Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Nuclear Holocaust Pissheadery

deane koontz

I've given this more thought.

I think buying small amounts from random shops invokes deep emotions.

When we were kids out on street/wasteground/fairground etc. piss-ups I used to like showing off during our wanderings by popping into random corner-shops for another single or perhaps a pack to share - each time getting a buzz from the under-age service and that there was yet another shop where I'd be served on the list.

My contemporaries couldn't get served anywhere.

It was quite lucrative - the Friday booze run, even though my commission was relatively modest.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

11 minutes ago, jmjhb said:

That's the Trappist ale isn't it. 

The name isn't bad at all, just named after the plot of land the abbey was built on, but why they bothered to employ a poncy marketing firm I don't know

It was billed as Trappist, but reading on their website they only had their first go a few years back using a fcking beer kit...

They did though (employ poncey marketeers), did you see it?

I wondered why one monk got dirt unceremoniously shovelled on his bonce yet another was carefully dirtified and had roses strewn on him...

This was after they'd GOT DEAD btw, and had a bit in the communal coffin.

1 hour ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I'm glad the weathers shite again, my afternoon garden tin was becoming a regular feature...

I run about 10-12km twice a week.

Just a can a day every day pretty much undoes that effort.

(Based on a 10k run about 1200kcal, can of ale about 350kcal).

Surely not 1200 calories per run?

15 minutes ago, QFPants said:

Surely not 1200 calories per run?

On the gym treadmill, after input of; weight/height/age/sex etc. The 'calories burned' used to go into four figures on longer 'runs' of an hour or so (on incline)...

Hang on, I'll check...

Yep, Saturday, running outside, 12km on the nose - 1252kcal (79.3m gain). That's according to my 'MapMy...' app.

I'm still getting back to full fitness so will keep my time to mesen.

For the uninitiated, it's surprising how much work it takes to burn calories, I often wonder if salad-dodgers would eat that 'ONLY 87 CALORIES' 'healthy' choc bar or bag of crisps if they knew that's not shy of jogging for 1km to burn off.

• Site Supporter
24 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

On the gym treadmill, after input of; weight/height/age/sex etc. The 'calories burned' used to go into four figures on longer 'runs' of an hour or so (on incline)...

Hang on, I'll check...

Yep, Saturday, running outside, 12km on the nose - 1252kcal (79.3m gain). That's according to my 'MapMy...' app.

For the uninitiated, it's surprising how much work it takes to burn calories, I often wonder if salad-dodgers would eat that 'ONLY 87 CALORIES' 'healthy' choc bar or bag of crisps if they knew that's not shy of jogging for 1km to burn off.

You burn calories just thinking about stuff.

stress is a really calorie sponge too.

13 minutes ago, Spider said:

You burn calories just thinking about stuff.

stress is a really calorie sponge too.

Getting stressed thinking where you last had the huge bindle of whizz you've been consuming and is now lost?

It's like doing an Ironman.

Well, the 'three Lynx in the kitchen cupboard' is now down to two...

Their mate came with me to the garden, the 'emergency' being the humane capture and release of a daddy-long-legs...

It's not particularly sunny nor warm it's just a piss poor excuse to drink.

Probably have the DT's come 5pm this time next week.

• Members
1 hour ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Hang on, I'll check...

Running a 10 minute mile would do about 115 calories

You’d need to do a 10 mile run to hit 1200, depending on your weight and age and being able to keep a constant speed 

31 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Running a 10 minute mile would do about 115 calories

You’d need to do a 10 mile run to hit 1200, depending on your weight and age and being able to keep a constant speed 

I overestimated, should've put 1000+ for 10km

This is according to 'MapMy...' app and the treadmill computer at the gym.

My 12km run on Saturday, according to 'MapMy' burned 1252kcal, there's quite a few hills on that run and I'm aware of the laws of physics 😉. I always took these as a 'ballpark' stat and wouldn't second guess someone who does it for a career...

I'm very much the wrong side of forty, probably 90-93kg and out of shape atm after a layoff of any form of exercise bar wankin' and lots of shit food and ale over nine months until 1st Feb.

My time was shite, but a best so far this year at under an hour and eleven minutes, 5.53 per km pace iirc.

• Members
8 minutes ago, QFPants said:

How does speed correlate anyway Rudy? If you do the same distance faster then you’re not excercising for as long, I have no idea

It’s about having a consistent speed to enable all your muscle groups are working at the same intensity, not necessarily duration. 
You can calculate the correct speed for your weight to maintain and effectively burn more calories 

It's odd, when we're away (cheapskate shitfan) I run with Jack and SupaJohn on Radio Manc and always run faster than my midweek music runs...

I found out yesterday the hard way running on empty is a no-goer these days, ran before breaking fast and it was like running on a sand dune with kitchen roll tube legs and diving booted feet.

Was fooked at 6km and nearly chucked it in at 8km...My form was really shit and heavy-footed an' all, surprised I didn't acquire a niggle or worse.

Never again.

• Members
5 hours ago, boltondiver said:

Holsten Pils

There’s a blast from the past.

Used to have a customer when I worked in the pub he asked for a bottle of Holsten Pills in a pint glass full of ice every time

Fuckin weirdo

Edited by Rudy

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

It’s about having a consistent speed to enable all your muscle groups are working at the same intensity, not necessarily duration. 
You can calculate the correct speed for your weight to maintain and effectively burn more calories 

pls post a link

6 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Been a long time since I’ve calculated it manually think it’s BMR x Mets / 24 x hour

you'd have to explain that to me!

27 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Used to have a customer when I worked in the pub he asked for a bottle of Holsten Pills in a pint glass full of ice every time

Fuckin weirdo

Dieting?

Remember that 'diet' ale, think Marston's brewed it, 'Low C', sure it was still around 229 kcal for a 300ml bottle..?

Was fucking shite as well.

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, QFPants said:

How does speed correlate anyway Rudy? If you do the same distance faster then you’re not excercising for as long, I have no idea

As @Rudy said age, weight, speed (which will be linked to HR and effort) all play a part. My Strava (which pulls down all the above data from my Garmin watch) had me burning 877 calories for 10K 2 weeks ago and 730 last week. 

• Site Supporter

Anyway feel free to ignore/dismiss/berate my above post, just realised it’s the Covid Pissheadery thread, so back on task, I’ve got bottles of Amigos chilling in the fridge ready for today’s early kick off. 

No I was just interested. My Garmin had me at 565 calories for a 10k yesterday and I was wondering how accurate that was and how many beers I’d earned. 

Still debating whether to wait until second half before I start on the beer, have done that the last few games and it’s worked out ok for the whites.

• Members
21 minutes ago, QFPants said:

No I was just interested. My Garmin had me at 565 calories for a 10k yesterday and I was wondering how accurate that was and how many beers I’d earned. 

Still debating whether to wait until second half before I start on the beer, have done that the last few games and it’s worked out ok for the whites.

Garmin is some of the best tech so yeah I’d say it’s about right 

oh and I’m very superstitious when it comes to football , don’t change the routine