Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Nuclear Holocaust Pissheadery

deane koontz

21 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

And forced to drink 8 pints/day

You don't need eight.

Two will have one red-faced and talking loudly.

Three unsteady on one's feet.

Four and drunken singalongs begin.

Five results in attempts to make chips on the hob using a saucepan of oil.

Six and you're asleep on the couch waiting for your chips to be lovely and crisp and brown.

Eight and you end up in the cells for knocking off a copper's helmet.

It says 4.5% on the can - they lie.

Incidentally Asda have fresh stocks of the 12x440ml boxes...

A snip at £10.

Or instead, for the same price, you could buy 1.666r cans of Brewwater Cloudy Lodge Rivi Colon or whatever...

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, Kane57 said:

Got my vaccine today so on the way home (had it at Salford Royal, or Hope Hospital to me) stopped at Leyland BB.

Two Bernie, two fog, a Milk Foley (twisted wheel), two of the other new Rivi raspberry and vanilla one (can't remember the name) and two Beach House. Sorted.

He's ticking along is young Raz. I spent £60 there on Tuesday.

Seeing Billy Bullshit down at PTB later.

Got to support these local businesses. 🍻

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

@Youri McAnespie can we get a rundown of your discount ales for the week 

Ermmm...

Rivington Cloudwater Collab - £6 a can available from it's a secret.

McEwan's Export Ale - 12x440ml for £10 available from Asda nationwide (except Scotland).

Nah, because of Dry Fannyuary all the buyers have reined it in this last month it seems, I've tried to keep my eye in but it's been very...

3e3a94f35f1641ccfaf0e4daaec78abb.jpg

The aforementioned McEwan's deal appeared back on Asda's shelves at dawn of the 1st of February - coincidence? I think not.

Next shop is Saturday, I'll do an inventory then. 😉

3 hours ago, Spider said:

I did enjoy the cases of McEwans I had last month.

I never had it pegged as a tramp juice

Is the fact there's a grinning tramp brandishing a tankard full featuring prominently on the can livery not a giveaway, then?

Nah, I make joke - I think it's supposed to be a cavalier, because of the beer's origins it's probably sommat to do with two sets of medieval bellends knocking seven bells out of each other on a peat bog six hundred years ago or sommat.

And back to jmjhb's (sp?) point about 'drinking the same ale all night' - I find mixing it up these days gets me totally twatted...

Many a time, before the apocalypse, I've sampled a conservative amount, say four pints, of different 'crafty' ales in the pub, and have staggered out shortly after wankered...

The way the CBWC mix it up reinforces my theory they just like getting pissed up with the thinnest possible veneer excuse of pursuing a 'hobby' and/or 'enjoying the taste'.

Some of the concoctions supped on Saturdays by some on here (and not just by the CBWC) - fuck mop, it's a mystery why the 'rough as fuck' thread has fallen by the wayside.

I get a headache just reading the lists of planned/partook drinks of some ("toneet I will be mostly drinking; craft ales, spirits, wine, Baileys etc..." - good grief).

I can still sup 'til the cows come home but I'll stick to one or two types of brew or beverage.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

There's a fat bloke with a face the colour of a setting sun at our craft beer pub. Sits there at the bar with assorted lonely middle aged men hangers on supping this stuff in tiny glasses, talking about the taste etc He seems to be in All the time and is always pissed boring people to death at the end of the night.

The actual local CAMRA group though are a lovely set of people, different ages and not pub bores plus never go to get wankered. 

Conclusion, interest in strong craft ales painting a thin veneer on alcoholism in fancy Dan pubs.

Edited by Not in Crawley

46 minutes ago, Rudy said:

£6 on a can of beer

£30k on a 30 year old car

£500 on a pair of trainers,

Different strokes

you can always get cheaper alternatives but it’s your money do what you want with it 

Don't get me wrong, I've made many a pretty penny off gullib...erm connoisseurs in the past - vinyl sold for three figures, and similarly; trainers, clobber, books, bullion, bits of pot* and other collectibles for daft prices.

This was after the sub-prime crash, which almost wiped me out, I took the last of my cash and some assets I had and started Del-Boy'ing it a bit to get back on my feet. It was a buyer's market for a couple of years, I did feel a twat sometimes buying up stuff off cash-strapped folk but always tried to give a decent price.

Some prices just get inflated to daft levels though, and despite what I write about greedy craft ale twats or trainer sellers et al. price is pretty much dictated by the sucke...erm the buyer.

For example I sold an entire couple of sets of the 2005 New York in all colorways for what I thought was extortionate prices about five years ago - same trainers today (possibly literally the same trainers) and now folk selling want almost double.

About ten years back I sold a small pressing 1st Edition MLP bought new early 90s for around £5, this German bloke paid £260 (I kindly paid for shipping 😀)...I felt like I should've worn a mask and stripy jumper doing the deal.

Same record now? £500+...

I sold a Prada jumper once for forty quid more than it was 'new'.

I fished a Hoover Twin-Tub out of a skip at a house clearance once, it sold on Ebay for nearly £300, shipped to some French hipster in a village just outside Paris.

Long live the discerning punter who'll pay that bit extra...😍

* ceramics.

1 hour ago, Steejay said:

He's ticking along is young Raz. I spent £60 there on Tuesday.

Seeing Billy Bullshit down at PTB later.

Got to support these local businesses. 🍻

When I was in there were two other blokes there from other BB shops in Lancaster. He was giving them some sort of business masterclass about the range of stuff he's got on. 

