Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Favourite and least favourite countries you have visited

bolton_blondie

11 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Annie's again? 😂😂😂

😂😂😂 no mate. Only one visit to Annie’s on that trip and it’s not that expensive as you know 😁

back again in December if all this is over so hopefully be paying a visit 

Guest Nordkurve
16 hours ago, Spider said:

My son asked me how you start a plane yesterday.

He thinks they have a key like cars do.

I told him to stop being so thick then realised that I don’t actually know.

Can you enlighten my son please? And me, if I’m being honest 😊

Ok. This is the normal way. Aircraft will have external power connected, although it’s not required. Ignoring all the Avionics that will be up and running before you start the Engines (Air Data systems, Flight Management etc) you will start the APU. This is basically a small Turbine Engine usually at the arse end of the Aircraft. It provides electrics and pneumatics. This can be started without external power as it has its own battery. Once this is up and running you can start the Engines. Each Engine has a Starter motor. It’s basically an air driven motor that rotates the gearbox. When you select Engine start which is normally a rotary selector that will be held in the start position by a solenoid, pneumatic bleed from the APU is fed to the starter motor which starts to rotate the Engine via the gearbox. When the Engine is rotating fast enough the fuel is added. On most modern Engines this is controlled by the EEC which is basically a Computer on the side of the Engine. The Ignition system will already be running. The Fuel/Air mixture ignites and expands through the Turbine section and the Engine accelerates. Once at a set percentage the Starter disengages. The Engine stabilises at the predetermined Idle power setting. The Engines then are available to also supply Electrics (Gearbox mounted generator) and Hydraulic Power (Gearbox mounted pump) as well as Bleed Air and of course Thrust.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Just about the only person I’ve seen say Memphis is a shit hole. I totally agree, I really didn’t like the place at all. Graceland was good but otherwise, forget it. Rough as toast

The neighborhood where we stayed in Memphis was nice enough but the centre was proper ropey

Beale Street was a massive grotty let down

9 hours ago, Escobarp said:

😂😂😂 no mate. Only one visit to Annie’s on that trip and it’s not that expensive as you know 😁

back again in December if all this is over so hopefully be paying a visit 

I hope you're right mate. 3 weeks in Thailand would sort me right out when this is all over! 

Trouble is there's probably 100 million people with the same idea! :)

On 18/04/2020 at 22:06, bolton_blondie said:

I will start

favourite is Zakynthos

Least favourite Malta, like bloody Cocoon. 

My least favourite is Zakynthos. Although I did go on a two week piss up in Laganas, so didnt see the best parts. Anywhere where you have to chuck your used shit roll in a bin rather than the toilet is a dump.

Favourite is Italy. Specifically Lake Garda and the Amalfi Coast.

32 minutes ago, dave2980 said:

Its a lot better than it was. It has more than one food outlet for starters (including a KFC).

Still shite like.

First time I went there, about 4 planes all landed within about 10 minutes of each other, it was bedlam. Ended up stood outside on the tarmac for about 2 hours, and it was hot as fuck. Got through immigration, and there was just a huge mountain of baggage piled up. It took ages to find out bag.

I've been three times, and each time it's got a little bit better, but I doubt I'll go again, due to the vast amount of ignorant Russians that seem to be pitching up there now

4 minutes ago, Sweep said:

First time I went there, about 4 planes all landed within about 10 minutes of each other, it was bedlam. Ended up stood outside on the tarmac for about 2 hours, and it was hot as fuck. Got through immigration, and there was just a huge mountain of baggage piled up. It took ages to find out bag.

Sounds like Zante

• Members

In terms of Europe I think the best place I’ve been for a sunny holiday is Corfu. Great people, fairly cheap, quiet, no riff raff. We got married there at the Atalantica Grand it was incredible. Can’t wait to go back.

Sorrento in Italy was brilliant as well but very pricey.

On 19/04/2020 at 08:10, Breightmet Boy said:

I was thinking of going there for the cricket at the end of March, couldn’t be arsed with all the doctors appointments and injections needed.  

The nicest place I’ve been is Sweden, gorgeous place, the railway ride from Copenhagen to Gothenburg was stunning, Gothenburg is nice for a city too I thought, spotless.   The worst place I’ve been is Bacu Azerbaijan, luckily we flew in and out for the game, absolute shithole of a place, the Land Of Fire they call it, it’s a concrete shit tip as I saw it.

I thought Barbados was a bit of a dump in areas around our hotel, but the people I spoke to on cruises told me it’s the best of the islands.

We were there (Baku) for the under 21's when it was boiling hot, the senior game the day after was lashing it down with 100mph winds

Edited by athywhite1958