Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Lockdown Retro Gaming

MancWanderer

Handed over my XBox 360 to the grandson so he can play Sonic The Hedgehog (apparently it’s big again now?) and I only ever used the thing as a DVD player 

Anyway went in the loft and retrieved my PlayStation 2 and Gran Turismo 4. Fucking hell I’d forgotten how addictive these games are. Graphics are a bit shit but my word I can’t put the fucking thing down. I’d happily sit here on it all day and night if I could 

• Members

I love a good retro game 

I still have all the PlayStations, Metal Gear Solid series is a particular favourite of mine.

Tried to get hold of a mega drive and Super Nintendo but they’re really expensive.

• Members
Just now, Escobarp said:

I succumbed to an Xbox one the other week. Fifa daft although I’m shit. Call of duty as well 

but I also love the old games. Remember frogger? Or am I showing my age here?,

There’s a retro arcade in Manchester and they had it in there 

Have a look for PRG on Facebook. They do consoles with 20,000+ preinstalled for about £100. There's an app as well that does a similar thing. Games from pretty much every system from ZX spectrum onwards up to PS2 including arcade games.

I bought one about a year back. Amazing bit of kit! 

I bought metal gear solid on my ps3 when I had a HD 50 inch... Its not the same as a 15 inch shitter int corner of your bedroom.

Anyway. I've not done consoles since the lad was born but I've bought him Minecraft, lego Star wars and crash bandicoot on the ps3. 

Gonna go spuds deep on a ps5 in November! 🤣 

1 hour ago, Rudy’s Message said:

I love a good retro game 

I still have all the PlayStations, Metal Gear Solid series is a particular favourite of mine.

Tried to get hold of a mega drive and Super Nintendo but they’re really expensive.

I’ve got a Mega Drive but couldn’t get it to work (black screen). Got it out of the loft so that grandson could play Sonic. Ended up giving him my XBox and bought him a Sonic game off  Amazon as I prefer the PS2 anyway

You’re welcome to my Mega Drive if you want it and you think you can get it working. The Lambretta thread makes me think you can. Happy to drop it off when I do a shop for mother and am in Bolton

• Members
9 hours ago, gonzo said:

gimps.

You are 

8 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

I’ve got a Mega Drive but couldn’t get it to work (black screen). Got it out of the loft so that grandson could play Sonic. Ended up giving him my XBox and bought him a Sonic game off  Amazon as I prefer the PS2 anyway

You’re welcome to my Mega Drive if you want it and you think you can get it working. The Lambretta thread makes me think you can. Happy to drop it off when I do a shop for mother and am in Bolton

Haha cheers mate, apparently they won’t run through smart TVs something to do With the RF cable 

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Escobarp said:

Best football game ever for me was sensible world of soccer. Lost a lot of my youth playing that. Addicted to it 

Same here

Sign Tony Daley, play him up front

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Ani said:

We play golf on the Wi everyday at 16:30. 

Just on Wi sports. Quality. 

I've tried but never really got into consoles, had a PS2 and played pro ev a lot, but tended to get bored quickly

Then i came across Wii sports, and mario kart online

That's all you need

9 hours ago, DazBob said:

There's one in Bury. Two or three floors and do decent grub too.

Only been to the Bury one, but the same company have opened a branch in Warrington as well. Must admit I can only do about 40 minutes in there before I need a brew and some natural light, but I swear there are people in there who don’t leave for days on end. 

I’ve been hammering Champ Manager 01/02, but it’s got a little stale after 7 consecutive Premier League wins for Bolton. The front rows have been built, Ronaldinho has signed a new deal because of his “love for the club”, Anelka is sulking and Wayne Rooney plays for Sutton Utd. 

• Moderators

My mate had an Atari 2600 when we were kids

Loved it

He brought me a new retro one loaded with games for my birthday couple of years ago

Lasted 5 minutes

Utter shite

• Members
29 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Ah OK. Thought it was me being thick

They’ve released a mega drive pre loaded with about 50 games can get them from Argos, all ready for newer TV’s

Ive always played computers games, still so now, play with people from work and have competitions and leagues.

Great for passing the time when I’m away, good stress and anxiety relievers as well.

PS5 later this year is a must.

4 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

They’ve released a mega drive pre loaded with about 50 games can get them from Argos, all ready for newer TV’s

Ive always played computers games, still so now, play with people from work and have competitions and leagues.

Great for passing the time when I’m away, good stress and anxiety relievers as well.

PS5 later this year is a must.

SNES and PS1 too, HDMI connection so can play on modern TVs fine.

All easily hackable to load 100s of games on there so in reality you only need one of them and then play whatever you like.

• Site Supporter

I jump on the Xbox every now and then. GTA, Red Dead Redemption and Fifa. 

Still have have an Amiga 500 and of course Sensible Soccer, James Pond, Cm93’ Monkey Island 1 & 2 Cannon Fodder, Flashback Speedball 2 and Lemmings and a load of other games, Still got copies I did at school. 

Also got an Amstrad CPC464 but never get that out much anymore! Games take too long to load. 😂

Had the mega drive and then went to PlayStations. 

nowt beats the original Star Wars arcade machine though