I tend to deal mainly with Ian at PT. He's a good guy

• Site Supporter
28 minutes ago, Kane57 said:

When I was in there were two other blokes there from other BB shops in Lancaster. He was giving them some sort of business masterclass about the range of stuff he's got on. 

I tend to deal mainly with Ian at PT. He's a good guy

I'm feeling harsh about the lad at PTB now. 🙄

He's harmless enough, just gets a bit lonely, I think.

Yep, I have a BB near me and they've nothing in that I'd buy, unless it's the Christmas treat for the binmen.

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

£6 on a can of beer

£30k on a 30 year old car

£500 on a pair of trainers,

Different strokes

you can always get cheaper alternatives but it’s your money do what you want with it 

Correct, and I like that I’m supporting local businesses too.

12 beers ordered from Rivington late last night, just had them hand delivered in person, don’t get that service with Youri’s mass produced Marston’s beer.

44 minutes ago, QFPants said:

Correct, and I like that I’m supporting local businesses too.

12 beers ordered from Rivington late last night, just had them hand delivered in person, don’t get that service with Youri’s mass produced Marston’s beer.

Hand delivered? Did you pay cash? That won't see MADMAX...

Give me £72 (12x£6) and I'll hand deliver you 48 tins of the mass-produced delicious Red Hand Grenade, I'll even chuck in four free branded cardboard box 'tables' to rest your cans on.

Those involved in the craft trade probably spend their not very hard-earned on their French chateaus, craft cocaine, speedboats and £500 Balanitis training shoes etc. - therefore very little 'trickle-down'...

If five hundred work at Marstons they probably support five hundred more spending their wages.

7 hours ago, Spider said:

McEwans is a good session ale.

I’m still abstaining and tomorrow is the first real test

Well, I've only gone and bought 12 for £10 from Asda. If it spolis my Friday neet, @Youri McAnespie'll know who to blame.

22 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

I'm itching for a beer but waiting till tomorrow 

That Rivvy delivery best turn up tomorrow 

I'd happily try McEwans if it can be bought in single cans anywhere, not lumbering myself with 4 or 12 

Boozer I go in near tynecastle that doesn’t serve tennents and serves Mcewans on draught. 

so bottles of peroni it is 

Dunno why, but I found myself reading a trade magazine for the drinks industry many years ago.

The article was about how 'reassuringly expensive' Stella Artois had been 'chavified' and was now derided as low-rent 'wifebeater' etc.

It went on to make comparisons with other similarly devalued brands like Burberry and Polo by Ralph Lauren - and how, despite throwing the kitchen sink at the problem it had proved nigh on impossible to turn the tide back.

Therefore InBev decided to buy up the Peroni brand, which was then fairly unknown and pretty much only found gathering dust in 330ml bottles on Sainsbury's shelves and Italian restaurant fridges.

They were going to promote it as the successor to Stella as the 'premier' marque - bigger bottles, draught in pubs, better distribution etc.

Only one problem - it was fucking piss when brewed in Italy, and even pissier when brewed here.

Italians, when they drink beer, pretty much avoid domestic (especially Peroni, but Moretti too) - they drink Zipfer (Austria), Becks (Germany), Ceres, Heineken and Premium Carlsberg (Denmark) and many others (Tennents Super?) - but Peroni? Nope.

In short - it's Italy's Carling.

Long live The Cavalier. Esco you obviously have no palate.

@ZicoKelly

It's only £4.25 for 4x500ml at Morrison's - that's not even 3/4 of the price of a single can of your fancy trampjuice. 'Lumbered with' indeed...

@boltondiver

Make sure to chill it to perfection.

Don't drink it straight out of the box.

4 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Dunno why, but I found myself reading a trade magazine for the drinks industry many years ago.

The article was about how 'reassuringly expensive' Stella Artois had been 'chavified' and was now derided as low-rent 'wifebeater' etc.

It went on to make comparisons with other similarly devalued brands like Burberry and Polo by Ralph Lauren - and how, despite throwing the kitchen sink at the problem it had proved nigh on impossible to turn the tide back.

Therefore InBev decided to buy up the Peroni brand, which was then fairly unknown and pretty much only found gathering dust in 330ml bottles on Sainsbury's shelves and Italian restaurant fridges.

They were going to promote it as the successor to Stella as the 'premier' marque - bigger bottles, draught in pubs, better distribution etc.

Only one problem - it was fucking piss when brewed in Italy, and even pissier when brewed here.

Italians, when they drink beer, pretty much avoid domestic (especially Peroni, but Moretti too) - they drink Zipfer (Austria), Becks (Germany), Ceres, Heineken and Premium Carlsberg (Denmark) and many others (Tennents Super?) - but Peroni? Nope.

In short - it's Italy's Carling.

Long live The Cavalier. Esco you you have no palate.

@ZicoKelly

It's only £4.25 for 4x500ml at Morrison's - that's not even 3/4 of the price of a single can of your fancy trampjuice. 'Lumbered with' indeed...

@boltondiver

Make sure to chill it to perfection.

Don't drink it straight out of the box.

It’s the only lager apart from mcewans and sol they sell from memory 

they also sell deuchars ipa on draught so sometimes I go for that 

i wouldn’t choose to buy peroni in a supermarket etc  it’s just the best of a bad bunch  in that pub which is a staple visit before I go to tynescastle on the odd occasion there is a spare ticket and I can be arsed watching shit and I’m not at Livingston  

pubs up here for a pint of draught peroni you will pay minimum 6 quid now Upto about 8 quid.  not a chance I’m paying that