Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Buying a bike

Mounts Kipper

• Members
10 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Already had this discussion. Wear appropriate clothing. You wouldn’t play football in flippers would you?

No problem with correct equipment just my observation as a person with eyes that men in Lycra on bikes look like bellends 

4 minutes ago, Rudy said:

No problem with correct equipment just my observation as a person with eyes that men in Lycra on bikes look like bellends 

They’d look even more like bellends  in football kits. Or wetsuits. Or tutus. 

• Site Supporter
51 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Already had this discussion. Wear appropriate clothing. You wouldn’t play football in flippers would you?

Agreed.

Not a great image when the gut overhangs the elastic, but fuck it, getting fit is what counts.

I also remember in younger days, getting trousers caught between chain and front cog. Quite scary for a moment; cycling clothing definitely the way to go.

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, Rudy said:

also known as MAMIL

Middle Age Man In Lycra

Not knocking it though

I just got a bike and this is now my path

Nowt wrong with winter riding. Saturday morning in a past life was bombing around Rivi and Anglezarke on my mountain bike and returning looking like Swampy. Fucking ace. Mrs Manc The First even cited it in the divorce documents

@Rudy riding up Winter Hill in January is for children. Lakes, Peaks, Welsh forests....now you're talking

Anyone interested in decent biking clobber that isn't lycra visit 

https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw3ZX4BRDmARIsAFYh7ZI7leC_CaD3Nx0OwRr9bxWAFigj_5YlI0JGl3-FtSA-qTlFwv3DQswaApqHEALw_wcB

Ground Effect stuff is brilliant. I'd love to support local business, UK sellers, blah, blah, blah but you can't get owt like their stuff for quality and price. Takes a week or so to arrive. Same gear is good for walking, running, etc and you don't look like a lycra twat

3 hours ago, White on Tyne said:

How’s it for sizing as it’s a long way to send back if (when) it’s inevitably too tight?

It’s what I call “standard”. I’m 6 foot and 14 stone and anything large fits perfectly. They tend to do baggy rather than tight. If in doubt go one size larger. I did on a couple of the wicking first layer shirts. At the end of the day mountain biking gear isn’t about a close fit. If it looks too big it doesn’t look bad, if it looks too tight you look like an arse

I’m after a new pair of Supertankers shorts . 149 NZD. Bit pricey at today’s exchange rate but I’ve had the current pair over 17 years and the zips have just bust on the pockets and the foam lining has just started to peel away and that’s after many years serious mountain biking. I’ll happily pay for my next pair as they’ll see me to the grave.