Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wilbraham Day

Ruba Mustafa

On this day two years ago Aaron Wilbraham wrote his name in history by scoring one of the most important goals in our history.

That goal was absolute class! 

The long goal kick, flick on, the run by Le fondre and cross,,,,, but what a run by Wilbraham, the way he angled out then turned inwards and lost his marker was fantastic and a lesson for all young strikers.

i never tire of watching that goal.

we should have our own bank holiday in Bolton every year called Wilbraham Day.😊

Amazing day and night, the best ever. Never thought a home game would ever trump some of the experiences we've had at away games or abroad.

That photo of Wilbraham connecting with the header should be a huge black and white image in the entrance to the stadium, transcript of Dearden's commentary should be on a long banner between the two tiers of the East Stand. Those two pitch invasions really made the stadium feel like ours, after so many years.

3 minutes ago, Dr Faustus said:

A mate of mine went home at half time and wrote us off. 

He supports Salford now

I remember looking round, waiting for a flag to be raised. Just didn't sink in. Amazing

That is bleak.

3 minutes ago, Dr Faustus said:

He supports Salford now

I remember looking round, waiting for a flag to be raised. Just didn't sink in. Amazing

In that case, shouldn’t that read “former mate”?

Still get chills when I think about that day. 

I'd already resigned myself to relegation when we went 2-1 down so hadn't been checking on how Burton or Barnsley were getting on.  Dearden's commentary still gives me goosebumps but the moment is still behind Frandsens goal against Middlesbrough for me. Just 

• Site Supporter

My lads first game was Wednesday away when he scored in injury time.  He instantly became his hero as he was "launched about by randomers".

Forest at home will live with him forever.

Its why we go to football.

Amazing day and the celebrations afterwards were something else. 

However...

I didn’t appreciate that goal as much as others at the time (wished I did), as I wasn’t 100% sure that other results had gone in our favour. Surely can’t have been the only one. 

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, stevieb said:

Saw the teamsheet... Wilbraham what the fuck is he playing at... 

Amazing game. One of my favourite football experiences 

I was very very close to staying in the hotel when I saw the team sheet. Maybe Parky knows his onions

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Should be Le fondre day 

he changed the game 

amazing how many suck wilbraham off on social media, most of the time he got slated 

Correct - like the Matthews final. The main mon without being the main scoring hero.

Lets face it, Wilbo was past his best and is a L1 striker at best - hence the reason why he hardly played

21 hours ago, Dr Faustus said:

Grimmy jr

Sad that, his dad was my oppo back at Burnden, he’s also moved over to Salford. They’ll soon get fed up with shite served up, I hope we smash their shithole up when we get there. Get your boxing gloves on for that one. 😂

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Yep the role le fondre played won’t be forgotten in a hurry.

the way he wheeled away after putting that cross in and ran over to the bench (?) says to me that he knew (we all do) that he put it on a plate and set up the Wilbraham wonder goal

On 06/05/2020 at 10:18, Dr Faustus said:

He supports Salford now

There were two lads who sat behind me that season and they stayed until the final whistle every single week without fail.

That day they left a couple of minutes after Forest scored their second.