sell Peter Reid and Tony Henry due to the financial difficulties it's fair to say we'd have survived that season.

13 hours ago, paulhanley said:

It was one of those seasons were the gap between mid table and the bottom 3 was tiny. A huge amount of teams were in danger until very late. Needless to say it was us who ended up being the fall guys. If we'd not had to sell Peter Reid and Tony Henry due to the financial difficulties it's fair to say we'd have survived that season.

Indeed.  Dave Hoggan was another talented player that left that season, for America.  Could have been competitive if we'd kept those 3.