Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Nuclear Holocaust Pissheadery

deane koontz

Just now, Nordkurve said:

If you are going out for a meal and you are driving it is nice to have an alcohol free beer as opposed to a coke or water.

In your opinion. In mine I would rather drink water or Diet Coke. Or pretty much any soft drink rather than an alcohol free beer 

Guest Nordkurve
25 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Alcohol-free beer is bad enough, paying the same or more for it as the real deal is an atrocity.

All of them are shite, without exception.

Which is why Home Bargains flog them for about 29p a can or bottle - nobody wants them.

Last time I was in they had the Carlsberg, Becks and Peroni ones in.

Have you had Erding Alkoholfrei ? It tastes just as good as normal beer.

Guest Nordkurve
Just now, Escobarp said:

In your opinion. In mine I would rather drink water or Diet Coke. Or pretty much any soft drink rather than an alcohol free beer 

1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

Yeh it is my opinion, but you just said you don't even think you have ever tried Alcohol Free beer, so how can you say you would rather have a coke if you haven't even tasted the beer ?

Guest Nordkurve
Just now, Youri McAnespie said:

I did, from Sainsbury's once, you're right it does taste just like real Wheatbeer - catpiss.

😀

That's just your opinion as Escobarp would say :)

Just now, Nordkurve said:

Yeh it is my opinion, but you just said you don't even think you have ever tried Alcohol Free beer, so how can you say you would rather have a coke if you haven't even tasted the beer ?

Because I don’t see the point? Is that ok with you? I really hope it is 

• Site Supporter

Before this descends into another bloody argument

Erdinger is dead good. Forget for a moment that it’s beer. Treat it as a refreshing drink in its own right, like any soft drink, and you’d probably enjoy it.

I agree to a point that alcohol free beer is pointless as a replacement for beer, because part of the fun is the buzz and the burn of the alcohol.

Jesus Christ.

3 minutes ago, Nordkurve said:

That's just your opinion as Escobarp would say :)

If prefer "That's just like your, opinion, man..."

I remember, as a kid, waiting until I was particularly flush to buy a big bottle of Hoegaarden - it was one of those very dear beers only available in places like Sainsbury's or the Oddbins on Piccadilly approach.

Never been as disappointed in my life.

I knew I should've plumped for Leffe instead.

Guest Nordkurve
3 minutes ago, Spider said:

Erdinger is dead good. Forget for a moment that it’s beer. Treat it as a refreshing drink in its own right, like any soft drink, and you’d probably enjoy it.

I agree to a point that alcohol free beer is pointless as a replacement for beer, because part of the fun is the buzz and the burn of the alcohol.

Jesus Christ.

8 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Because I don’t see the point? Is that ok with you? I really hope it is 

FFS

9 minutes ago, Spider said:

Jesus Christ.

I quite like the fruit Radlers (hello sailor) they do in Poland, Holland, Austria etc.

But even those are about 2%.

Some of Lidl's pink grapefruit stuff fuelled me home from Bratislava after contracting salmonella poisoning - that and sips of full sugar Coke were the only things I found I could keep down, even water made me puke my ring up.

They tried stocking them here but no takers - folk drink to get pissed over here.

Or in the case of the craft beerists, to excuse pissing away hundreds pursuing 'taste' whilst actually getting shitfaced on trampjuice knocked up in a cowshed.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

Another favourite as a kid, Eisbrau Czech beer from Morrison's - many a time I'd treat myself to one of those after The Water Place (the training pool, I wasn't some fourteen year old proto-nonce).

Really smoky flavour - quite dear at 85p a bottle. Never got pissed on it.

I'd sometimes make a big song and dance or have a chat at the till to be remembered, then slip out and sup it quickly, go back in and buy sommat cheaper, but slyly get another bottle of Eisbrau off the shelf and hold it by my side with the receipt from the supped one.

I thought I was really cunning but they probably just didn't give a shit, more concerned with smackheads walking out with half the spirits section.

It was mental practice having that separate booze section.

Speaking of which, it's only fairly recently Morrison's stopped selling singles off packs, though it was never advertised. If you took a single can up they just charged quarter price of the pack.

