Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Opposing Player Who Got The Most Stick.

leigh white

I can recall a game against Fulham at BP in the 70s, and all through the game was the chant of " Mellor is a Wanker ". My parents were on holiday and got talking to him in a bar a good few years later, and when my dad said he followed Bolton, he said he could never understand why he was chosen for the abuse at the time.😊

I remember a Norwich Ciry player who came on as a sub in the late 70s. Long blonde hair. Bit of a tan. Snug fitting green shorts. He got wolf whistles and hello sailor type shouts from all parts of the ground. Never forget it. It was funny but you'll get a ban for that now.

We played Bradford City away in the League Cup (1970s ) and they had a player called Ces Podd who was of Caribbean origin. 

The abuse he got that night because of the colour of his skin was shocking .

In the context of society at the time it was not out the ordinary - did not come across that many non white players at that time. 

• Members
7 hours ago, leigh white said:

I can recall a game against Fulham at BP in the 70s, and all through the game was the chant of " Mellor is a Wanker ". My parents were on holiday and got talking to him in a bar a good few years later, and when my dad said he followed Bolton, he said he could never understand why he was chosen for the abuse at the time.😊

When I got to Fulham, I was sure you were going to mention a handbag!

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Underpants said:

I remember a Norwich Ciry player who came on as a sub in the late 70s. Long blonde hair. Bit of a tan. Snug fitting green shorts. He got wolf whistles and hello sailor type shouts from all parts of the ground. Never forget it. It was funny but you'll get a ban for that now.

I think that was Graham Paddon. He turned up wearing white boots too and got loads of stick that day.

Mentioned on another thread the other day of how Terry Curran of Sheff Weds got dog's abuse in the famous Burnden game v them in 82. 

Jim Leighton got huge grief in an FA Cup game at home v Reading in 91/2. We knocked them out too. 

Does anybody remember the chants of "Pointon, where's your wife" - when we played Oldham in the FA Cup Quarter Final in 93/4

We sold Jeff Chandler to Derby in 85 before re-signing him two years later. He came to Burnden with Derby in November 85 and got absolute dog's abuse from the Manny Road North all day. A couple of pies lobbed at him when he was taking throw-ins. 

In later years Gazza was getting distracted by all kinds of stick from the East Lower in a game v Everton around 2003. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Dr Faustus said:

Chris Waddle got a fair bit of grief when playing for Bradford in the cup, but took it well. 

Ulyses De La Cruz got tome as well, purely based on his name 

World class performance by Wayne Jacobs that day at Bradford