Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton born, never played for the club

Happy Wanderer

8 hours ago, Farrelli said:

Thought he played full back ?

Jay Jay Oghani knows this lad I think, I remember him by sight as he was from AB.

Both right really. Simon played at full back originally but John Beck played him as a forward. From memory I thought he played wide that day against us. Remember he hated John Beck. 

Two Kearsley lads worth a mention. Thomas Mort born 1897 played 28 times for Rochdale before being sold to Villa for £1000

about 1921 - prob a decent fee then. Went on to play 337 games in defence for Villa and 3 times for England. He would bolster

the defence. Other one may be remembered by thowder end - Joe Hayes had already worked in a mill and the pit when given a trial

at Man City  aged 17. Scored 2 against Spurs 2 months later and played a total of 331 times for City including 1955/6 FA cup finals,

scoring one goal.

16 minutes ago, Woznotwas said:

Two Kearsley lads worth a mention. Thomas Mort born 1897 played 28 times for Rochdale before being sold to Villa for £1000

about 1921 - prob a decent fee then. Went on to play 337 games in defence for Villa and 3 times for England. He would bolster

the defence. Other one may be remembered by thowder end - Joe Hayes had already worked in a mill and the pit when given a trial

at Man City  aged 17. Scored 2 against Spurs 2 months later and played a total of 331 times for City including 1955/6 FA cup finals,

scoring one goal.

That is a really good call - decent player by all accounts 

In fact I went to primary school with his son - they lived on Plodder Lane at the time

Joe was in the same Manchester City 1955 Cup Final team as Jimmy Meadows who I mentioned earlier in this thread - City had a decent side in them days 

22 hours ago, miamiwhite said:

Graham Allen....Morris Green lad who played for Everton and Liverpool's second biggest club,Tranmere 

Lee Howarth....think he was a Breightmet lad, made his league debut belatedly aged 23 for Peterborough....played with Lee in the town team alongside Moulden, Darby and Welch.

Alan Kirkman...Man City and Newcastle....his son is a well known face at the match, a good few off here will know him.

Howarths are from Harwood. Lee's brother Neil played for Macc in the league too. My step dad was big pals with their old man, we saw them play on opposite sides Macc v Barnet late nineties. 

Just now, RoadRunnerFan said:

Howarths are from Harwood. Lee's brother Neil played for Macc in the league too. My step dad was big pals with their old man, we saw them play on opposite sides Macc v Barnet late nineties. 

Harwood/Breightmet....same thing mate 🤭😉