Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

1923 cup final

Mounts Kipper

Billy died in December 1930, and as a mark of his service to the police force one of his hooves was made into an inkwell and given to Scorey as a gift.

How times have changed, can you imagine that kind of thing happening now

Reading the article JW Makant JP was Bolton chairman, had a little google search seems he was leading industrialists of the time but not much info about him but his sons went to Harrow and excelled at sport, both joined the army and fought in the 14-18 war, one died shot my a sniper the other continued to serve in the army and was executed in Mesopotamia. 

https://www.loyalregiment.com/captain-angus-virtue-makant/

https://www.loyalregiment.com/captain-robert-keith-makant-m-c/

just found an antique book from 1905 on eBay which gives info on all the big clubs chairman and Makant is listed so it’s in the basket and bought. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

58 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

just found an antique book from 1905 on eBay which gives info on all the big clubs chairman and Makant is listed so it’s in the basket and bought. 

I mean this in a nice way, but I have visions of your house being piled high with programmes, books and all manner of historic BWFC related stuff  -  like one of those horder houses 😀

hoarders2.jpg

58 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’m still trying to get to the bottom of who the 5 Bolton fans were who flew to the game. I’m thinking Makant might of been one. 

I am afraid not - the 5 that travelled from Bolton along with 2 friends from Manchester were due to fly back that same night 

Makant was hosting the celebratory dinner in London as evidenced below 

A menu for the celebratory dinner celebrating Bolton Wanderers ...

30 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I mean this in a nice way, but I have visions of your house being piled high with programmes, books and all manner of historic BWFC related stuff  -  like one of those horder houses 😀

hoarders2.jpg

I’ve had to chuck my programmes away except for the cup finals, finals and a couple of 70s programmes, luckily I rarely buy books other than stuff related to BWFC and football, so it’s not too bad. 

32 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

I am afraid not - the 5 that travelled from Bolton along with 2 friends from Manchester were due to fly back that same night 

Makant was hosting the celebratory dinner in London as evidenced below 

A menu for the celebratory dinner celebrating Bolton Wanderers ...

Good detective work Benny. 

Hotel Russell still there looks very nice, might spend a night there next time I’m in London. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

16 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Good detective work Benny. 

Hotel Russell still there looks very nice, might spend a night there next time I’m in London. 

Yes it has a certain period charm  - sort of place where you could with very few changes recreate it as it was back in 1923 

Think I am right in saying the Hotel Russell was used after all the Wembley wins for a celebratory dinner - in fact there are some pictures of the 1958 dinner knocking around which I might still have copies of ( If I can locate them i will load them on here ) there are literally hundreds of people at the Banquet. 

With regard to those 5 Wanderers fans who flew to the 1923 final I am less interested in knowing who they are and more interested to know If they actually got to see the game. 

53 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

Yes it has a certain period charm  - sort of place where you could with very few changes recreate it as it was back in 1923 

Think I am right in saying the Hotel Russell was used after all the Wembley wins for a celebratory dinner - in fact there are some pictures of the 1958 dinner knocking around which I might still have copies of ( If I can locate them i will load them on here ) there are literally hundreds of people at the Banquet. 

With regard to those 5 Wanderers fans who flew to the 1923 final I am less interested in knowing who they are and more interested to know If they actually got to see the game. 

Look forward to you loading them on here, I guess we will need to find out who the Famous 5 were to find out if they got there or not. 

3 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Reading the article JW Makant JP was Bolton chairman, had a little google search seems he was leading industrialists of the time but not much info about him but his sons went to Harrow and excelled at sport, both joined the army and fought in the 14-18 war, one died shot my a sniper the other continued to serve in the army and was executed in Mesopotamia. 

https://www.loyalregiment.com/captain-angus-virtue-makant/

https://www.loyalregiment.com/captain-robert-keith-makant-m-c/

according to this he died Xmas day of 1923

http://www.boltonsmayors.org.uk/tree-makant-w.pdf

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Bloody hell! Not much chance to enjoy the 23 win and missed 26/29 wins. Not much of an age either. 

What was that you were saying the other day about folks would have watched all the finals from 1894 - 1958 

Tell you if you were born circa 1880 your average male life expectancy was about 45 - thats across the UK 

If you were born in Bolton it would be lower. 

You have poverty,  pollution , Spanish flu and other diseases  , boer war & world war one ( lots of local lads joined up )  , and the hazards of working in the mills and mines and the associated chest diseases to contend with 

And dont forget all them years of watching the Wanderers - that alone would take years off your life expectancy - and all that beer and fags to keep you going 

Apart from that life was good .. 

But I agree  it is nice to think someone born circa 1880 or thereabouts managed to get to Goodison at say age 14 in 1894  , then onto Crystal Palace and then Wembley several times over  .

Would make em about 78 in 1958 - that's a grand age for them days.