Jump to content
Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion
Sign in to follow this  
Happy Wanderer

Bolton born, never played for the club

Recommended Posts

Ollie Norburn - ran the show for Shrewsbury against us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Not really a hotbed of football talent. Thing we need to cast our net wider

Howfen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Casino said:

Tbh, Lawton wins

Hands down 

Agree tommy Lawton was the one that got away read is autobiography and all he wanted to do was play for club as a kid Bolton tried to sign him but Burnley tapped is dad up offered him a job as grounds man assistant and gave them a   house so is dad said your going there . Also nats hero growing up both went to castle hill school 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Traf said:

Nicky Adams

I worked with Nicky Adams uncle Pete for years, a died in the wool BW fan.  He used to watch Nicky as much as possible, which meant watching a lot of Bury and Rochdale.  Then he went to Crawley, they simply offered more money, seems hard to believe that anyone would go to Crawley for the cash (Morais too?).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

Agree tommy Lawton was the one that got away read is autobiography and all he wanted to do was play for club as a kid Bolton tried to sign him but Burnley tapped is dad up offered him a job as grounds man assistant and gave them a   house so is dad said your going there . Also nats hero growing up both went to castle hill school 

It was a good book that one , didn't he end up virtually penniless?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once got talking to Phil Stant outside Su's Chippy in AB. Said he'd love to play for Bolton. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Farnywhite said:

Agree tommy Lawton was the one that got away read is autobiography and all he wanted to do was play for club as a kid Bolton tried to sign him but Burnley tapped is dad up offered him a job as grounds man assistant and gave them a   house so is dad said your going there . Also nats hero growing up both went to castle hill school 

Tommy Lawton didn't attend Castle Hill mate ,I think he was born and lived in Castleton St facing the school football pitch but he went to Folds Rd school. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Used to play with Stan when we were kids, he was a bit of a soft arse & a titliner in those days, God lad though. Certainly toughened him up in the army 😁

Played in Bolton boys fed for lads club with Phil, our manager was not very good Phil was our goalie

Also used to play on St Mathews field down Halliwell on a Sunday afternoon.

Last time I seen him was on the 501 bus when I was about 15,told me he had just been to Army careers office and he was joining up.

 

If I remember right his sister was also in the army.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, masi 51 said:

Played in Bolton boys fed for lads club with Phil, our manager was not very good Phil was our goalie

Also used to play on St Mathews field down Halliwell on a Sunday afternoon.

Last time I seen him was on the 501 bus when I was about 15,told me he had just been to Army careers office and he was joining up.

 

If I remember right his sister was also in the army.

I used to play on St Matts as well mainly of an evening iirc... I reckon we must must know each other 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, masi 51 said:

Played in Bolton boys fed for lads club with Phil, our manager was not very good Phil was our goalie

Also used to play on St Mathews field down Halliwell on a Sunday afternoon.

Last time I seen him was on the 501 bus when I was about 15,told me he had just been to Army careers office and he was joining up.

 

If I remember right his sister was also in the army.

Shirley worked at Townleys last time I saw her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going back to perhaps 1979. And the was a JC  but he was DMB so no it was not me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

I am going back to perhaps 1979. And the was a JC  but he was DMB so no it was not me

78 for me. I asked because their was a JC & he also played for the Strollers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tommy Lawton was ace. My grandad loved him.

He come to Everton to replace the greatest of them all, who was also his idol....although he would he been all players idol tbh.

Think his grandad was given a groundsman job too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So has a best of line up been agreed:

Nash, Stephens, Hill, Meadows, Flitcroft, Ainscow, Ball, Norburn, Mariner, Lawton, Fletcher.

The defence is not that great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simon Burton - Preston defender  who conceded penalty that Supa John scored to give us promotion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bwfc2003 said:

Simon Burton - Preston defender  who conceded penalty that Supa John scored to give us promotion

indeed, but he was a centre forward, not a defender.....fuck knows what he was doing there to concede the penalty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sweep said:

indeed, but he was a centre forward, not a defender.....fuck knows what he was doing there to concede the penalty

Thought he played full back ?

Jay Jay Oghani knows this lad I think, I remember him by sight as he was from AB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

78 for me. I asked because their was a JC & he also played for the Strollers. 

The JC you are talking about was a  few years younger.....His brother SC played in those sunday games on St Mathews

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Sweep said:

Tomski

Ah, but was he born in Bolton..?

Edited by DazBob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

The JC you are talking about was a  few years younger.....His brother SC played in those sunday games on St Mathews

Yeah Ste was my age, Jay a few years younger. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.