That's why they always had a bargain basket of singles. People splitting packs to buy singles.

Had a good beer section did Morrison's when it was in that separate bit, can remember beer from Peru and Macedonia in there before Macedonia was a place...

Dry-ish March, when it was nice last Sunday went for a bike ride, took a pack of butties and, as an afterthought, a can of E3 Lager...

Crompton Lodges was packed so ended up on Farnworth Cemetery...

Quiet as the grave.

20210228-153451.jpg

I had my butties and the beer but it gave me 'the taste' so I mooched to the Premier Stores on Rawson Street for another, the minimum card spend was a fiver, so one big 660ml Tyskie became two...

I went back tert graveyard and supped one then found I was already planning continuing and having a bike boozeathon and what offys I could visit along the ride.

So left it at that and went home.

The other Tyskie is still unopened in the fridge.

1 minute ago, Rudy said:

@Youri McAnespie if I pictured you as Withnail would I be far wrong?

Spider said that.

The only thing I've in common with old Withnail is an appetite for booze and for shouting "Scrubbers! Scrubbers!" at schoolgirls from a moving vehicle...

In normal times a packet of butties (mixed chicken selection) and a tin of beer in a graveyard wouldn't be my idea of a day out but needs must.

It was a very pleasant day, last Sunday, it's wank today (the weather, not my plans) - the beer and sandwiches remain in the fridge.

Oh aye, Champignuells 500ml bottles are 99p at Asda.

Not bad for French stuff.

The barcodes won't scan btw, gold label shines back, you have to key it in or go to a manned till. 😎

• Members
7 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Spider said that.

The only thing I've in common with old Withnail is an appetite for booze and for shouting "Scrubbers! Scrubbers!" at schoolgirls from a moving vehicle...

In normal times a packet of butties (mixed chicken selection) and a tin of beer in a graveyard wouldn't be my idea of a day out but needs must.

It was a very pleasant day, last Sunday, it's wank today (the weather, not my plans) - the beer and sandwiches remain in the fridge.

Oh aye, Champignuells 500ml bottles are 99p at Asda.

Not bad for French stuff.

The barcodes won't scan btw, gold label shines back, you have to key it in or go to a manned till. 😎

I like champignuells, stumbled upon it when I left my debit card at home and was determined not to go home without any beer, so cleared the lint from the coppers and Voila 

49 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Dry-ish March, when it was nice last Sunday went for a bike ride, took a pack of butties and, as an afterthought, a can of E3 Lager...

Crompton Lodges was packed so ended up on Farnworth Cemetery...

Quiet as the grave.

20210228-153451.jpg

I had my butties and the beer but it gave me 'the taste' so I mooched to the Premier Stores on Rawson Street for another, the minimum card spend was a fiver, so one big 660ml Tyskie became two...

I went back tert graveyard and supped one then found I was already planning continuing and having a bike boozeathon and what offys I could visit along the ride.

So left it at that and went home.

The other Tyskie is still unopened in the fridge.

You didn't fall victim to a sneaky whoopsie robbery this time then? 🙂

14 minutes ago, deane koontz said:

You didn't fall victim to a sneaky whoopsie robbery this time then? 🙂

Nah, full price these ones.

The days of Whoops are long gone, too many folk on their arse snap stuff up when there's 5p off sommat.

🙁

Funnily enough though, there were loads of cheap butties in the new Burnden Lidl last night, but folk were mauling through them so I passed.

• Site Supporter

In the Crowne Plaza hotel bar in Harrogate, Erdinger is £9 a pint (or was last visit in 2019) Apparently folk on expenses don’t mind. It also makes the £4.50 to £5.00 pints of normal stuff a little more palatable.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Rudy said:

@Youri McAnespie if I pictured you as Withnail would I be far wrong?

I now picture him more as a handsome but ageing member of Enid Blyton’s Famous Five. Julian probably.

Holding it all together after the fame of youth sent him spiralling down a cliff face of alcohol and excess.

I imagine him toying with the idea of buying a silk paisley scarf in the near future. Nothing elaborate, just enough to set him apart from the riff raff and catch the eye of more discerning milfs who may be in the booze aisle at Home Bargains one day.

And I bet he goes cycling in his jeans.