Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Goal Posts

Happy Wanderer

The photo in the 1923 thread got me thinking about how goal post evolved over the years and the history behind the changes. Strange to think that once they used string tied to the tops 🙃

Here are a few links with some history.

Even though they are not made from wood now we still refer to hitting the 'woodwork'.

https://www.harrodsport.com/advice-and-guides/a-history-of-the-football-goalpost

https://gdfra.org.au/history_of_goalposts.htm

45c418e9b9e90d8451e7a97acd564d5f.jpg

• Moderators

It Was 76

Munich v PSG

And main reason for remembering it is the frogs hit the frame and there was discussion that if it'd been round it would've gone on

Vaguely recollect a story PSG bought the goalposts

I'm a bit of a goal net nerd. I make no apologies. Any slight variation in the nets a team is using, I'll notice.

Seen someone retweet a photo of AEK Athens' goals from the 90s recently, curved angle between post and bar rather than square. Interesting, and possibly not allowed!

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Spider said:

Southampton

Whilst reading up on the history of nets, because lockdown, i came across this

"The entirety of Matt Le Tissier’s career, it turns out, was dedicated to the quest of finding a way to score a goal that didn’t make the ball rebound unsatisfyingly back on to the pitch."

37 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

I'm a bit of a goal net nerd. I make no apologies. Any slight variation in the nets a team is using, I'll notice.

Seen someone retweet a photo of AEK Athens' goals from the 90s recently, curved angle between post and bar rather than square. Interesting, and possibly not allowed!

Used to have a collection of different nets for my subbuteo set up 

sad really😀

• Site Supporter
35 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Collectible I have you know 

spoons is shite and the owners a cnut 

Hmmm, I thought that but Jaipur at £2.39 a pint in New Malden?

I’m allowed to reconsider...

2 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Fuck the owner, top service, decent food and Beer at top top prices, and for exercise its brilliant because you have to walk up at least 86 steps to go for a piss, or in the Colonel's case, his customary shit!

Top service

you wasn’t saying that in Peterborough 

1 hour ago, ZicoKelly said:

Whilst reading up on the history of nets, because lockdown, i came across this

"The entirety of Matt Le Tissier’s career, it turns out, was dedicated to the quest of finding a way to score a goal that didn’t make the ball rebound unsatisfyingly back on to the pitch."

Mark Hughes scored one at the Dell didnt he, that didnt count as a goal as it bounced out so fast and ref didnt see it!

2 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Personally liked the old Wembley nets (1970/80's) and those at USA 94 weren't to bad either.

Sunday league though, we always had a pair of shit Orange ones, no pegs, just used sticks and twigs 😁

And housebricks

56 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Sunday league though, we always had a pair of shit Orange ones, no pegs, just used sticks and twigs 😁

Sticks and twigs !

What was wrong with jumpers ?

• Members

La Liga teams used to have huge nets, the sort of nets they would use on deadliest catch. 
Barcelona stuck 9 past a team and the poor cunt of a keeper must have walked 2 miles picking the ball out of the back of the net.