Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

V E Day

Spider

1 hour ago, Spider said:

Just been out for my daily exercise on the bike.

Heard a racket from a nearby estate.

Some cunt had got a bouncy castle on the street. Kids all over it.

Unreal.

just bean for a drive looking for some hayfever tabs 

few posh estates loads of garden partys all apart chatting drinking keeping there distance

went on Hag Fold  fuck me was a free for all

like a England away game wife beating tops cans of wife beater

plastic patio furniture everywhere

• Members
19 minutes ago, little whitt said:

just bean for a drive looking for some hayfever tabs 

few posh estates loads of garden partys all apart chatting drinking keeping there distance

went on Hag Fold  fuck me was a free for all

like a England away game wife beating tops cans of wife beater

plastic patio furniture everywhere

Standard Friday night that pal

12 hours ago, Boby Brno said:

The most decisive victory of WW11 was the Battle of Britain. The Yanks hadn’t even entered the war. Hitler gave up his invasion plans of the U.K. and his ability to push further east stalled due to the Luftwaffe being decimated giving the Russians the advantage. 
Mainly British pilots of course but also pilots from other commonwealth countries as well as exiled Czechs and Poles. After returning to Czechoslovakia some of the pilots were imprisoned or forced into hard labour by the communists because of their exposure to western values.

Aye. Complete bollocks that we didn’t play a huge part. If we hadn’t of held them in the Battle of Britain they’d of gone full throttle east and likely won but more importantly we wouldn’t of convinced the yanks to go in. 

Just now, Sweep said:

Indeed, a lovely time today with our neighbours, socially distancing of course

Yeah been spot on. We’ve done the same with neighbours. Went to the shop and loads of social distancing parties. Saw some wallies ignoring it (a lot older) but hey ho

Just now, L/H White said:

Serious question, do we usually celebrate ve day or is this one more popular because we're in lockdown and nothing else to do?

I don't remember this much publicity for a previous one?

VE Day celebrated each year but not normally a bank holiday. This one is due to the close proximity of May Day bank holiday and 75th anniversary being a landmark year.

8 minutes ago, tomski said:

VE Day celebrated each year but not normally a bank holiday. This one is due to the close proximity of May Day bank holiday and 75th anniversary being a landmark year.

And that there are fewer left for future big anniversaries 

• Members

Watched all of the coverage with pride and emotion. Brought up by my maternal grandparents, stories of the war, both horrific and smile inducing in equal measure, were regular features of daily life and days like this bring back fond memories for me of that wonderful generation.

The younger generation who recite mindless shite about the so called 'evils' of patriotism are to be pitied. They just don't understand nor are they ever likely to. Not convinced Covid 19 inconveniences will be enough to get them there.

One thing I always have faith in. That little dot on the globe will always produce the right leaders to face any crisis. GSTQ.

• Site Supporter

Lest we forget! My dad did his bit with Bomber Command flew with the Canadian airforce as a flight engineer based at Linton on Ouse did 34 ops towards the end of the conflict,then flew on Liberators repatriating the troops from Libya he never spoke much about it and as I was doing my own thing as a teenager we weren't all that close and then the big C got him at 52 ,my old mums way of dealing with her grief was to sling everything of my dads away medals and his possessions from the war the lot,luckily I salvaged his flight log book and have been able to trace his wartime career through it.It was weird going into the memorial room at RAF Linton and seeing a photo of him with his squadron in front of an Halifax bomber makes me very proud. 

On 07/05/2020 at 20:14, MancWanderer said:

A bit deep maybe but for me this is to remember the end of families losing folk

My dad survived in the RAF in Gibraltar and the youngest brother survived being a marine commando. The middle brother set off on a bombing mission and plane and crew have never been found.

In his 70’s my dad decided to do a history degree at Salford Uni. His thesis was about the bombing of Dresden. The first Mrs Manc typed it out and I proof read it. It made very uncomfortable reading about what we did to the folk of Dresden. They should be remembered as well. No doubt at all that a lot of Germans were happy to see the end of the war 

Its funny how even on a relatively small messageboard like this , parts of different peoples posts resonate with others individual circumstances 

As soon as I read one line in your post it got me thinking of a family situation 

My wifes aunt who turned 99 in March was in the WAAF as a Wireless operator 

Whilst there she met an RAF crew member and she fell head over heels. 

Sadly he too set off on a mission and never returned. 

After the war she returned home and had a successful career in what was the GPO

Despite several offers in the intervening years she never married 

She remains in good health and like so many of that generation has a very positive outlook 

Yesterday she was more bothered about making sure the "Old People" ( who are all 15-20 years her junior but in failing health  ) up the road are coping with lockdown rather than celebrating 

On a brighter note for her 87th birthday I managed to get her to come up to Bolton for her first and only football match (v Arsenal ) - she loved it 

Something special about that generation 

2 hours ago, Good Knee said:

Lest we forget! My dad did his bit with Bomber Command flew with the Canadian airforce as a flight engineer based at Linton on Ouse did 34 ops towards the end of the conflict,then flew on Liberators repatriating the troops from Libya he never spoke much about it and as I was doing my own thing as a teenager we weren't all that close and then the big C got him at 52 ,my old mums way of dealing with her grief was to sling everything of my dads away medals and his possessions from the war the lot,luckily I salvaged his flight log book and have been able to trace his wartime career through it.It was weird going into the memorial room at RAF Linton and seeing a photo of him with his squadron in front of an Halifax bomber makes me very proud. 

Times like this I browse through the photos of my Dad. He was with the RAF in Gibraltar that were dropping depth charges from Hudson Bombers on to the U-Boats in the Bay of Biscay. Attached photos are after they had their undercarriage shot away by a German fighter and they had to bellyflop the plane in the North African desert. The camels are the rescue party. 

10 years gone this year. A true Wanderer who followed them since his first game in the late 1920s

E49F8BD4-27CB-4DD8-88E9-27AEEB41DED7.jpeg

4CF67A90-C866-40F2-9377-1A725AF0B37E.jpeg

E352A004-9CEE-4417-8405-B0C11E36ADD2.jpeg