Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Mark davies was the best technical player that robbie blake played with

Tungsten3

1 hour ago, Sweep said:

Them are some rose tinted specs that you've got there mate

I’ll admit I’m a sucker for this Sweep, but I genuinely thought he had the potential to be a world beater in the right system. 

We were weaker with him in the team, as we got overrun with him as a centre mid when playing 4-4-2. Muamba and Holden mopped up after each other incredibly well  

Barring injuries however. if he had the freedom to be the linkman between midfield and attack in a good team, I certainly believe he could be as good if not better than Delle Ali. I’ve been drinking in the garden all day however, so please take everything I say with a pinch of salt!

• Moderators

one story I heard about him was when he signed, the person who looks after all the players said

"is there anything we can get your Mark"

"yeah, can I have a 5 bedroom house?"

"ok, why?"

"always wanted one"

few weeks later

"can you get us a smaller house? that 5 bedroom one is too big"

4 hours ago, Kane57 said:

An absolute world class piss-can as well

Total piss head. 

His head fucked his career more than his knee ever did. 

Absoloutley amazing on his day, technically had everything. Means fuck all if your heads potted. 

Spent an awful lot of time hiding and never stepped up to the plate. 

Pranced about in a private box at sheff weds then cocked his move up nearly sent us under. 

Just now, gonzo said:

Total piss head. 

His head fucked his career more than his knee ever did. 

Absoloutley amazing on his day, technically had everything. Means fuck all if your heads potted. 

Spent an awful lot of time hiding and never stepped up to the plate. 

Pranced about in a private box at sheff weds then cocked his move up nearly sent us under. 

Spot on gonzo. We were lucky to have him.  Robbie Blake who was talented himself long before us is a good call of judgement I think 

On 20/05/2020 at 11:17, Johnnyrotten said:

I know its no secret that we've had more than our fair share of terrible injuries, but reading this really brings it home that a midfield 4 of Davies, Holden, Muamba and Lee that could arguably have been mainstays in the same team for years, all got career ending or threatening injuries within months of each other.  Absolute travesty, for the players themselves firstly but for the club's fortunes.  Although I will say I didnt get the whole Muamba love-in regarding his playing abilities.  I didnt enjoy watching him play at all and it summed up the joylessness of a Megson team, lacking so much in basic ability, he seemed to build a top flight career 90% on being athletic.

there's some stats somewhere, @gonzo

On 20/05/2020 at 11:22, ZicoKelly said:

aye, we were definitely unlucky with injuries

part of the problem was replacing Holden and Lee with Reo Coker and Eagles

during this time, we also had Sean Davies out with a long term injury as well

Eagles gets a lot of unwarranted stick IMO. Overall was decent for us if you compare him to list of the shite from the same period. The first time left footer against stoke at home is still one of the best technical goals I've seen at the Bok/Macron/unibol.

1 minute ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Both technically very gifted & Eagles would do his share of tracking back... Petrov was one lazy bastard though. 

He was and a luxury to have in the starting eleven however coyle knew that when signing him, when on it he was great unfortunately not enough 

9 minutes ago, Tungsten3 said:

yeah  eagles kept trying while the rest of the team often hid.

Petrov was great but for having thhe out of his depth paul robinson made it worse

Eagles was trying. Trying on my patience. Soft as shit and the pioneer of the modern day footballer 

Nah he wasn’t up to England class but was deffo a good un.

Lost his fitness with injuries then lost his work ethic towards the end.

if I was in his boots then I suppose I would have done the same, sat on my arse til my contract ran out. He didn’t play for anyone else after us tho did he. Wonder what he’s up to? 

Dont get me going on chungy, now he WAS a shithouse

3 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Wasn’t comparing ability 

I meant getting unfair criticism 

Fair enough. 

In my opinion he was wank. ‘The free role’ creative Chris was given killed us and Mears defending his flank against 2 week in week out.