Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Avoiding Your Old House.

leigh white

Spent loads of years at my parents house before getting my own place, both sadly passed away now and house sold, with it being a couple of miles away, i've thought about driving past and seeing what it's like now, but thought fuck it and just remember the good times.

Mrs does the same with her grandma's. Was sold out of the family after she passed. 

We went past the other week. Whoever bought it split the garden and is selling the land as another plot to build on!

I drive past the house I grew up in all the time as it’s the main road through Bispham. Even so I always take a glance at the tree in the front garden me and my dad planted when I was about 7-8 and now eclipses the entire house and you can see it for a mile up the road. 

Pretty sure that wasn’t in the plan :D

Went past the house I moved from almost eighteen years ago t'other day...

The little 'This House is Alarmed by..." stickers were still in the corners of the windows.

We took the alarm system in question with us when we left.

The scrubbers.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

My first house I lived in isn’t there anymore sadly. Demolished to make way for a new build estate. Second one won’t be too far behind either I don’t reckon. 

one if lived most of my life in is still there however and drove past about 18 months ago when I was going to see a mate who lives round the corner. 

Edited by Escobarp

My mam and dad live in the second house we ever had and I've no feelings about it one way or the other.

The first house I ever owned and ever had kids in I walk passed pretty much every day and sometimes I think about living there but it's just bricks and mortar by and large.

Went to see my childhood house a few years back and although the house itself has hardly changed it was a genuine case of "it were all fields round here when I were a lad" - now completely surrounded by a middle class estate and not a field, tree or clough remaining for kids to play in.

We moved out of there to a very rural spot on the moors in the mid 60s but sold the house when my parents died and I have such an emotional attachment to it I find it difficult to go back even though my folks ashes are scattered there.

As Ernest says, they're just bricks and mortar but houses do evoke the memories in our heads.

• Site Supporter

Only ever lived in three houses. First it's where my mum still lives so go there often. Second was astley bridge when we first got wed. Used to go visiting former neighbours but they also moved away so no need. Still in number 3

On 16/05/2020 at 21:58, leigh white said:

Spent loads of years at my parents house before getting my own place, both sadly passed away now and house sold, with it being a couple of miles away, i've thought about driving past and seeing what it's like now, but thought fuck it and just remember the good times.

Drive past it, remember the good times, thank your parents for making them good times, but as u look at it in ur rear view mirror as u drive away, remember that a new chapter has opened, u need to ensure there’s good times ahead for u and urs, GL.

ive lived in the same house 52 years, up until 2yrs ago and ive not missed the place one bit.  my brothers and sisters have, ive not.  they wanted me to have it but too much needed doing, a three bedroom semi isnt practicle for a single lad.  The demise of the area made it so much easier though