Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Opposing Player Who Got The Most Stick.

leigh white

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Didn't Alan Groves get loads off our lot in the 70's ?

Best reception I've seen for a former player is Worthy,  when he warmed up against the empty Embankment purely to show boat.

Worst ever stick/racism I've witnessed was at Hampden in 85, the entire masses of Jocks were very vocally in abusing Viv Anderson.....some of it can be heard on here(think of Allardyce's first name).......that was the year the tables turned at Hampden,...... 2 years later, they'd be run ragged and again in 89

Yeah Groves got plenty against us, he was a good player though. 

12 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Yeah Groves got plenty against us, he was a good player though. 

Alan Groves wed a 16 year old girl and the Burnden Paddock didn't half give him some abuse, he got subbed and came and stood amongst us, he was a great laugh and joined in the banter. He passed away a few years later, a few of us went to Boundary Park for the Debbie Grove's benefit match pre season when they played Blackpool.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, leigh white said:

Alan Groves wed a 16 year old girl and the Burnden Paddock didn't half give him some abuse, he got subbed and came and stood amongst us, he was a great laugh and joined in the banter. He passed away a few years later, a few of us went to Boundary Park for the Debbie Grove's benefit match pre season when they played Blackpool.

The fucker missed a good chance against the baggies that might have sent us up when we won 4-0 at Charlton. 

1 minute ago, Mr Grey said:

He always seemed to have a stormer against us. He looked 38 when he was 21.

By and large though in the 70s and early 80s we did better against Blackburn than they did against us. That team of theirs had Glenn Keeley, Mick Rathbone, Derek Fazackerley, Simon Garner etc. Even in those three Div 2 years at the start of the 80s they only beat us once and never at Ewood.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

By and large though in the 70s and early 80s we did better against Blackburn than they did against us. That team of theirs had Glenn Keeley, Mick Rathbone, Derek Fazackerley, Simon Garner etc. Even in those three Div 2 years at the start of the 80s they only beat us once and never at Ewood.

Met Glen Keeley a few times over last few years. He has a business in Gonzo territory.

He was telling me that he nearly signed for us but was put off by what the players said about Phil Neal.

13 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Met Glen Keeley a few times over last few years. He has a business in Gonzo territory.

He was telling me that he nearly signed for us but was put off by what the players said about Phil Neal.

He did play a few games under Neal though , were they on loan. I always wondered why he didn't hang around long.

Edited by dusan nikolic

• Site Supporter

Yes, played a few games - scored against Port Vale in the f.a cup. Used to have the Woodlands in Blackburn. My local boozer, used to get a few of the younger Rovers players in there and Foggy used to pop in a good few sundays. Most the rovers lads were arseholes. Only James Beattie did anything as a footballer and I’ve known him since he was a young kid

16 minutes ago, Steejay said:

He did definitely have a short spell with us in 88/89. He was well past his best. But we signed him the week after Mark Came had his leg broken by that twat at Chester. 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

I think Fish tried to force himself out, and even got given a high squad number at the beginning of the following season, which pretty much confirmed he’d be gone.

Jensen on the other hand went with our blessing if I recall. 

Never really understood Blakey getting stick, besides the fact he joined a rival. I don’t think he actively seeked a move, but a Prem move beckoned and £4.3m was too good to turn down. Might be misremembering though. 

For me, fish stuck around a couple of seasons after relegation and tried to get us promoted, then after we twice didnt make it he took a PL move, it wasn't like he jumped ship at the first chance

Jensen played one season and then did one

8 hours ago, Underpants said:

I remember Meldrew giving Dean Kiely dogs load of abuse down at Charlton when he was keeper there.  He was right in his ear all the time he was at our end. I don't know what Kiely had done to deserve it but it worked. He had a poor game and we won.

I remember that game, although Kiely took it well - he had a little dance to the chant at the end of the game which drew a cheer.

Crouch’s first game for Villa was against us, so did we start the Freak chant? 

I remember Dickov equalising against us for Leicester and someone behind us calling him an umpa lumpa for most of the game.

also, less about Alan Ball, being a relative of his an all. My mum’s half of the family are mainly Evertonians. 

29 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I remember that game, although Kiely took it well - he had a little dance to the chant at the end of the game which drew a cheer.

I remember Dickov equalising against us for Leicester and someone behind us calling him an umpa lumpa for most of the game.

also, less about Alan Ball, being a relative of his an all. My mum’s half of the family are mainly Evertonians. 

The Peter Crouch freak chant started at QPR 2001 if I remember, it was in the promotion season , then Iain Dowie replaced crouch and people started shouting Ugly Freak when he went near the ball.

Edited by dusan nikolic

1 hour ago, dusan nikolic said:

The Peter Crouch freak chant started at QPR 2001 if I remember, it was in the promotion season , then Iain Dowie replaced crouch and people started shouting Ugly Freak when he went near the ball.

I went to a Blackburn V Bolton reserves game at Morecambe , Iain Dowie and his brother were both in the bar during the half time break, fuck me, Iain looked the most handsome.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

It started at QPR away in 2000ish when he was a sub warming up alongside Iain Dowie, though not sure who the chant was initially aimed at

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

9 hours ago, dusan nikolic said:

The Peter Crouch freak chant started at QPR 2001 if I remember,

8 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

It started at QPR away in 2000ish 

Want it simply a resurrection of the abuse Kevin Francis used to get?

• Members

David Dunn is a twat is a twat is a twat

David Dunn is a twat is a twat is a twat

He’s a Dingle.

For an entire half of football

Might have been David Bentley. Either way it works.

Edited by Rudy’s Message