Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Opposing Player Who Got The Most Stick.

leigh white

8 minutes ago, Underpants said:

I remember Meldrew giving Dean Kiely dogs load of abuse down at Charlton when he was keeper there.  He was right in his ear all the time he was at our end. I don't know what Kiely had done to deserve it but it worked. He had a poor game and we won.

It might follow on from the Friday night game at Bury 

we scored and kiely didn’t give ball back, he got dogs from the fence behind 

proper ugly cnut 

• Moderators
Just now, Leyther_Matt said:

Curcic got it far worse than Fish IMO

I remember Fish getting loads off nobhead corner so everytime he came near he kissed his Charlton badge and raised a fist to the away end

4 hours ago, Barnstoneworth White said:

I know he's already been mentioned but Alan Ball playing for Southampton in the late 70s got the worst abuse I've ever heard.  The Paddock at full voice - 'Alan Ball you're a wanker.'

Probably 76/77.....didn't he flick the V sign to the Paddock and get booked ? Beat them 3-0 that day

54 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

Fish got plenty when he returned, and in the same games Jensen would get OTT applause

I think Fish tried to force himself out, and even got given a high squad number at the beginning of the following season, which pretty much confirmed he’d be gone.

Jensen on the other hand went with our blessing if I recall. 

Never really understood Blakey getting stick, besides the fact he joined a rival. I don’t think he actively seeked a move, but a Prem move beckoned and £4.3m was too good to turn down. Might be misremembering though. 

Didn't Alan Groves get loads off our lot in the 70's ?

Best reception I've seen for a former player is Worthy,  when he warmed up against the empty Embankment purely to show boat.

Worst ever stick/racism I've witnessed was at Hampden in 85, the entire masses of Jocks were very vocally in abusing Viv Anderson.....some of it can be heard on here(think of Allardyce's first name).......that was the year the tables turned at Hampden,...... 2 years later, they'd be run ragged and again in 89