Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Mike Ashley

jules_darby

• Members
1 minute ago, RoadRunnerFan said:

He's minted and instead of spaffing his money on it he tried, fairly successfully I think, to get the club to wash it's own face. 

How many times were they promoted under him?

• Members
Just now, RoadRunnerFan said:

Relegated twice and promoted twice wasnt it? 

So the club is going to be financially secure, then, He might have pocketed a pretty penny but that’s business. They’re not in risk of going into debt, wealthy owners are going to come in and spend some money. 
Id take him. 

Me too. 

No further back than when he found them but not losing money which counts as progress when you look at the money been spent to get ahead of where they are. I'm looking at you W*lves.

Not everybody can do a Sheffield United!

Edited by RoadRunnerFan

10 hours ago, Escobarp said:

He would divide opinion that’s for sure.

The Ashley out facebook and twitter mobs orchestrated by the supporters trust undoubtedly who would of course request a new “fighting fund” and ask folk to dig deep to fund it 

for me if he’s willing to put his hard earned in and wants to take us back towards the top again then it would be a yes from me. 

I love what FV have done for the club and the way they go about things but I’m also mindful that they don’t have the financial clout it would appear to operate at anything above the level we are currently unless there is a master plan or a war chest we aren’t aware of 

He doesn't strike me as the type to throw money at it.

I doubt he's interested at all, but personally I'd prefer to see what FV have in mind for us over the next few years.

35 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

He doesn't strike me as the type to throw money at it.

I doubt he's interested at all, but personally I'd prefer to see what FV have in mind for us over the next few years.

Same, I love how they've come across so far particularly aunty Sharon and the way they're trying to heal past divisions and bring the club closer to the community and give us a realistic existence, I'd take all that over dreaming of the PL again.

But because I like them, I wouldn't want to see anyone involved with FV go into financial oblivion because of us. If everything that's happened since they came in makes us too much of a money bin for them to continue and they want to find another buyer, it'd be sad but understandable.

11 hours ago, Rudy’s Message said:

What are the pros and cons of what he has done at Newcastle?

What exactly are they constantly flapping their lips at?

I seem to remember he cleared Newcastle’s debt when he bought them and think it was couple of hundred million.  

edit: purchase and to clear debt was over £200 million.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/ashley-reveals-newcastle-had-pound100m-debt-395156.html

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Same, I love how they've come across so far particularly aunty Sharon and the way they're trying to heal past divisions and bring the club closer to the community and give us a realistic existence, I'd take all that over dreaming of the PL again.

But because I like them, I wouldn't want to see anyone involved with FV go into financial oblivion because of us. If everything that's happened since they came in makes us too much of a money bin for them to continue and they want to find another buyer, it'd be sad but understandable.

Fair point that last bit.

I just hope that our current efl imposed belt tightening has put us in a position somewhat stronger than most.

When we were needing a buyer I was happy enough with the rumours Ashley was sniffing.

However I'm very happy with the current lot- even if Keith Hill isn't appearing to be a good selection.

14 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Whelan and Ashley hate each other.If Ashley was looking for a lower divisions club to revive the one WIganers love to hate would be a good one for him.

I’m sure letting personal spats guide his business decisions have led to his great wealth. So I would agree he’s highly likely to buy us 🙄

If it's true that he wants to invest in an EFL club with a healthy fanbase, we're probably one of a handful that could make financial sense.  

Most championship clubs are creaking under the weight of debt and existing wage bills and I cant think of many in that division that would be a sound investment.  Bristol City or PNE perhaps?

In L1 & L2 - Sunderland (that would be funny), us, Oxford, Bradford and Plymouth seem to fit the bill.  Own their own ground, fanbase, potential to be higher in the league than they are, no major debts (unlike say, Ipswich) and owners who might be looking to flip their asset (might exclude Pompey?)