Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Hat Trick's Against Bolton.

leigh white

54 minutes ago, SatanGreavsie said:

September 78 against Liverpool at Anfield - Jimmy Case. Went. Fucking like a hospital ward when people got back on the coach - not "lads" looking for trouble but ordinary blokes old and young with their lasses ministering to smashed up noses, claret all over the shop, thanks to the "fairest fans in the land". Fucking cowardly cunts; what that place was like back then for visitors should never be forgotten.

But it will continue to be

A neighbour drove us and a few mates to that match, he worked in Liverpool and knew a few pals what lived in the area, he parked up near the South side of the ground and his mates he met advised us to go on the Kop and keep our gobs shut, what they had in for Bolton that day i don't know.

7 hours ago, leigh white said:

A neighbour drove us and a few mates to that match, he worked in Liverpool and knew a few pals what lived in the area, he parked up near the South side of the ground and his mates he met advised us to go on the Kop and keep our gobs shut, what they had in for Bolton that day i don't know.

Yep I remember this too, coming out the Anfield Road end the police were trying to hold them back but they were throwing punches over the barriers. We were so crammed in it was difficult to defend yourself. I got a shiner, I saw it coming but couldn't get my hands up or my move my head up to stop it. Couple this with the Goodison semi-final going to Liverpool was not pleasant. I too have never forgotten and often wondered where Liverpool got their friendly reputation from.

2 hours ago, nantwichwhite said:

Yep I remember this too, coming out the Anfield Road end the police were trying to hold them back but they were throwing punches over the barriers. We were so crammed in it was difficult to defend yourself. I got a shiner, I saw it coming but couldn't get my hands up or my move my head up to stop it. Couple this with the Goodison semi-final going to Liverpool was not pleasant. I too have never forgotten and often wondered where Liverpool got their friendly reputation from.

I'd gone with a mate from school. As we got close to the ground, crossing the park, we realised we were heading into a group waiting to ambush Bolton fans. As two skinny 15 year olds we were sitting ducks (and he was a bit naïve about the dangers), so I held back a bit and tried my best scouse accent asking an old bloke the time or summat. That seemed to work and meant I blended in a bit. But they twigged my mate and stopped him. When asked where he was  from he points back at me and in the broadest Bolton accent replies "we're from Bolton". "Thanks for that, you cunt" I thought. So we get surrounded and I get a slap but as we were close to the ground they didn't want to do anything too obvious. They had others plans. I can still picture one of the fuckers standing in front of mate saying "I'll remember you" (he was a lanky lad with blond hair, so stood out) - "I'm going to break that nose after the game". Then they actually got quite "friendly". "Away bit is round here lads" trying the shepherd us  - and him especially - round to the Anfield road end. Their main fucker was creaming himself at the thought of being able to pick my mate out at the end of the game and boot his face to fuck, just for the fun of it. Not get in a fight or have a bit of a bundle - just to crack a defenceless nose he'd taken a dislike to. Fortunately I had my wits about me and dragged my mate into the side stand. The look of disappointment on the scouser's face told you summat. Anyhow, in the ground the ones in that terrace were fine and some mum there with young kids twigged us but looked after us. With 10 minutes to go, and 3-0 down anyhow, I dragged my mate off. I say dragged as the naïve sod seemed to have forgotten the danger he was in. We legged it over the park to the coach. The in due course the others started arriving. I remember first on was a lad whose missus was sorting his bloodied nose out, cursing the locals to high heaven. But it turned out she was a nurse and soon enough she had more to do as the rest of the walking wounded appeared. She was practically triaging people getting back on the coach, it was that bad. All because the locals didn't want a fight, they just wanted to maim.

• Site Supporter
16 hours ago, SatanGreavsie said:

September 78 against Liverpool at Anfield - Jimmy Case. Went. Fucking like a hospital ward when people got back on the coach - not "lads" looking for trouble but ordinary blokes old and young with their lasses ministering to smashed up noses, claret all over the shop, thanks to the "fairest fans in the land". Fucking cowardly cunts; what that place was like back then for visitors should never be forgotten.

But it will continue to be

i was 13 and went with my dad, we spent more time dodging coins and darts than watching the game.

scouse c..nts

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, victor meldrew said:

i was 13 and went with my dad, we spent more time dodging coins and darts than watching the game.

scouse c..nts

Darts at football games was never fun. Or coins for that matter. Hated not watching a game for fear of being hit with something.

5 hours ago, leigh white said:

This happened at Anfield in 78.

image.jpeg.49dc355d860257a0c639ff62e040a817.jpeg

That's actually a clip from the most disastrous ever last round in Bullseye history.  A shocked Jim Bowen, on the right, manfully sticks to the script: "just look at what you could have won: it's a top of the range speedboat, with a year's worth of mooring rights in Tamworth". It was, alas, never broadcast.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, SatanGreavsie said:

That's actually a clip from the most disastrous ever last round in Bullseye history.  A shocked Jim Bowen, on the right, manfully sticks to the script: "just look at what you could have won: it's a top of the range speedboat, with a year's worth of mooring rights in Tamworth". It was, alas, never broadcast.

Was that the night that David Blunkett threw for charity? 

10 hours ago, SatanGreavsie said:

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin one....