Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Nuclear Holocaust Pissheadery

deane koontz

7 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

Couple of mates at Uni used to talk of "triangulation" when buying drinks. Each point of the triangle being price, alcohol content and volume when assessing value for money getting pissed. Something called Scotsmac I remember was good, no idea if they still sell it. 

Taste was never considered. Not far off going the local petrol station for a couple of litres of 4-star to neck. 

If you're disregarding taste, then Frosty Jacks is about £1 a litre and 7.5% strength.

• Members
14 hours ago, Escobarp said:

Bucky is the devils drink. As you point out youri it’s full of caffeine summat like the equivalent of ten cans of coke in one bottle. The chosen drink of not rights all across Scotland. 

I was in a cafe in Edinburgh big bastard of a man comes in, loud as out, he’s talking to the chap behind the counter and I hear him say this 

I was at ya mans Tommy’s, I’d already been drinking since Tuesday YKnow, this was Friday aye, and Tommy breaks out the Bucky, don’t think I slept until Sunday. 4 bottles of stuff. Aye it was a good crack.

So when I paid the bill I said to the man behind the counter, what’s Bucky? he says it’s the stuff they use to fire rockets to the moon. Stay away from that stuff 

10 hours ago, green genie said:

Only had Buckfast once 30 odd years ago when it was still brewed by the Monks at the eponymous Abbey.

.. benedictine monks. 

:lol: , theyll get stereotyped if theyre not careful. 

still cant believe how much it (mixing 'beer' and 'cafeine') keeps you up. 

some of it was due to fear of not waking up again. 

crazy. 

1 minute ago, e2e4 said:

.. benedictine monks. 

:lol: , theyll get stereotyped if theyre not careful. 

still cant believe how much it (mixing 'beer' and 'cafeine') keeps you up. 

some of it was due to fear of not waking up again. 

crazy. 

I’ve a mate who tans a bottle in a oner and two big lines before he leaves the house for every away game. Even if it’s a 6am start. Up,showered,  dressed buckfast and bing.  Breakfast of champions he calls it. 

im sure thats the plot to a book or two. 

"breakfast of champions" is an actual book too , but i think thats about a car salesman running for office in a wacky world. the slaughterhouse five guy wrote it  . 

Skinflints' Update: Some serious potential for cheap rate liver damage - it's Asda this time, the supermarket I vowed never to shop in again...

Red Stripe Lager 4.8% 24x330ml Cans - £12, that's 50p per can.

Brothers Red Apple Cider 5% 10x440ml - £5, that's 50p per can.

Sagres Lager 5% 24x330ml Cans - £12, that's 50p a can.

Hoegaarden Weissbier 4.9%  8x330ml Bottles - £9.

Amstel Lager 4.1% 30x440ml Cans - £21, that's 70p a can.

And the sale of the century...

Magners Original Cider 4.5% 36x440ml - £20, that's 55p a can.

My feelers are out for more treats for tramps so keep 'em peeled.

9 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Skinflints' Update: Some serious potential for cheap rate liver damage - it's Asda this time, the supermarket I vowed never to shop in again...

Keep 'em coming, mate. 
Been a tough year financially and at these prices I can get pissed for a week for the same money as the craft type spend on one evening.

12 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I don’t like Magnets, but at them prices.....

15 minutes ago, Traf said:

Keep 'em coming, mate. 
Been a tough year financially and at these prices I can get pissed for a week for the same money as the craft type spend on one evening.

I'm always on the hunt - I can't really take full advantage still have to watch my intake.

No reason others can't indulge though.

7 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Do you stock up when down here? Due to that meddlesome ratbag and her minimum pricing north of the border?

Yes mate. My missus gave me a list of wines etc to get other week when down. 267 quid up here 158 south of the border. If I wasn’t down in north west for anything it’s 50 mins to berwick for same deals so would do that 

1 hour ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Get some Vimto cordial and make your own 'Justin' - you can also buy esomeprazole over the counter now - brand name is Guardium, and it's sold at Asda.

Ribena or Tesco's own Blackcurrant is better for Justinising cheap cider.

4 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

4 bud light for £2 in spar and i wish i still had the taste for it

I bought a four pack of that for £1.99 from the One Stop Shop near Townleys - our last normal summer.

Fuck mop - I'm a goat concerning alcohol, I'd sup owt,  I'd sup fermented mare's piss.

But Bud light was another level - it makes the regular Budweiser piss taste like an artesan Czech lager pulled by a 90's Eva Herzigova* in the best bar in Ceske-Budovice...

It's easily the worst alcohol I've ever consumed, by far - and once, as a poor student, I made a big jug of 'Bellini' (well I say jug, it was actually a 3L plastic bottle with the neck sawn off) - it was the night big Frank beat McCall for the WBC title.

I needed pint money to get into the pub and watch the fight - and money was so tight I couldn't afford even the cheapest blackcurrant cordial to make Diesel with the 3L pre-pub drinks bottle of (8.4%) Omega cider I'd bought, probably scraping a few more pence for 10 Embassy Filter too... What I did have as a mixer in lieu of cordial was 4xdented tins of peach halves in syrup I'd procured much earlier for 60p from an asian grocers (and a stick blender).

The resultant concoction was vile - like drinking vomit, and I think the peaches were kickstarted into fermentation by the Knight Rider as I was still pissed Monday Morning.

Anyhow, I'd drink Bellini A La Youri all day long over 'one can - instant hangover' Bud Light.

I'd even choose Cointreau over it - one of the few boozes that the smell alone of makes me retch - since another youthful experiment went badly wrong.

* Eva - In her 90's pomp.

article-0-0B682E2100000578-937_468x627.j

Edited by Youri McAnespie

On 07/12/2020 at 00:54, jayjayoghani said:

Couple of mates at Uni used to talk of "triangulation" when buying drinks. Each point of the triangle being price, alcohol content and volume when assessing value for money getting pissed. Something called Scotsmac I remember was good, no idea if they still sell it. 

Taste was never considered. Not far off going the local petrol station for a couple of litres of 4-star to neck. 

My mum, god rest her soul, when enjoying an all too brief retirement rather belatedly took on the role of bored housewife.

She got a taste for having a wee nip of this (Scotsmac or Clan Dew) to liven up daytime telly, bingo or trips to Bolton Market. When I used to visit home to cadge food and/or money and steal clean towels I'd often find a bottle in the clean linen hamper. Sometimes it was an even worse generic version that Kwik-Save knocked out. She probably had to go cold turkey when my old man joined her in retirement.

Re: triangulation - a mate went through clearing and ended up at Sunderland, he formed a real society, like 100% crazy students do. 'The University of Sunderland White Cider Appreciation Society' would convene each Thursday early evening to debate the merits of that week's featured cider, the label off a bottle of the drink being considered would be plastered onto the wall of his halls room and comments would be recorded in biro underneath.

Omega, White Ace, Ice Dragon, White Lighting, Frosty Jack, Pulse, White Star etc. all had 'tastings'...

Me and a mate had to take up some of our G/L L'eau du vie - Special Red, for the society to consider as they couldn't get it up there.

After these sophisticated soirees they'd go out around Sunderland - class.

Edited by Youri McAnespie