Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Dogs. (Not another Miami/Little Whitt dating thread)

Rudy

32 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Does anyone give away a decent young adult dog though? A  lot are in shelters because folk can’t cope with them due to behavioural problems.Whatever you get, i’d advise getting one from a pup, yeh the first 6-9 months are tough,but worth it in the end. Another shout for Border Collies here, great dogs - energy to burn and very intelligent.

In answer to your question, lots do.  There's loads of great dogs left abandoned in shelters because of idiot owners that either didn't put the time in, do their research or just changed their minds about owning a dog.

You have to put more work into rescue dogs because many will have picked up behavioural issues - separation anxiety usually for one but the rewards are massive.

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Dr Faustus said:

Don't get a dalmatian; ours is ace, but he's a crazy bastard. Hates the rain, loves cushions. Sure he has selective hearing too

Sounds like he should have been female.

• Site Supporter
58 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

All the dogs in the family are rescue and all of em have been brilliant with the little un.

Had to have ours put down the other week and we can't wait to be able to go to the dog home and pick out a new one.

The dogs home will be able to tell you which dogs will be good with kids. Female dogs will be your best bet if you're worried about mini Rudy

This. They will have been assessed and you should get the opportunity to meet/take it on a little walk before you're allowed to have it.

We got a big lurcher from Bolton dogs home years ago, he walked in the house first time, sniffed around then just lay down and signed. As if a big wave of relief came over him and he was as good as gold.

House trained and none destructive, didn't need too much walking, and could be left. Brilliant.

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, jeep said:

Just thought of another good dog - greyhounds. 

Cousins used to race them at Bolton & Howfen. They kept a few as pets once retired. 

Absolutely superb dogs.

Yep.

Like my lurcher, don't need as much exercise as people think, and super house dogs.

Might even catch your tea for you if its that way inclined!

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Yep.

Like my lurcher, don't need as much exercise as people think, and super house dogs.

Might even catch your tea for you if its that way inclined!

I couldn't believe how friendly they were. Very gentle and loving. 

My mam had a greyhound. Went to dogs home and asked what had been there longest and it was a greyhound. Best pet she’s ever had and they were inseparable. Lazy bastard it was though. If you took it out would run round like a dafty then home and just wanted to sleep. 

oh and eat. Greediest cunt I’ve ever seen.  You couldn’t take your eye off your food or It was a goner. Like a prized assassin. Stealth like and just gone in a flash 

Edited by Escobarp

Never had a dog but always wanted one.

Read all the shite online but from you folk who've had dogs are there any that won't mind being left alone for 8/9 hours ? 

People point you towards rescue greyhounds in the main and I know every dog is different but have you any real world input ?

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

They do some proper sleeping them lads

My collies do, it's just that I only need to get up to go for piss or to make a brew and they're ready to go out again.

Amazing beasts really, can go from deep sleep to full on charge mode in a millisecond.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

My man had a greyhound. Went to dogs home and asked what had been there longest and it was a greyhound. Best pet she’s ever had and they were inseparable. Lazy bastard it was though. If you took it out would run round like a dafty then home and just wanted to sleep. 

oh and eat. Greediest cunt I’ve ever seen.  You couldn’t take your eye off your food or It was a goner. Like a prized assassin. Stealth like and just gone in a flash 

Yep. All familiar, mine ate a full pack of butter once- forgot to put it in the fridge after shopping and he sniffed it out.

A master at counter surfing, especially as he was so big.

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Yep. All familiar, mine ate a full pack of butter once- forgot to put it in the fridge after shopping and he sniffed it out.

A master at counter surfing, especially as he was so big.

Yeah once me and our kid had been arguing over who was having what pizza that mum had bought. So I decided to be the better man and said he could have the one we both wanted. Shoved them in the oven and said I would get them out. Got mine and left the kitchen door open nodded to the dog and then sat down watched the dog get up then shouted our kid to tell him it was out on the side .......

it was crumbs by the time he got in the kitchen which was only a few seconds. Piping hot but didn’t stop the greedy fucker. Never seen him so angry in all my life. I nearly wet myself. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Yeah once me and our kid had been arguing over who was having what pizza that mum had bought. So I decided to be the better man and said he could have the one we both wanted. Shoved them in the oven and said I would get them out. Got mine and left the kitchen door open nodded to the dog and then sat down watched the dog get up then shouted our kid to tell him it was out on the side .......

it was crumbs by the time he got in the kitchen which was only a few seconds. Piping hot but didn’t stop the greedy fucker. Never seen him so angry in all my life. I nearly wet myself. 

🤣

You've never boiled a bunny 🐰 have you? :)

15 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Never had a dog but always wanted one.

Read all the shite online but from you folk who've had dogs are there any that won't mind being left alone for 8/9 hours ? 

People point you towards rescue greyhounds in the main and I know every dog is different but have you any real world input ?

Personally, I think that's too long.  They're pack animals and generally need company, even more than they need exercise.  Lockdown stuff aside, theres loads of doggy day care places around and dog walking services that could help break its day up.  That would be a far better life than it being stuck in a pound.

• Site Supporter

We have a Labrador, soft as it gets from a dogs point of view. Wouldn’t hurt a fly.

Greedy little sod but was easy to train and loves walking. They are great - would highly recommend and will get another one this one has croaked